SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking to add some nifty toys to my web pages.

Can anyone recommend any Javascript or DHTML books? I know a little programming, so it doesn't need to be an absolute beginner's book. I don't want to delve too much into the heavy-duty programming as I just want to add some functionality (I already use PHP). Basically some complex popups/layers, forms manipulation, etc.

Beginning Javascript seems highly rated at Amazon. But it's only got one chapter on DHTML...

Thanks in advance.

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dynamic HTML - the Definitive Reference by Danny Goodman is the ultimate DHTML reference. It covers everything you need to know and is superb. I believe Danny is releasing edition 2 very soon, so get that version if you can wait a bit. It's rated 4.5 stars at Amazon. Note however it's a reference, not a book telling you how to construct your own scripts or give you a whole batch of scripts.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

JavaScript Guru (Big Ego) Arielladog's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Although I don't have a dHTML book or anything particular on that subject, I consider myself to be a dHTML expert. How did I become that way? ALthough books are great, examining and disecting scripts are even better. That's one reason why I hang out so much at forums and even moderate one.

Coupled with this, though, a book is probably a good idea (I'm just too cheap to get one). My reccomendation even though I don't have it is Danny Goodman's JavaScript Bible, 4th edition. It covers JavaScript and DOM (the true and "future" way for dHTML). Although I can't reccomend this one specifically, I think it'll be a good one....

aDog

P.S>-I kind of have a dHTML tutorial, but I'm trying to revamp it a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big up ya chest boys & girls,

if you're coming from a programming background, JavaScript The Definitive Guide By David Flanagan is wicked to learn from and as a reference its great.

I found Dynamic HTML By Jeff Rule good to learn DHTML from as it shows you practical examples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my cheapy $8 JavaScript Pocket Reference from O'Reilly all the time. It categorizes by object and is pretty handy. It also has info about compatability issues. My version is already a little out of date, though.
    s-p-l-e-e-n-d-i-f-e-r-o-u-s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, a pure reference is too much I think. I know a little DHTML but need more background on DOM and the objects.

Seeing as I only really want to do the spiffy stuff, should I be looking at a DHTML book instead of a Javscript book?

I ask because I'm not entirely sure what DHTML is.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so just give definition of what you are interested and what you wanna be able to do and what skills do you wanna have without giving names like DHTML/Javascript? so you will have a better help here.
    IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, you're right - kinda silly throwing around terms without know what they are.

Found a good explanation of DHTML: http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/...l?tw=authoring

That's more up my alley vs an 800-page Javascript book. Unfortunately the only good DHTML books (according to Amazon reviews) are 2 years old.

Danny Goodman's 2nd ed of DHTML Reference won't be out for several months according to his site. I think I'll try out the Visual Quickstart . I'll cross my fingers and hope it's not too simple.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!