SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    I'm one of the last IE holdouts here at SitePoint. I've done this for a number of reasons. The following are the ones that sprang to mind, and are listed in no particular order:
    1. .NET compatibility....
    2. Site compatibility....
    3. Support of non-IE browsers....
    4. Comfort....
    Thanks Cory M there's some good points there. I too use MSDN nearly every day, so it would be an issue for me to use a browser that didn't display the info on there properly. In fact it would probably make my job harder.

Can you guys, that use firefox tell me if you generally get display problems or irregularities when viewing websites with firefox?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markchivs
    nothin you dont need???

Come on. Is firefox 'the' best browser with no down sides at all???
    Sorry I'll be more specific

I start up my computer and click my Firefox icon and off I go, it loads my homepage and I'm ready to catch up on the day's news. My homepage only changes when I specifically do it myself - no more random homepages.

As I'm browsing news my Gmail notifier will pop up and let me know how many emails I currently have waiting for me. I hit the mail icon and I'm transferred right to Gmail. Once my emails are in order i continue checking news.

While venturing into the internet it's very nice to know that I can block every ad that annoys me and most popups can't touch me. I open all the pages I like and my tabs grow in size, rather than the number of programs. My taskbar graciouslly thanks Firefox for this convenience

I realize Firefox isn't the only browser with tabbed browsing or the ability to block ads/popups, however it makes my browsing more enjoyable and works very well. It definitely "does it" for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you guys, that use firefox tell me if you generally get display problems or irregularities when viewing websites with firefox?
    Yes, but it's getting better as more designers/coders are following the web standards movement. I've noticed mostly small quirks here and there, but not anything that would prevent me from accessing & reading a website.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Cory M there's some good points there. I too use MSDN nearly every day, so it would be an issue for me to use a browser that didn't display the info on there properly. In fact it would probably make my job harder.

I'm currently surfing MSDN using Firefox looking to resolve a MS-SQL issue I have and am having no problems at all. I've also never expierenced a problem doing what I want on Microsoft's TechNet. In general Microsoft does a reasonable job of making their documentation browser neutral. I don't know about things like Passport as I'd never sign up for a Passport account even if it did support Firefox.

A lot (not all) of the website compatiblity issues people alude to with non-MSIE browsers is FUD. Really the only show stoppers are if the site requires the use of Active-X or tries to make use of VBScript. Other than that most problems are causmetic or are caused by bad useragent sniffers, which can be fooled with the useragent switcher.

I know there are some issues with sites like slate.msn.com, due to bad menuing, but I've found work arounds. Usually if a site really breaks it is due to some flaky dynamic menu implementation. In reality, personally I have only come across a handful of sites that would not work in anything but MSIE and most of the time this was caused by the use of ActiveX controls (which I wouldn't accept anyways).
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB
    1) No Active-X support and no VBScript support which is part of the reason it is more secure than MSIE.
    Interesting. This is the one thing I hate about Firefox. It should allow the end-user to leverage all benefits of their OS.

I use Firefox for dreary work tasks most of the time. I use Internet Explorer (or rather MSN Explorer) when I want to have fun and experience an immersive and interactive Internet.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Luke
    Interesting. This is the one thing I hate about Firefox. It should allow the end-user to leverage all benefits of their OS.

I use Firefox for dreary work tasks most of the time. I use Internet Explorer (or rather MSN Explorer) when I want to have fun and experience an immersive and interactive Internet.
    Almost all browser and a large portion of email born spyware takes advantage of ActiveX. Without ActiveX spyware has a much harder time getting a foothold, it is that simple. I have no problem finding rich immersive content as most of this is Flash or Java. About the only time I've ever come across a non-malice use of ActiveX was related to corporate CRM type "web" applications.

Ask any seasoned security expert, and they will agree that ActiveX is the single most dangerous technology on the web. Most security organizations the CERT (U.S. Computing Emergency Response Team), which is part of the Department of Homland Security recommend disabling ActiveX. Personally my feeling is that if Microsoft removed ActiveX and VBScript support from MSIE, they will have addressed 90%+ of my security concerns regarding their browser.
    InternetSAR.org

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If FF keeps it popularity growth steady, IE only sites (e.g. sites that use vbscript or activeX) will have to seriously reconsider their ways. Locking out 3 or 4% of your visitors is one thing (and a bad thing at that) but 10%? 15%? 20% That's just bad business sense.

FYI, at last tally by WebSideStory IE's market share was only 92.9% and shrinking at a steady pace. Should be interesting to see what their stats say after FF1.0's release.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all browser and a large portion of email born spyware takes advantage of ActiveX.
    This may be so but I have never had Spyware installed on my PC, ever. And I have been using Internet Explorer since 1997 on a regular basis. Even run SpyBot, Adaware, Hijack This and other similar programs quite often looking for the glut of software installed without my knowledge and it never comes up with anywhere. I am not denying that it exists but I think most of it is in people heads fueled by media hysteria aimed to keep people under control. Even CERT falls into this category because it was created by a government whose goals are to keep the population under control via fear (daily terror alert levels) and intimidation (patriot act).

