User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Application idea's

Hi.

My upcoming college project is to design and make an application, and being as my most-known language is PHP im going to use PHP mainly to code for it.

Does anyone have any idea's of things for me to make, because im a bit stumped for idea's right now.

The only thought's ive had is: A text encoder/emailer, so a person could send encrypted messages over the internet, to someone that has the decoder. (It may not be too safe, like a pro encryption method, but it will be sufficient for a college project), or some kinda of reminder system, where a user can sign up/log in, and be able to add certian things they need to do for whatever day and time, and it will store them in order for that person, to look over whenever.

Does anyone have any other idea's for me?

Thanks, Cobra

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as i've said before (maybe here), it would be great if someone wanted my golf league management system (www.calvinmitcham.com/golf/), and refactored it into decent php code. hopefully, you could drag me along as you go, and teach me something.

calvin.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think i would be able to do that. My last site was for a PC game, and i dont think the teacher would be happy if i made another league. Also i dont know enough PHP, and you would probably want security etc at high levels, which i have no idea about.

Cobra

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could make a basic CMS (content management system). Basically have a registration/login piece, a news (news submission, management) section and an admin management section.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra123,

This idea will go down a storm at your college, but only if you do it well.

How about a site that allows users to manage their schedules. This in itself is of little interest, the interesting part is allowing users to make their schedule public, so that other users can see when they are busy, what they're doing etc.

The advantages for the user are that they have access to their own schedule from home, web cafe, college etc. and they can also work with other people's schedules to quickly arrange times to meet, see what class their friends are in etc.

Implementing this would also teach you a bit about security as you'd need to handle logins etc.

Does that sound any good?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanH
    Cobra123,

This idea will go down a storm at your college, but only if you do it well.

How about a site that allows users to manage their schedules. This in itself is of little interest, the interesting part is allowing users to make their schedule public, so that other users can see when they are busy, what they're doing etc.

The advantages for the user are that they have access to their own schedule from home, web cafe, college etc. and they can also work with other people's schedules to quickly arrange times to meet, see what class their friends are in etc.

Implementing this would also teach you a bit about security as you'd need to handle logins etc.

Does that sound any good?
    i was going to suggest something very similar to this but StefanH's version is better than what i was going to say. i like it

$this->toCD-R(LP); vinyl-junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about making a very simple database search engine? I would make the database with not more than 2 tables and not more than about 3 or 4 fields each.

You would of course design a search form to go along with it, which would have the fields to search your database on. You could make a project like this as simple or as complicated as you wanted, depending on the amount of time you had to work with it.

Hope this helps.
    Music Around The World - Collecting tips, trade
    and want lists, album reviews, & more
    Showcase your music collection on the Web

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it's for a college project I wouldn't go for anything too complicated, for 2 points

1) Limited time frame
    2) It's a project just to see how well you understand a language and it's syntax and design methodology and nothing more.

Go for something that satifies the purpose of the project and leave it that. My thoughts are you could do something based on your current PHP skill? Such as an RSS CMS, that way if your just starting out you can come here and get a lot of help, as RSS is common discussion fodder on these forums

If you know a bit more than the basics, hows about doing something simple with OO Programming if that is new to you? Maybe learn a design pattern or two and extrapolate from that to develop your interpretion (excuse my poor spelling) of a pattern?

That'd bound to count towards your project I'd think

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of your idea's guys, i like them all.

My next lesson is tomorow so i will have a word with the teacher, and see which he thinks are good/suitable.

Cobra