SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    i'm now building a site for teens, areacool.com. I'm designing it with fireworks.and then with dreamweaver .Both version 4.0 . And i'm having a problem (obviously, overwise i would'nt post Justin ).I'm trying to do some "big" mouse over effects. If you have good experiences with fireworks, u could help me! Try to download it at http://www.areacool.f2s.com/areacool2.png and then, u'll see many frames, like community, chat, news, movies, games,........... All these frames are used that when somebody put his mouse over , for exemple, community on the main frame, the text and symbol found at the "community" frame should appear. Understood ???. I think you should create a disjoint mouse over. I'm sure u already know that , but still............. I'll be VERY GREATful to you if you could help me that way !.i'm so determine to finish my site ,u surely understand you can also email me, at eddydove@intnet.mu (please don't spam )) ). as i know, u should create a slice and then join it with the community slice...... , don't worry, i tried, but after doing about 7 mouse overs, there is like a white square which blocks all the view of the mouse over text !!!. Incredible. i shouldn't be too long.

sorry i could uploaded it for you to see, but i had many problems uploading it, dunno y!

Thanx, and please, help me if u can.

Brian

(PLease don't tell me that this is not in the proper forum. It can't be at the trading post, or something of that sort. )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Well I just downloaded your file. I am not going to do it, I just wanted to see what it looked like.

I would highly suggest you break that thing into different sections because you are going to run into some huge, huge download problems. Maybe that is what you are planning on doing, I hope.

Make the background colors and stuff the background of the table...but the buttons in the table....don't have it all in the graphic, or I'm telling ya, it will be huge.

The overall design looks awesome. Just you need to break it up so it will load faster. If you are planning on doing that, then thats great.

It looks good.

Thanks,

Eric McGill
    http://www.fivemiledesign.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey,
    thanx for the cool comments about the design.But u'r telling me it will be huge to download, what do you mean "huge to download" . I mean i understand huge means big but how?. I think that fireworks breaks it seperate parts. where you finish your design, u export it, and it is saved as a html page, with broken parts.
    could u explain me the "huge to download"
    or u meant huge to upload
    sorry, i'm a french dude!

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isn't it dangerous to put my file to download here?.can't people steel it ?

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You gave us a link to it so couldn't we "steel" it anyways?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sure that BC ,chicken,..........and other administrative people are doing their work and there'r accepting only "good" and "serious" people at sitepoint

Brian
    Ps: please don't steel, i've work my life for this design.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I mean when the user goes to your page it is going to take forever for the page to load for them. People still have slow connections to the Internet, you know what I mean? It will take forever....take to long. They will go to the compitition.

Look: http://www.fivemiledesign.com/personal/brian.html
    It loads slow.
    The Proof: http://www.fivemiledesign.com/person...n/loadtime.gif
    Ran it through a test. 2 out of 5 stars.

I stoled your page by the way to do this.....but I will give it back...but some people might not! It is risky. Anyway...

It is true that Fireworks breaks it apart, and it does a wonderful job....however...anything that you can take out of your graphic, like background colors, will make it load much faster for the user.

Your page, unless you make it smaller, is also going to be to wide. The average person only surfs at 800 x 600 resolution. Your image is 1160 x 1120. They are going to have a long scroll bar on the bottom of the page.

Also, if you broke this image into different parts you wouldn't have so many layers, slices...etc to work with when you are designing it. Maybe you could do it yourself so you wouldn't be so confused then? Break it into the navigation, the text area, the left side, the right side....Manually.

You starting to understand what I mean? Break it down.

Had to edit this in..........does ANYONE out there undrstand what I mean? Am I totally wrong? I am starting to second guess myself now!

Check your private messages.

Thanks,

Eric McGill
    http://www.fivemiledesign.com
    Last edited by emcgill; Apr 14, 2001 at 05:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand you man, loud and clear.

I wouldn't recommend using Fireworks to slice stuff up, mainly because everytime I've used it, it's either gone horribly wrong or produced MASSES of extra code that really wasn't necessary. Same with Dreamweaver's rollovers.

Why not build the page in Dreamweaver and put rollovers/popups/blink tags/other effects in there?