I think it is more of a security settings issue combined with the type of sites that people visit and the software they use outside of IE like P2P clients similar to Kazaa. These lead to multiple avenues of infection. Combine this with inadequate email virus protection and they have a problem.

By the way, why should Microsft remove something when they clearly give you the controls to turn it off easily.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KLB, I responded to your design question with post 25 in this thread. I figured I would tell you since it seems that you might have missed it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion
    KLB, I responded to your design question with post 25 in this thread. I figured I would tell you since it seems that you might have missed it
    Thanks, yes I missed it in the sudden flood of posts. It works like a charm.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    I think it is more of a security settings issue combined with the type of sites that people visit and the software they use outside of IE like P2P clients similar to Kazaa. These lead to multiple avenues of infection. Combine this with inadequate email virus protection and they have a problem.

By the way, why should Microsft remove something when they clearly give you the controls to turn it off easily.
    The problem is, ActiveX controls have the ability to override your security settings once they get a foothold. I personally had a corporate CRM type ActiveX control add a new security zone and then set its security settings to low. It blew my mind. I couldn't believe that a "legit" B2B business type application would have the audacity to pull such a stunt. I was even more stunned that MSIE allowed it.

BTW, the German government also adviced that MSIE should not be used on any German government computer. So unlike the U.S. government the German goverenment not only talked the talk, but walked the walk.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer firefox over the other browsers because of the speed.
    Keston.E: The greatest things in life are the things we love.
    "When the Pawn Hits the Conflicts He Thinks Like a King."
    Cheers to new beginnings | Keep ya head up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why with firefox i click on open i new window or open in new tab, about 80% of the time that page won't load first time, it always takes two times???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick0161
    why with firefox i click on open i new window or open in new tab, about 80% of the time that page won't load first time, it always takes two times???
    Not sure.. Only problem I have with Firefox is it wants to download all multimedia such as AVI or MOV files and play them outside the website which ruins the entertainment factor of the Internet.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox will certainly challenge IE ... all thats need is for the masses (non techies) to find out about it. I have converted everyone i know to Firefox.

What we need here is for google to do the Picasa ... put a firefox download link on their homepage
    Free File Hosting
    Free File Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If were all a little more militant we would code only for standards and ignore the hacks and so forth to ensure that only properly compliant browsers would display correctly and therefore persuade browser developers to consistently apply standards.

But we're not, we do as we're told and work damn hard to make up for others frivolous implmentations...

Bring on the neural net, jack me in and switch off the lights
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They just drag you down to their level...
    and beat you with experience.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox and Opera do it for me. I'd imagine Safari too if I had a Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Firefox

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...BTW, the German government also adviced that MSIE should not be used on any German government computer. So unlike the U.S. government the German goverenment not only talked the talk, but walked the walk.
    Cool info KLB, have you got a reference to back this up? I'd be interested to read more on it. Germany was in the top 3 highest internet users in Europe when I last looked. Your statement has a massive implication for anyone developing sites or online marketing targetting german business.

I bet your gonna tell me they recommended Firefox instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick0161
    Quote Originally Posted by Hierophant
    OMG!! Firefox is related to IE after all. Anyone else seen these issues occur?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool info KLB, have you got a reference to back this up? I'd be interested to read more on it. Germany was in the top 3 highest internet users in Europe when I last looked. Your statement has a massive implication for anyone developing sites or online marketing targetting german business.

I bet your gonna tell me they recommended Firefox instead
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...an_ie_jitters/
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9638
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link man:

I laughed when I read this part in that first article
    [quote]Microsoft Germany denies that Internet Explorer is less safe than other browsers and says that it offers patches as soon as an exploit is discovered.[quote]

Typical example of a reactive company instead of a forward thinking proactive company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link man:

I laughed when I read this part in that first article
    Microsoft Germany denies that Internet Explorer is less safe than other browsers and says that it offers patches as soon as an exploit is discovered.
    Typical example of a reactive company instead of a forward thinking proactive company.
    What I would be interested in seeing is an English translations of the German article that both of these articles are refering to.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I would be interested in seeing is an English translations of the German article that both of these articles are refering to.
    There's gotta be someone German on here who could track down the report/article from the German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) http://www.bsi.bund.de or The Federation of German Consumer Organisations (Vzbv) http://www.vzbv.de/go/.

Any takers ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer IE when running in a windows enviorment simply becuase of how it's integrated into the shell (I.E .NET Activex, WMP, etc) while firefox is great I just don't think they'll get a huge foothold on IE without taking steps to integrate deeply into the windows shell, Filebrowser, etc ( which is impossible, thank microsoft for that one). If firefox could replace all of IE then I would be sold.