SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this PEAR you speak of?

I am a decent web developer that can basically write anything you want using PHP and MySQL. Unfortunately I have no experience with OOP of any kind. PHP scripting is where my "programming" began and where I am to date. I have been looking around trying to find a good tutorial on OOP and found working with PEAR is a great advantage. So I want to learn how to write a small application using OOP and this PEAR. Say something like a small contact database.

My goal is to institute this "new knowledge" where I work.

Our large organization has decided to convert our web based application that has over 350 tables (Oracle) from a proprietary language to PHP and we have been having great success. I want to continue this using perhaps something like "SMARTY" which I understand is a great tool?

Any suggestions on where to start my education on OOP PHP?

And for anyone that says you cant use PHP for enterprise applications let them know we have 3700+ users and over 11,000 presently use our elearning PHP module. Like I said we are a large organization
    The only function of business is to create customer value and to innovate. - Peter Drucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP can easily be used for enterprise applications not sure why some says it can't. To be honest I'm not sure if you want to start your OOP with PHP, you may want to start by reading up on Java and learning some of that, it might give you a clearer knowledge of what OOP is and how it works. I'm not saying you can't learn it from PHP, you just may have an easier time with a language that is FULLY OOP and has great turtorials all over the place.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Java would be a good start, and if you look at the 'Advanced Resources' link in the advanced php forums, you'll find the link to download the free ebook 'thinking in java', currently the third edition.

For beginners this is ideal for you, you'll learn the basics and a lot, lot more. It's Java but don't let that get in the way, as OO Programming is just about the same cross language for the most part, even though PHP4 does not have 'full' OO functionality.

Download the PDF/HTML and source files and get started