SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making sweet music

Hello,

I wanna make some cool sounding music for 1) Use in flash and 2) just for fun.

I'm looking to go beyond the sample EJay kind of application. What kind of programs should I be looking at?

I wanna create something to the tone of Linkin Park's Session, if you have ever heard that, it's on the sound track to one of the Matrix movies, I think the second one.

Someone told me all I need is Cubase and a few VST's is this true? What are programs like Gigasampler compared too Cubase?

Should I look into getting some Hardware, like a keyboard? I need something for good scratching sounds, I might need some Hardware for that!
    Garlic bread, I've tasted it, it's the future

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think you need keyboard..If you skilled musician use cubase otherwise try something like 'fruity loops' maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fruity loops? are you sure? it don't sound so good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google: Reason

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All of those are good suggestions. In my opinion, it depends on how much of a learning curve you're wanting to deal with.

How many scratching sounds do you need? Any specicific samples you want used? I could probably record some for you if you want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I prob want a lot of different scratching sounds so i need something good at making them, might need some hardware since it's difficult with a mouse to do it even if i got a good VST.

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if you want any live scratch samples, then let me know how long you need them to be. It's one of my hobbies.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smarky
    Fruity loops? are you sure? it don't sound so good
    "FruityLoops" is now FL Studio, and has been for about a year. You're correct that the default instruments are pretty crappy (with the possible exception of Sytrus) but I don't use them, so that doesn't bother me. If you ignore FL's default instruments and get yourself one or two VSTis, you can come up with some pretty decent stuff. Also, FL Studio 5 will be out in December.

I use FLS merely as a sequencer - I use Sound Forge for WAV editing, and recently spent a small fortune on a Virus C which I use for most of the instruments (I feel kind of silly given that just this week Access announced a new model - doh!). Unless you're very serious about producing, I won't even consider picking up hardware like the Virus... not yet anyway. Try out RGC's z3ta+ for starters - I've found it to be extremely versatile. KVR-VST has a huge list of VST instruments, both free and commercial and should be able to point you in the right direction.

As for scratch sounds, I don't know of anything hardware-wise that you can get to do that (unless you want to spend a fair bit of money on a turntable, vinyl and a microphone, just to record scratch sounds). There are literally thousands of sample CDs for sale, I'm sure you'll be able to find whole collections dedicated to scratch samples.
    Regards, Ant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FL Studio is nice, yes the instruments are semi crappy, but there are tons of free VST that you can use in there.

The price ranges are reasonable as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want an all in one solution I would take a look at FL Studio, Orion and Reason.

They all have their positives and negatives, but I would just play around with them all and find which one better fits with your methods of making music.

Cubase and a few VSTs will let you do an amazing amount (as will Cakewalk Sonar (with DXs) and Emagic Logic on the Mac. They all have cut down versions for those on a budget, which are great ways to get started. When you start looking for VSTs or DXs - KVRaudio should be your first port of call.

Gigasampler (as per your question) is a phrase based sampler, and is a great product in itself - but a completely different tool to sequencers like Cubase.

If you are completely new to everything above Ejay then there may even be some freeware/open source options that could work well for you (take a look at AudioMelody - my site) and could be worth checking out.

-Tim