SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it still necessary to provide a CSS alternative?

Browser usability question here. How relevant are non-CSS browsers today?

I've almost finished a site that is a complete CSS design, so to provide a non-CSS alternative I would essentially need to recode the entire site.

I know that some people still prefer to offer a fall back option for older browsers, but is that really necessary anymore? What is the marketshare of such browsers? It has to be incredibly low.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother redoing it all in tables. Let them suffer form the plain text content and maybe add a <h1 style="display: none">Update your browser!</h1> so only they will see it.

SitePoint Wizard megamanXplosion's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *agrees with mstwntd*

If you crafted your HTML and CSS correctly (including the CSS with the @import rule) then the older browsers will still be able to see all of your content and use it without any problem. I would add a message like mstwntd mentioned, try to explain to them that they should download an updated version of their browser. Use CSS to hide that message. Anyone using Netscape 4 or an equally-old browser and anyone using a browser without CSS will see the message if you @import the CSS file. Don't continue to bend over backwards for someone who is too lazy or stubborn to spend 30 minutes of their time every 3 years to upgrade their browser.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megamanXplosion
    If you crafted your HTML and CSS correctly (including the CSS with the @import rule) then the older browsers will still be able to see all of your content and use it without any problem.
    Well, uh, not really. I actually took a look at it in Netscape 4 and it is horribly broken, with basically no way to fix it without significant work.

I agree though that it probably isn't worth it to fix for such a small percentage of people, but I was interested if anyone had statistics on what percentage actually use those kinds of older browsers like ie4 and nn4.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paladin
    Well, uh, not really. I actually took a look at it in Netscape 4 and it is horribly broken, with basically no way to fix it without significant work.

I agree though that it probably isn't worth it to fix for such a small percentage of people, but I was interested if anyone had statistics on what percentage actually use those kinds of older browsers like ie4 and nn4.
    So, split the CSS that "breaks" it in netscape to a file that you envoke using the "@import" rule (usually positional stuff). Providing the page is marked up semantically sensibly, it should work with styles turned off completely (NS users just get a basic version).

Unfinished, and I haven't split off the NS bothering CSS yet, but check out www.mmaphuket.com in Firefox (or Opera) with styles switched off completely and you'll see what I mean.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS