SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie ecommerce question

I'm starting a company that will take customer's orders for home inspections. They choose an inspector based on zip code. They pay me and I pay the inspectors. What's the best way to process the payment and give the customer a receipt that they can show the inspector?

A lot of the ecommerce software is product-driven whereas I just facilitate services. Any ideas? I don't have any HTML or programming knowledge by the way.

Thanks,
    Keith

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend starting off with a third party processor like 2checkout. But, you've got to build the site first. If you can't code the site, you'll probably need to hire someone.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the quick reply! There's lots of over-the-counter Website building software. Which one would you recommend? My fear is that I'll purchase on such as Frontpage and not have any ecommerce built into it. Also, what are your thoughts on Site Build It? Thanks for all your help....it's greatly appreciated!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If all you are doing is facilitating a service you don't need a standard shopping cart for your website. Have a developer create a custom system for processing your orders. As far as the receipt goes either have the website auto-generate one for you upon a successful payment. Or have your computer generate one. Either way it is not going to be spit out like you would see from a credit card terminal so however you choose to do it is fine really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your serious about this project, do get it custom coded. It doesn't sound like the type of thing that would lend itself to an off-the-shelf product. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
    Peter T Davis

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I think I will have it custom-coded. What should I generally expect to pay?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno exactly, maybe a couple hundred. I've had some success posting similar jobs on rentacoder.com but you could also try the looking to hire section here on sitepoint.
    Peter T Davis

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petertdavis
    Dunno exactly, maybe a couple hundred. I've had some success posting similar jobs on rentacoder.com but you could also try the looking to hire section here on sitepoint.
    Would you recommend rentacoder.com as the place to go to offer work?
    I'm looking for a web developer - mainly aesthetic stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would want to probably have them also (the inspectors) be able to sign in & maybe verify the receipt to help prevent people rom creating a fake receipt. And / or I would also email the inspector also an email when payment is made

First write out a scope. Depending on everything that you you need / want, you will find developers will give you different prices. Of course - you can start out small & then keep adding extra features down the road as well