User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

web design company new css website

Hi there, first I'd like to say thanks, I've been searching Sitepoint for several years now and find it an invaluable resource.

I have a website design company, I mostly work alone but sometimes team up with one or two others on projects. I find my own website the hardest to design, I've come up with a new layout and would like your comments. My main focus is to appear professional from the view of a potential customer. My work has generally been for small to medium sized businesses with fairly small budgets, I would like to attract larger clients and do more work with a team.

(By the way, the web hosting is offered by an arrangement with another company nearby, I don't own the server.)

Thanks, Marie

www.internetimage.ca
    Web Design Company, Misson BC Canada
    http://www.internetimage.ca

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS
    I thought I had this working in Netscape 4 (I like a challenge) but now it seems there's a problem, any suggestions? Also if Mac users could check it out I'd appreciate that

Marie

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey nice site, simple yet effect. nice use of colours.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

i am on win xp/firefox and i like your site. i was happy to see that your html validates.

a couple of constructive comments:

1) your portfolio link is broken on the main page (see "view our Portfolio").
    2) this one is very important: you have quite a few clients which i think is your biggest asset. and yet to look through the list of your clients you need to dig deeper in your site and then follow the "Next" link to iterate through clients. why not make it stand out more? (e.g. more thumbnails on the front page, listing a number of existing clients, turning "Informational Websites : Shopping Carts : Content Management :" into links, etc, etc.)

hope this helps,
    james

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Marie,

Really nice web site, I must say. Great to see the web is full of Canadians

I have to agree with madeonmoon, you really should put your featured client list up front so everybody can see it. It will give you more exposure and increase your chances of grabbing clients by a ton.

Also, to help save your mailbox from SPAM, I'd really urge you to encode your email address on the contact page so the spambots can't easily pick it up.... Or create a form.

SitePoint Evangelist adesignrsa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the link is giving me

Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)
    Ross Allchorn
    Web Consultant
    www.allchorn.com
    Twitter - @allchornr

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad timing, the server went down (has rarely happened in the last 2 1/2 years). Please try again.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, a lot of visitors hit my homepage and don't come in, so I will add those things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the left side image and navigation. Your images are crisp and it is nice having a different image on each page. The only thing on the left side I would change is the client login. Pull it off the left edge some, maybe tie it together with some sort of border around it.

The right side of the pages (content area) needs something else. It looks a little too plain for me. I think the left side is so great that with a little more design in the content area the site would really come together better. I also agree with the post above about the portfolio section. Show off your work. I co-own a web design firm as well and the #1 selling point of our services is our previous work. People love to see what kind of work you can do. Show it off on the main page as well as an organized portfolio that is quickly viewable. I also don't like listing the prices of the services on the site, but that is a personal preferance. Has that had any noticeable effect on your business?

Regards.
    Michael Moorefield
    V.P. Web Services
    ThirdWeb Solutions

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some of the same thoughts about the content area.

I'm not sure whether listing the prices have had an effect on my business, maybe I should try taking them off and that may cause more people to contact me, is that what you're thinking? I think that the prices are very reasonable and thought advertising them would be a good thing but maybe not?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First is the Picture of nature, you are doing web design, i think the Picture was not really match your site content, or maybe i can say that was some kind of creative work....
    For me i will not using nature to match for web design website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hi Marie

It is a really nice looking site, with a nice use of imagery and colours. I tried using a Firefox browser and it seemed to work fine in that. The only thing i could sudgest is by putting in a site map, and some more links within the site, as this may help with PR.

Many thanks Craig

Setting up a connection... mgyth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site look great. amybe some css animation on the buttons...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Very colorful artistic design. This has it's good and bad.

2. t first glance i though i was looking at a photography site. The images that load in left of each page don't relate to your theme of web design. They seem to say "these are photos i took, this is a photography site".

3. I understand your site name, but with the large photos, the site name is reinterpreted by the visitor to mean internet photography. A better site name would be "internetdesign.ca"

4. the site name is quite low on the left. This is a highly unusual place to place a logo and can throw a user into minor confusion. I recommend moving it to the toop left.

5. "work" as a navigation button can have two meanings: employment and portfolio. I suggest using portfolio. (it seems you've decided to use this word in your bottom navigation.

6. on your work/portfolio main page, i suggest having a persistent list of navigation with your full list of portfolio pieces. Also add a "previous" button along side next.

good site. just some minor issues.

Web Design Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks very nice and would give the customer a very calm feeling. The only thing I could find that turned me off just a little to the site was the graphic (rocks, waterfall, links) on the left...I could tell exactly where that image started and ended, the grey didn't match up with the rest of the page or something, which is no big deal really, and easily changed. Other than that everything looks good.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site looks nice in Firefox. Being a canadian I know the seasons will resonate with your clients. Its a nice relaxed website. good work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks very well indeed. For me with 56k dailup it loaded pretty fast which is always a good thing. I agree with what was said by other members.

Rather use Portfolio instead of "work"
    A back button in the portfolio is a must. Users need to navigate back and forth easily.
    Perhaps put thumbnails of all your desings on the main portfolio page. That way people can more easily access I site which design they like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with everybodys comments.

The thing that throws me off is the lack of alignment, and not enough focus on your own branding.

The site does have a pleasant feel to it though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I always find my own website the hardest to design because the product is of course websites, I struggle with what type of graphics would complement that, trying to stay away from shots of computers.

Shanman recognized the seasons theme, my idea is to change the homepage with the seasons, these photos are all from BC Canada.

I will change 'work' to 'portfolio' and either add the back button, or change to thumbnails (I used to have thumbnails and I kind of like them in other people's portfolios).

What do others think about moving the name to the more traditional top, left?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice design, i would still give some attention to your text (headers, fonts, font-weight)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent design, really nice I like it a lot. On my (rubbish!) computer however there is a slight difference between the background colour and the background of the image which you might want to look at, perhaps you need a more web-safe colour

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love the image down the left hand side with the navigation links coming off it, FANTASTIC.

What you might want to do is add a hover colour change to the navigtion links though, some of your old fashioned users may be hunting around the page looking for underlined links and colour changing text; as stupid as it may seem some people are like that.

If your pricing wasn't so expensive I'd get you to do my site for me

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it, the image on the left is nice and sharp, no pixelation, a good move.

The text on the right is a little "hey read me to find out what im saying" - could do with some emphasis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well personally I'm not too fond of dull colors, in my opinion you should move on to some professional modern concepts such as... interactive backgrounds, different patters, or other, but simple plain color seems boring at first look. Nevertheless the site is unique ad nice.

One of the other suggestions i have is that on your main portfolio page, there should be a number of your works with thumbnails, having the client click next each time is inconvenient, instead let them choose which work they want to look at by going through the thumbnails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Work and contact have the same picture?!

SitePoint Enthusiast EssenceHost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the overall color theme! The image on the left gives it a good touch. The colors are very mellow, if that's the effect you're going for then all the power to you. I'd usually design things with shocking colors because that is what attracts people.

The link says "work", but your page title displays "Portfolio". I think you should standardize this. Also I think the portfolio navigation system could be overhauled a bit more, with the use of javascript and CSS. show off your dynamic/interactive skills!

Like use an image for the next button, make it look like a gallery/navigation panel!

just my 2c.