User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Impressions
    The site was quick to load over a 1.5MB connection. On my 21" monitor, the empty space was somewhat expansive and I think this could be addressed by better placement of the central images. The overall style, while not to my personal taste, worked well when looked at a whole.

Colour Use
    While the base colour is nice and calm, and indeed easy on the eye, I felt it lacked a little in energy, mainly due to the expansive space and lack of colour in the main content areas.

Image Use
    The main nav image(s) on the left are really very nice, though I think the one chosen for the home page could be a little more impressive, especially when compared to the other inner pages, which are exceptional.

The biggest omission on this site, in my view, is the waste of the images used in the Portfolio section. It seems to me that you have a ready made resource there which could fill your own site with eye-catching examples and much needed splashes of colour and yet, they are stuck on only one page, and even then, shown only one at a time.

I would personally heavily rethink this strategy and make good use of the resource available to you.

Navigation
    Clean and simple, as it should be. No magic tricks, no click sounds and no Flash. Just simple "get there quickly" links.

The one thing that stuck out however, was the lack of a "Home" link in the main nav area.

Page Copy
    The home page certainly needs more copy, of that there is no doubt.

By chance, I happened to read the Zoom Web Hosting home page earlier.

My point being that in my mind at least, it is an almost perfect example of good copy. Almost every potential question is answered, important benefits highlighted, and it really speaks about what it is trying to sell me. -- So much so that I've already decided to switch to them in due course, mission accomplished, all from reading their home page.

That is how good copy should be. Your home page, from which most visitors will decide whether to read on or walk away doesn't sell your services to me.

Allow me to use your home page as an example:

A professional website design will promote your business and attract clients.

InternetImage.ca Web Design and Development specializes in functional websites that are also nice to look at.
    Businesses today require specific functions from a website, find out how we helped others - view our Portfolio. Reasonable prices and fast, friendly service make us a good choice for your company.
    "A professional website design will promote your business and attract clients."
    We can safely assume that the customer already knows this much, as he or she isn't likely to want a website because they believe it will demote their business and turn clients away. So assuming that is established before the visitor even gets there, something a little more benefit-serving would be better placed.

"InternetImage.ca Web Design and Development specializes in functional websites that are also nice to look at."
    Again, all very nice but you're not addressing me, you're talking about you.

Businesses today require specific functions from a website, find out how we helped others - view our Portfolio. Reasonable prices and fast, friendly service make us a good choice for your company.
    Ah, finally I get a mention, right at the end. I'm not trying to be mean here so much as point out some glaring faults. If you want me to come to you, then you need to at least speak to me in your copy.

You might want to consider copy which adds benefits as well as addressing the visitor directly.

The only practical advice I can give here is to put yourself in the place of the person looking for web design. What are you going to want to know, and be honest.

Price?
    Payment Terms?
    Time Taken?
    Areas Served?
    Do We Meet?
    Overseas Clients Catered For?
    Do You Also Host Sites?

There's a whole raft of them.

As a starter:
    ----------------------------------------------
    Consider: Join over two-dozen satisfied customers; promote your business, serve your customers and increase your business revenue with a professionally designed website.

Whether it's your first website, or you're looking to have your ageing website updated with new features and technology, we provide the following:

• X Years Experience in Design (Link to Portfolio)
    • ASP Catered For (Link to Explanation)
    • PHP Catered For (Link to Explanation)
    • Javascript Catered For
    • Macromedia Flash Technology (Link to Explanation)
    • Prices Starting From Only {Price}.
    • E-Commerce Functionality
    To get a feel for the type of designs we produce, first visit our expansive online portfolio (Link) then call us on {number} for more details or to discuss your requirements in greater detail.
    ---------------------------------------------

One thing I will say is that I counted the number of sites in your portfolio (over two dozen) which in the web design business (often filled with juniors at home) that is an impressive number, and yet it's not even mentioned on the home page. More wasted opportunity!

Over Two Dozen Web Designs & Still Rising! Shout it out, let them know.

Summary

Strengths
    Clean Navigation
    A Healthy Portfolio
    Well Combined Colour Scheme

Weaknesses
    Looks a little empty in places.
    Poor and lifeless copywriting.
    Wasted Opportunity with Portfolio Images.

Rating
    7/10 -- With some careful thought to the selling side of the copy and the portfilio, this could be an excellent site.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only suggestion is to remove the ".ca" from the name on the left. The name of your business probably isn't "Internet Image .ca", but "Internet Image". Only true dot coms need to have the actual .com (or .ca in your case) in their name. Sony's website doesn't have "Sony.com" in the logo, but just "Sony".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks SniperX for the extensive review. I appreciate you taking the time, your comments are exactly what I'm looking for. I'll take some time to implement changes and come back for more.

Thanks everyone else as well, I think the more comments (even short ones) the better, to get a sense of what different people think. There are some definite themes emerging for what changes need to be made.

(I know it's different but I use Internetimage.ca as my business name, then it's obvious where to go to see my website.)
    Web Design Company, Misson BC Canada
    http://www.internetimage.ca