SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Firefox. I'll never go back to using I.E. It's only purpose on my computer is so I can test my website to ensure cross compatibility.

-Mason

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoavio
    I love Firefox. I'll never go back to using I.E. It's only purpose on my computer is so I can test my website to ensure cross compatibility.

-Mason
    You don't use Windows Update?
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use firefox, I've used it since 0.6 I believe. I love it, I haven't had any real problems with it ever.

I also have opera installed, which I use for sites that don't work in firefox(wish that wasn't the case).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody heard of Links or lynks?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    firefox for network security reasons but i do have problems with some websites displaying data

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pentagram
    anybody heard of Links or lynks?
    Yep, I use it on Linux to fiddle around in an Xterm session. Quite a good browser, when you consider that it's text-only; I find it fascinating that the entire internet used to be text-only.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    Yep, I use it on Linux to fiddle around in an Xterm session. Quite a good browser, when you consider that it's text-only; I find it fascinating that the entire internet used to be text-only.

It still is. Just disable stylesheets, images, and plugins

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.

It is a great browser for testing accessiblity for those with disablities.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be standard on every webmaster's computer.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use firefox. WAY faster then IE, and it actually supports CSS properly (so does Opera and any other non-Ie browser). What's nice about any non-IE browser is that it's actually been updated in the past 5 years. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok I've been running Firefox for a few days now to try it out. I must admit it is taking a little while to get used to as it is quite different from IE in some areas.

Here's a few of my thoughts on it so far:
    • The tabbed browsing is great, saving loads of toolbar space. It is a feature thats been in Opera for some time and Windows XP can now group open windows from the same application into a group to save space. My biggest problem right now is I keep closing all the tabs in one go because I forget it's not a seperate window. I can open a new window for each page if I want so I have the option but I quite like the tabs.
    • The JavaScript Console is a very useful tool. Can Firefox integrate with any 3rd party coding software. IE will integrate with visual Interdev and gives developers a lot of control when it comes to debugging and stepping through both client and server side code.
    • I use the google toolbar, all the time!! Is there a way to integrate this with Firefox, coz it doesnt look like it's possible? I suppose I coul dlive without it, but I liked the way it cached my previous search keywords and also gave the ability to jump to the searched keywrds within the results pages and any pages after the results with one click.
    • Speed - I'm not sure if i've noticed a massive increase in performance, i'm still trying to work that one out. It definately draws the web content to the screen in a different way. I'm still looking into it.
    • Hurray!!!! DOM object references, when alerted you get the type info as well as the fact it's an object. Something IE should of had ages ago, like netscape did :i.e. [object HTMLInputElement]
    • One draw back is I cant use it at work because the large corporate I am currently doing some work for have an IE specific configuration script, so I cant get out the building with FF. Who knows the latest rumblings against IE from Germany may echo across europe to the UK before long.
    I'm still getting around the other stuff and trying to weigh up the pros and cons of using Firefox. Maybe i'll post them here as areference for anyone who's interested or considering using a different browser to IE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't mention any extensions - have you tried Adblock and the Gmail Notifier? If it wasn't for these two I probably would not be using FF.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markchivs

The tabbed browsing is great, saving loads of toolbar space.
    This is only a valid argument on older OSes. Tabs in Firefox use no more space than 50 IE Windows under XP.

I actually find multiple windows in a group easier under XP than tabs. Quick to select with the mouse, don't have to worry about the window titles becoming unreadable and you can switch from application to application easy enough.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    I actually find multiple windows in a group easier under XP than tabs. Quick to select with the mouse, don't have to worry about the window titles becoming unreadable and you can switch from application to application easy enough.
    I think that's a subjective/personal argument with no real "right" answer, much like the tabbed browsing paradigm in general. I hate taskbar grouping and usually disable it when I first install XP, but to each his/her own

web designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im another firefox fan im afraid.

there are countless reasons chief amongst those being:

1. Correct display of websites. You can argue this until you're blue in the face. The simple fact is that when I code a website, I open firefox, and things are where I expected, when I open IE, i usually find that there are several things not quite right. This is increasingly the case with the sites im building, as I move more towards CSS based layouts, IE do sent seem to want to come along for the ride.

2. Add-ons - The beauty of firefox is that it is exactly what you want it to be. I have loads of add-ons installed, all of which offer a unique solution to my own particular browsing nuances. This isn't possible with Internet Explorer, without for example downloading trash like the google bar, I have no easy way of checking pagerank, with FF i have a small display in the bottom corner of my browser which displays this information without causing any screen space loss.

3. Themes - See above, again, it makes the browser fit your specifications, where as with IE you have to adapt to the way it works.

4. Support - Mozilla is an incredible organisation, its turn around time with bugs, security issues and development means that it offers a service which Microsoft cant compete with. Internet explorer still has problems dating back to 1998, and there is no sign of this improving, with firefox, you can be sure that if something is seriously wrong with it, Mozilla will have it sorted as quickly as is humanly possible.

5. The Underdog theory - For years I whimpered when IE wouldn't do what I wanted it to, and the old dog was ready to be dropped as soon as a more virile beast came along, and firefox was it, the first version I really used was 0.6 and from that time internet explorer has been used solely for testing what people not as enlightened will see when ive finished a website.

I have NS, opera, Mozilla too, but there is just nothing that comes close to fitting MY requirements as firefox does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    This is only a valid argument on older OSes. Tabs in Firefox use no more space than 50 IE Windows under XP.
    Yeah I think I said XP grouped windows

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak
    Im another firefox fan im afraid.
    Don't be afraid mate. This thread is for peoples constructive opinions of the pros and cons of their favourite browser.

Thnks for your input.

Off Topic:

P.S. cloak, where are you in Cov? I'm doing some work at Jaguar in Whitley, just around the corner

web designer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Im actually from Nuneaton, just outside coventry, but in liverpool studying for my degree!!

get what you can from Jaguar, wont be there much longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cloak
    Off Topic:

Im actually from Nuneaton, just outside coventry, but in liverpool studying for my degree!!

get what you can from Jaguar, wont be there much longer.
    Off Topic:

Lol - nah this site is ok it's the engineering and design centre where they design the cars, not one of the manufacturing plants.

Just in case though: You guys with money on here living outside the UK have gotta start buying Jaguar cars, else my contract will end in March and I'll have to sell to more of my own clients

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i've just been looking at the extensions for firefox and installed a few. Wow!!! What a uniquely customizable browser Firefox is. It's definately growing on me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Konqueror for Linux.
    It seems clean and fast.
    But it can have its annoyances.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why doesnt anyone mention Opera. bigtime opera freak here, but at work trying to seduce seniors with FF as its freeware unlike Opera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Opera is my favourite browser under Windows
    Opera under Linux sadly sucks.