SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there anything faster then mysql?

is there anything faster then mysql and better ? i don't want to modify my php codes in order to change the database... so if I will use anather SQL server, but not mysql will that mysql_functions from php still work?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    faster and better? that depends on a lot on how you measure

for example, is ANTs faster or better? you decide: www.ants.com

no, the mysql functions will not work with any other database
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes and No.

How do you define better? If you mean a database that supports views, stored procedures, triggers, tablespaces then yes there are better databases.

Faster? That depends on your needs. Anyone can slap together a crude MySQL database using MyISAM tables and claim it fast which it is. A lot of that is because of the lack of referential integrity which slows down a database. Replace those MyISAM tables with InnoDB tables with lots of FK references with ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE CASCADE constraints and it will slow down as with any other database that supports referential integrity. That's because everytime you insert, update and delete the database has to check if the rows that contain the FKs need updating/deleting.

A lot depends on your needs. Do you have a massive amount of tables in your database or just a few? If there's a lot you may end up spending more time just converting them to work with your new database especially since MySQL is lax in enforcing standards. Also since you are using raw mysql_ functions in your code that will take a while to convert also. You might want to use a database abstraction layer like Creole next time

Xbox why have you forsaken me? moospot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySql is definitely less expensive than any other rdbms out there. Google and NASA claim to use mySql servers, which I would say speaks volumes. I would say for the cost, you can't beat it.