SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

questions about verified by visa program

1. Is there a list of merchants accecpt this program and actually reconigze it? regrdless or not if visa guarantees your payment, it is still up to the merchants loss provention department to weather you receive your funds or not in a timily manner.

2. Do you have to notifiy your merchant that you use verify by visa or do they automatically know. If so, how

SitePoint Zealot CardinalCentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We put this together for the sitepoint forums. It seemed to have disappeared. Check this out and see if it answers some your questions.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206728
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com
    The Leaders in Authenticated Payments

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalCentinel
    We put this together for the sitepoint forums. It seemed to have disappeared. Check this out and see if it answers some your questions.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206728

that's a great article, but it still doesn't answer the main question that i had and that is do I have to notify my merchant that we use verified by visa and if not how will they know?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Noone is required to display the VbV or SecureCode insignia prior to checkout. All merchants want to put it close to the position where a shopper enters the credit card info, which I will get into.

VbV and SecureCode merchants represent the highest level of security and data protection online today. Their websites are 'virtual floating ATMs' which link them directly to any issuing bank in the world, and this what they represent to their shoppers, so informing a shopper that you support these programs is going to attract them indefinitely.

We have seen statistics that point to reduced abandonement rates when shoppers are presented with familiar and official logos that deal with security.

You don't have to notify your merchant that you use VbV when they are shopping, but Visa requires you in their "Best Practice Requirement Guide" that you present the insignia at the point of submission of the credit card info.

WallMart is an example of a merchant that presents the logos throughout their site.

Now you keep refering to "merchants," so I assume you are providing a web-service type business. If you are an MSP and offer VbV to your merchants, than you should notify them of this if they wish to partake in the program on their sites. If you are providing a product to them, which they purchase online, than the Visa Best Practices Requirements would dictate that you display the insignia at the point of CC # data submission.

There is no reason why you would "not" want to present these logos. But if your do have the programs present on your site, you must notify your shoppers at the appropriate time.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you understand what I am saying.

I don't have a problem with the logos or anything like that, there is no reason NOT to do that.

I run an online computer company. When the funds settle into our merchant account every day, and because we sell computers at times we have rather large trancations... how does our merchant bank know that this order was made by Verified by visa

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am very, very interested in signing up, as soon as tomorrow, but this is a key question that has to be answered becasue it's pointless to "guarantee" something if our merchant bank doesn't know what "verified by visa" is and still decides they want to hold the funds in a holding account because the transcation looks fradulent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. I understand completely now.

When the VbV transaction is completed you retreive an adjusted ECI and 28 bit encrypted code called the CAVV (not CVV). These two pieces of data combined are refered to as the digital signature and they are attached to your transaction. When you recieve the program from a vendor we have to make sure we have the certificate in-order for you to pass the data to your acquiring bank. We take upon the responsibility to acquire those certs, and we have done so for almost every merchant bank in the world. Visa has mandated that these banks be compliant with the programs, regardless of whether or not they are actively marketing it with their merchant base.

Your vendor is responsible for making sure the data is passed properly from: You to the Gateway to the Processor than your Merchant Bank.

In the case of Cardinal, we would immediately contact your bank once you've registered, and inform them that you are a participating merchant and you will be doing VbV transactions and all the benefits would apply to those transactions. This is our responsibility, not yours.

According to the FAQ I can't get into any further detail. You can contact me at mroche@cardinalcommerce.com and I can tell you the current status of your merchant bank.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com