SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selecting a new merchant account

I just started an online personals site, and as of right now i am only accepting paypal. Which merchant do you think is the best to use? I like paypal but member would have to join paypal in order to pay their fees and to me thats just to much of a headache.
    Thanks for the help.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi

Hi, which country are you from? If your in the US you have a lot of choice, otherwise www.WorldPay.com or www.2checkout.com are probably your best choice if you want best International support.

Jamie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jamie for the reply I was actually just looking at 2checkout.com,
    They seem pretty fair. The thing i didnt like about their site was I had a qeustion that wasnt in the "list" and couldnt fins an email to contact someone. Have you heard any reviews on them. I like the fact it was a 30 free trial thing. I will look more in depth. Thanks Again

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey

Yeh I am actually sussing out 2checkout aswell, but I have realy had my eye on WorldPay for sometime.

As for the reviews of 2chackout you can do a search of the forum. I am about to do that aswell

Jamie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was gonna go with verisign.com but they said because the fees were coming from a personals site they would rather not do business with it.. I have never seen people turn business away.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personals sites are a extremely high risk business for credit card processors. The chargeback rates are very high. Getting a true merchant account with competitive rates is almost impossible.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    laflair13, stymiee is right you will proably need 6 months of processing history with good volume to even be looked at for a true merchant account. And even then you will proably have to go offshore. My suggestion is start with a third party and when your volume reaches $20,000 per month look into merchant accounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not even know if 2CO would let you use their services for a dating website. Usually it takes about 3-4 business days to get approved for a merchant account for a dating website depending on your processing history & financial background since you are in the United States. And then it also depends on what type of images you allow on your website. If nudity is allowed - you might be subject to Visa and MasterCard registration fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillyrich
    laflair13, stymiee is right you will proably need 6 months of processing history with good volume to even be looked at for a true merchant account. And even then you will proably have to go offshore. My suggestion is start with a third party and when your volume reaches $20,000 per month look into merchant accounts.

What do you mean start with a third party? I am new to this so sorry if I ask stupid qeustions. But doing something and not knowing about it is very stupid. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third party is like Paypal, CCAvenue, and 2CO. You are using their merchant account to accept credit cards. Dependings on the discount rate, and other charges, usually $1,000 in volume meets or beats 2CO prices / discount rate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Right now I am using paypal for the membership fees but dont know how to set it up to accept CC payments. I sent an email to supoort on how to go about doing that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    I do not even know if 2CO would let you use their services for a dating website. Usually it takes about 3-4 business days to get approved for a merchant account for a dating website depending on your processing history & financial background since you are in the United States. And then it also depends on what type of images you allow on your website. If nudity is allowed - you might be subject to Visa and MasterCard registration fees.
    We have two dating sites runing with 2CO. They approved. Possible problems would be if your website contains nudity or adult content.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laflair13
    I just started an online personals site, and as of right now i am only accepting paypal. Which merchant do you think is the best to use? I like paypal but member would have to join paypal in order to pay their fees and to me thats just to much of a headache.
    Thanks for the help.
    Just checking - but are you SURE that Paypal requires registration before someone can pay you via CC?

I know they used to be that way, but I think last time I recently checked anyone could pay with a credid card without having to register first, and I think their rates were pretty reasonable.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns
    Just checking - but are you SURE that Paypal requires registration before someone can pay you via CC?

I know they used to be that way, but I think last time I recently checked anyone could pay with a credid card without having to register first, and I think their rates were pretty reasonable.

Steve
    If you are a United States Merchant with the proper account with Paypal, your consumer does not need to be registered with Paypal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of any merchant accounts that accept "dating sites" with no nudity?

I was going to get one with a decent discount rate and stuff. But then, they told me that we'd need to send a reminder email every 2 months, reminding the user that he is getting recurring billing.

So I decided not to get this. I've been members with date.com match.com etc, none of them ever emailed me "reminding" me that i'm getting re-billed! ...

Anyone know any merchant that will not require this?
    I am looking to buy a solid high-traffic online business
    which makes over $600-$1000 per month.
    Include the URL, length of existance, full stats,
    revenues, price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    If you are a United States Merchant with the proper account with Paypal, your consumer does not need to be registered with Paypal.

One problem with PayPal merchants is that users get an email right before every period, reminding them of the recurring billing. This gives the customer a great idea to cancel.

I think this is the biggest downside of PayPal.
    revenues, price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I don't understand is why is getting a US Merchant Account for a dating site supposed to be so complicated?

... All the adult sites have recurring merchants, and I think Adult Sites have a lot more fraud and chargebacks.

Anybody thought of these companies for a dating site?:
    http://www.ccbill.com/
    http://www.pswbilling.com/
    revenues, price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not complicated - it is just there is a high risk of chargebacks - like I did not do it or I did not know it was going to be recurring or I was not happy with the services that was provided.

Paypal is only trying to protect their merchant ccount & chargeback raio - who can blame them. You should also be wanting to protect your chargeback ratoin.

CCBill is pretty good. They charge a lot more of course & you will be able to use them on your website if you do want to allow nudity.

The dating website should be nore more than something like a website that shares photos online I would think. It depends on your website, your terms of service, etc. If you add extra fraud verisifcation as well that will help to cut down on your charges. Plus is your website just dating or also for "hooking up"?