User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

form output to Word

Hello,

I have the following problem. I have an application form on my website. When the form is filled in correcly and the user presses 'send' I receive the form in my email as plain text.

I then copy/paste the text in the email (from the form) to a preformatted Word document. This document consists of numerous tables. This copy/pasting is pretty cumbersome work and I would like to know if there is a way to do it quicker. Like, for example, when the form is submitted I receive the pre-formatted Word document in my email as an attachment (all filled in ofcourse). I know I could tell ppl to download the document, then fill it in and then email it to me, but I dont like that option. (The server is running on Linux so any COM calls won't work)

Help would be greatly appreciated!

P3x
    Last edited by p3x; Nov 11, 2004 at 07:47.

Resident Java Hater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Word can read/write HTML (though it puts loads of office XML inside).

Why not make your PHP write a HTML file and then open that in word. As long as you write in the nasty "Made with crappy MS Word(tm)" META tags in the source, the HTML file will open with Word.

The other thing is to save the template word file as a HTML file. Now use a template engine to place the form values into this template HTML file and save it somewhere