SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Authorization; Client vs Application

Currently I have protected my directories (3) via my WebHosting password protecting interface (eg click the directory, select passsword protect, create user and password). If someone does not enter correct userid/password then there is a 401 error message. In the future I anticipate 10-20 directories. The majority of directories will require a User ID and Password that will be the same for each user. The remaining few directories (maybe 3) will be used by admins only. They also will be required for an ID and password.

I would like to set-up a password management system via MySQL/PHP. If I go this route (I am told this is Password management via the Application side) do I then need to take off the password protection I have for the directories ? Otherwise I assume the user will be prompted twice for the user id/password ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what you are using is HTTP basic authentication. You might use PHP sessions instead... And yes, after you implement sessions, you'll have to disable HTTP authentication.