SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will I be able to eat?

Well, I left my job six weeks ago. I'm now a full time keyboard jockey and the money is fast running out.

I launched an adwords campaign today that will clean me out fast if I don't sell goods. No sales, no food.

If anyone can see ANY good reason why my site would not sell the goods on show I'd really, really appreciate the feedback.
    Ampalian Direct Jewellery

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ampalian I PM'd you for a bit more info.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of traffic are you getting? You'll have a conversion rate of xx visitors to xx customers. It differs from industry to industry and store to store but sometimes can be as low as 50-1 or as high as 200-1. If you're only getting 50-100 visitors a day, if your site is just getting started, you still have a long way to go.

Quitting your job may not have been the best idea until you had your business making enough revenue to support you.

Are you pulling up in search engines at all? (Not pay per click, regular listings) That's where we get 90% of our traffic (and sales).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampalian
    Well, I left my job six weeks ago. I'm now a full time keyboard jockey and the money is fast running out.

I launched an adwords campaign today that will clean me out fast if I don't sell goods. No sales, no food.
    Somehow this doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked at it a couple of days ago ampalian and it was green, today it is purple. I would say personally if your marketing is generating visitors but your not making sales, change the site design, it's pretty ugly, to be frank. If I go to a site that looks grim I instantly think they're un-profesional, can't be bothered and most of all I cant trust them, so I won't buy a thing.

If you can post any info back here maybe people will suggest stuff that might help.
    Last edited by markchivs; Nov 14, 2004 at 05:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude.......part time job and start feeding the business (you can wait to eat). How bad do you want it? Do you have a business plan? Your site does need work. Get some new colors for sure. Example: http://www.bluenile.com/

see you at the top........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webflavor
    dude.......part time job and start feeding the business (you can wait to eat). How bad do you want it? Do you have a business plan? Your site does need work. Get some new colors for sure. Example: http://www.bluenile.com/

see you at the top........
    Good example site webflavour. It's got a clear difference between navigation and content. There's small overviews of each category as well as supporting information opn the products. It's easy for me to find what I want and the postage cost is clear on pages when I browse. How cool is the build your own diamond ring wizard?

I think Ampalian your site would be a lot better if it had the following:
    - A makeover, branding
    - Clearer navigation and content
    - More information to aid userbility i.e. clearer pricing, how to order, postage
    - More information on your own products. You can summarize with bullet lists but write some descriptions as well. More supporting content is going to widden your net for capturing visitors off search engines.

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's rather insane to jump that unprepared into business, but that's pretty much what I did personally, so I should probably shut up.

What the other guys are saying is sound advice. Your site does very much need an overhaul. It's okay, but okay does NOT cut it in the extremely competitive business that you have chosen. Even a template would spice it up quite a bit. There are also a number of things that eCommerce 101 that you are neglecting to do, such as listing postage fees (which by the way should be free on your kind of product).
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for taking the time to have a look and post your comments. It's greatly appreciated. All taken on board and my thoughts are as follows, I hope this opens up valuable discussion:

The overall design is partly dictated by OSc and I've never been keen on its look and feel but it's well supported and adaptable where so many eCommerce solutions deliver very rigid results. I'd like to do some business and plough some money back into cool design. Chicken and egg situation.

It might be useful to tell you who the benchmark competition is. It's geraldonline . com That's the business that I need to target.

Site search is something that a lot has gone into to create a USP. The main OSc search was neglected a bit whilst work continues on the category sort. The idea here is that a user can resort the category placing all Sapphire items at the top of the category view for example. It will also have sort by price, both high and low first order.

I'd like to employ more elegant fonts in keeping with the theme but I also want text not graphics ??

Currencies were playing up a bit and temporarily disabled but the intention is GBP, USD, AUD, EURO, YEN

The header text is very controversial. No one is offering me big bucks for a banner right now and as Google uses the first text it finds as the site description I've provided it. It needn't be permanent but I'm trying everything to get up the search engines. I can't afford to maintain PPC.

I agree about the colors and I've tried many combinations. The current scheme majoring on Aubergine and Green, I'm happy with. OSc still looks rudimentary and inelegant and needs a makeover or skin. I'll change the lizard colors to suit the final site rather than try to make the site suit the lizard.

The vast majority of comments about the photography have been surprisingly positive. These have been an awful lot of work and I've had to learn on the job of taking close to 1000 pictures so far. I've got better along the way. I now take between 2 and 4 shots of each item, some on glass and some not. Dark green works well as a contrast for both Gold and Silver and was inspired by the Harrods of London corporate color scheme.

There are currently around 260 individual products on the site. I want to expand this to around 2000. Additional images will be provided so will have various backgrounds which will dilute the green "in house" photography to around 1:10.

A few USP's

Whilst competitors quote 2-3 weeks delivery on many items I will deliver within 4-7 days, on everything, worldwide!

We really can offer an in house bespoke service. We can make to a customers specification, and fast. The workshop and the skills are right here, in house.

Category sort will show you a whole department but order all of the goods according to your preference.

Free delivery worldwide on all orders over 100. Delivery below 100 is only charged at net cost. UK 4.49 RoW 8.98

There will be a choice of 2000 items.

Price range 1.99 Silver Stud Earrings to 50,000 4 carat Diamond & Platinum Solitaire.

Any further input is truly welcome. I'm taking it all on the chin and it is steering the development of the site.

I AM NOT POSTING HERE TO GET VISITORS.

You're all great, thanks.

Malc