SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: H2 or <th>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H2 or <th>

Hi Guys just geeting to CSS in a bit more depth thanks to many of you here. I have a question and that is as I understand it Google gives prominence to H tags h1 h2 h3 etc. Now I mark my header cells as <th> in the conventional way.

Does Google treat the <th> tag the same way it treats H tags.

Cheers Kili

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an SEO expert, but I wouldn't think so.

<h2> indicates a level-2 heading in the document structure.
    <th> indicates a header cell in a (data) table.

I would expect a search engine to pay more attention to a heading than a table cell.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it's a table of information then use the <th>, since that's what it is there for. If it's the title of some content that happens to be laid out in a table for some reason, then use <hx>.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should design with your users in mind and not for the search engines. Designing for the search engines results in a lesser experience for your visitors and usually doesn't end up helping you in the SERPs. It's no coincidence that sites designed with usability, and accessibility, in mind tend to rank the highest in the SERPs and have long term success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    You should design with your users in mind and not for the search engines. Designing for the search engines results in a lesser experience for your visitors and usually doesn't end up helping you in the SERPs. It's no coincidence that sites designed with usability, and accessibility, in mind tend to rank the highest in the SERPs and have long term success.
    I do design for my users. But I'm not going to ignore using known advantages such as H1,2 ,3 etc which are part of html and used by SE, not to do so would be putting myself at a disadvantage.

Kili

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kili
    I do design for my users. But I'm not going to ignore using known advantages such as H1,2 ,3 etc which are part of html and used by SE, not to do so would be putting myself at a disadvantage.

Kili
    But using it incorrectly does not give you an advantage. Just by having a header tag in your code doesn't mean it automatically gives you a boost. If it is used in an obviously incorrect manner it might even hurt your rankings. Header tag abuse is well known by the search engines so I would use them only where appropriate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a table of information then use the <th>, since that's what it is there for. If it's the title of some content that happens to be laid out in a table for some reason, then use <hx>.
    Seems like I always have a dissenting opinion against Vinne and that is certaintly not the case If you have tabular data, you can use th but you can very well have a heading two, three, four inside a table cell if you want.

stymee has an excellent point as well regarding this. I tend to think if is something important like a page title, then it needs to be in a heading. Don't over abuse this and don't make it so difficult. Remember practicality has to win out in some circumstances.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbutler
    Seems like I always have a dissenting opinion against Vinne and that is certaintly not the case If you have tabular data, you can use th but you can very well have a heading two, three, four inside a table cell if you want.
    True, if the situation calls for it. However, in something like this, which is a classic example of a data table:
    HTML Code:
    <table summary="Financial figures per quarter in 2003">
    <caption>Financial Figures for 2003</caption>
    <thead>
    <tr>
      <th>Q1</th><th>Q2</th><th>Q3</th><th>Q4</th>
    </tr>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
    <tr>
      <td>$400,323</td><td>416,342</td><td>423,654</td><td>435,609</td>
    </tr>
    </tbody>
    </table>
    I wouldn't see a need for headings anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee
    But using it incorrectly does not give you an advantage. Just by having a header tag in your code doesn't mean it automatically gives you a boost. If it is used in an obviously incorrect manner it might even hurt your rankings. Header tag abuse is well known by the search engines so I would use them only where appropriate.
    Dear oh dear. I dont intend on using it incorrectly. The question I asked was

"Does Google treat the <th> tag the same way it treats H tags."

I donít put tags in unnecessarily I use a header cell <th> as the title of an article. I wanted to know if <th> was treated by SE in a similar way to h tags. I could of course just use h tags but I donít want to edit the code which is table based.

I would like to do it all in CSS but I am not proficient enough to manage that yet.

Thank you all for your input
    Kili

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I donít put tags in unnecessarily I use a header cell <th> as the title of an article. I wanted to know if <th> was treated by SE in a similar way to h tags. I could of course just use h tags but I donít want to edit the code which is table based.
    If it's the title of an article, then use <h1> or <h2> or whatever. Just do something like this:
    HTML Code:
    <h2>Article Title</h2>
    <h3>Some article subtitle</h3>
    <p>Article text.</p>
    <p>More article text.</p>

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would assume that TH tags have more weight then normal. After all it is a header so the content in the header must signify, to some greater degree then regular text, the meaning and relevance of the content of that page.

Is that good?