User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow What browser does it for you?

Hi all

I've pretty much only used IE with brief spots of Netscape and Opera, but I'd really like to get a list of browsers together, with their good and bad points and then maybe hold a pole to gauge popularity.

So tell me, which browser does it for you? Why does it do it? What is better about it than the competition?

ta

Pole to follow

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Firefox. It works the way I want it to, and it has way better development tools than IE. Try debugging Javascript in IE vs Mozilla and you'll see what I mean.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy JRMillion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Firefox installed, and I use it for testing sites... but I end up using IE most of the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Safari Seems to handle a lot more open tabs than Firefox without crashing for me.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I use mainly IE6 but also use Firefox for 'other' browsing (if you get what I mean). The only reason I use IE is that it was the first browser I used and it's what I got familiar with. I do like the FF tabbed windows idea and also the speed difference.

Here is a little chart of my thoughts......

IE6 - good, but more holes than swiss cheese
    Firefox 1 - good, I should use it more
    Netscape - WHY OH WHY!
    Opera - used only briefly but seemed OK

SpikeZ
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give me Firefox every time.

I do also like Explorer for a few reasons:
    It's the most widely used browser by a very long way
    It's got features that other browsers would do well to implement
    It has years of my bookmarks and cookies and passwords that I would be hardpressed to remember.
    I actually think that, in some ways, its interpretation on CSS is more intuitive.

Netscape just winds me up in a similar way to yahoo messenger

Opera, in a crowded market it just isn't good enough.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    They just drag you down to their level...
    and beat you with experience.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me like Firefox!
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I often use IE and Mozilla but you can always have the others: Opera, Firefox, Cello, Netscape and more

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Mozilla. It has a few features that are lacking in Firefox, and I do like the built-in email client. Mozilla and Firefox have very good support for modern web standards, nice UI features and a good tool for organising bookmarks (IMHO). The DOM Inspector and the JavaScript debugger in Mozilla are very useful sometimes.

I like Opera as well, but there are a few quirks that put it one rung lower than Mozilla on my ladder. It's very useful for testing various aspects of accessibility, though. With just one or two mouse clicks you can disable images, JavaScript, style sheets and whatnot. The small screen mode is nice as well. Print preview is one keypress away.

I only use IE for checking that my pages work in it (5.01, 5.5, 6). And that's just because it's so common out there. Few features, lots of bugs, and some major security holes are the foremost reasons why I stay away from it.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnewt
    Me like Firefox!
    FireFox good! IE bad! *Grunt.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    FireFox good! IE bad! *Grunt.
    Ditto.

Uh fire, fire, fire uh Firefox. he he...
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo
    I prefer Mozilla. It has a few features that are lacking in Firefox, and I do like the built-in email client. Mozilla and Firefox have very good support for modern web standards, nice UI features and a good tool for organising bookmarks (IMHO). The DOM Inspector and the JavaScript debugger in Mozilla are very useful sometimes.

I like Opera as well, but there are a few quirks that put it one rung lower than Mozilla on my ladder. It's very useful for testing various aspects of accessibility, though. With just one or two mouse clicks you can disable images, JavaScript, style sheets and whatnot. The small screen mode is nice as well. Print preview is one keypress away.

I only use IE for checking that my pages work in it (5.01, 5.5, 6). And that's just because it's so common out there. Few features, lots of bugs, and some major security holes are the foremost reasons why I stay away from it.
    Thanks AutisticCuckoo - now thats useful information. Take note people

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox 1.0 is the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markchivs
    Thanks AutisticCuckoo - now thats useful information. Take note people
    Okay, scolding dully noted.

I prefer Firefox for the following reasons:

1) No Active-X support and no VBScript support which is part of the reason it is more secure than MSIE.

2) Standards based. By designing sites for using Firefox, it takes less work to make those sites work correctly under all browsers including MSIE.

3) Extensions like "Web Developer" and the built in DOM inspector that are great tools when developing websites.

3) Tabbed browsing.

4) Small and fast without the things I don't need (e.g. email client and news reader).

5) Security flaws are rapidly addressed (sometimes within hours)

6) I feel like I'm in control of my destiny with Firefox and don't live in terror of inadvertently aquiring spyware.

7) Its Free. With MSIE, you can only get the latest updates by buying the latest Windows operating system and with Opera to use it free you have to put up with ads in the toolbar.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer Firefox for the tabbed browing and adblock features - it has everything I want and nothing I don't need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, scolding dully noted.
    he he I was just messin

Thanks very much for your informative and excellent post KLB !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riffic
    I prefer Firefox for the tabbed browing and adblock features - it has everything I want and nothing I don't need.
    nothin you dont need???

Come on. Is firefox 'the' best browser with no down sides at all???

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    8) Extensions. I can customize my browser to do what I want it to do how I like it done. Heck, If I wasn't so lazy I could even write my own.

9) Themes. They're not just for little girls! I love them. Qute for me anytime.

10) Community. The FireFox/Mozilla community is wonderful. Anyone who follows the nightly builds gets to experince it first hand. There's a guy who makes a post every day detailing the nightly updates to the software and helps to do bug tracking for new bugs and regressions. And Mozilla gave him a thank you in the official FF credits. That's just too cool.

11) Excitement. Just watching this puppy take off has been a lot of fun. I love watching the underdog do well. And this one is doing so well it might not stay the underdog for long.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i code things only for FF....strictly css3
    my works cant be viewed in IE

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like Opera the best.

1. The ability to customize Opera how I like it is one of my favorite features. I have full control over the menus, toolbars, buttons, skins, etc. and I can customize them with human-readable commands. The only problem with the way you can customize Opera is that you are limited to the controls they give you and cannot create truly unique modifications. Firefox/Mozilla's customization engine is a lot more powerful but is a lot harder to use (especially for the simple modifications) because you need to use a programming language like C++, which is a daunting task.

2. Opera has extremely good caching abilities, the speed of Opera blows every other browser out of the water. Browse a single website for a few pages and then hit back, back, back, and you'll easily notice the speed difference between Opera and it's competitors. Opera will pull the previous pages/files directly from memory instead of reading it from the hard-drive which is heck of a lot faster (you can change the amount of memory and hard-drive space it uses for caching).

3. Opera gives more control over pages than other browsers. Unlike other tabbed browsers, you can actually minimize, maximize, and resize the pages you're viewing while still using the tabbed interface. Opera also gives you the capability of reopening a page that you closed by simply opening your "window trash can" and clicking on the one you want to open (remember the caching, the page will appear instantly) and if you do not want to keep those pages in memory for opening later then you can empty the "window trash can". Also, if you feel like viewing one of the pages in it's own window then you can press and hold the left mouse button on the tab and drag it right off the interface and Opera will automatically create it's own window for the page.

4. The Notes panel, nothing compares. Opera's notes panel allows you to create an organized set of notes of data that you've copied from websites. Not only that, but you do not need to remember where you copied the notes because the notes themselves act as bookmarks to the works cited so you only need to double-click on a note to open the cited work. This feature is incredibly helpful to me as a student and a web developer.

5. Transfers panel. The transfers panel is the best downloader I've seen in a browser because it breaks away from the single-dialog-downloads that other browsers use. Internet Explorer uses the single-dialog method for downloads and you end up with 20 open windows trying to download a bunch of small files. Firefox does something similar to Internet Explorer except that it contains them all inside of one extra window. Opera shows a list-box with all of the downloads listed and the transfers panel can be used on the side of the interface while you're browsing, you can maximize the panel so that it becomes it's own page in the tab-bar and will easily stay in the background while telling you on the tab how much time is left, and you can totally hide the transfers panel and when something is finished a small tooltip will slide up at the bottom of the screen telling you which download has finished. The only problem with Opera's transfer panel is that you cannot open it in the background (so you don't disturb your browsing), this used to be possible but they removed the functionality for some strange reason.

6. *repeats everything that KLB said except for #4* - Opera is smaller than Firefox and still includes email, rss, irc, etc.

ummm yeah, i don't have all day to talk about Opera, so I'll leave it at that. Opera is definately my favorite browser.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of the last IE holdouts here at SitePoint. I've done this for a number of reasons. The following are the ones that sprang to mind, and are listed in no particular order:
    1. .NET compatibility. I develop with .NET, and the default installation of .NET does not support non-IE browsers in a lot of the client-side scripting. This is not Microsoft's fault per se, as the configuration file (and the accompanying JS file) can be modifed to support all modern browsers. However, I use shared hosting, and the former is not accessible to me; I haven't yet had time to get my hands dirty with the latter.
    2. Site compatibility. A lot of the sites I visit (including MSDN) function as I need them to only in IE. This alone seals Firefox's fate on my computer.
    3. Support of non-IE browsers. I code my sites in XHTML and CSS, and valid code at that, but I'm leery of coding and testing in Firefox because of the risk of introducing and not spotting IE bugs. It's a fact that IE still has about 90% of the market share.
    4. Comfort. My browsing habits are very well adjusted to IE. True, I can change them, but I, like the average user, hate change.
    That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll add more as it crosses my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory M.
    1. Support of non-IE browsers. I code my sites in XHTML and CSS, and valid code at that, but I'm leery of coding and testing in Firefox because of the risk of introducing and not spotting IE bugs. It's a fact that IE still has about 90% of the market share.

I think you would be suprised. If you code first for Firefox and validate your code like you say, you'll be able to quickly resolve any MSIE issues when you test for it. Indeed, using web developer and Firefox's built in DOM inspector you can very quickly uncover and correct coding errors.

In my worst case senerios, I've only had to add a handful of IE specific CSS instructions to resolve IE issues using valid code. I usually find more problems resolving issues between IE 5.5 and IE 6 than I do resolving IE issues after having developed a site using Firefox.

Regardless, if you are using code that validates to W3C specifications even if you only test on MSIE, as you indicate, you'll find few to no issues with Firefox (unless you rely on Active-X).
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OFF TOPIC:

megamanXplosion, I have an Opera question for you. I have one layout issue in my sites in regards to Opera that I have never been able to resolve.

Say I want to center my page in the browser window, what method works with Opera? Normally I use something like: <DIV align="Center"><div style="width:600px">bla bla bla</div></div>

This works in all browsers except for Opera. I've even tried defining <DIV align="center" style="Width:100%"> to no avail. Using text-align:center only works for text and does not impact objects like images so this is not an option. I'd love to eliminate align="center" as it is not CSS, however, I haven't figured out an alternative.
    InternetSAR.org

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <div style='width: 600px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto'>Whatever</div>

That will center the element in the space that it's given. Because the left and right margins are set to auto, that tells the browser to distribute the free space to each side of the element. Assuming that there's 1000px of free space in the viewport, the browser will look at it like this...

(1000 - 600) / 2 = 200. You will end up with 600px used for the element and the remaining 400 is divided amongst the left and right margins, so you'll end up with 200px on each side of the element.

Hope this helps