SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New PHP framework (www.dizzypages.com)

Recently I released a beta version of my web application framework dizzyPages (dP) on sourceforge. I've been developing the framework in a black box for the last year. dP framework consists of an application prototyping tool, PHP API, and XSL templates.

I've recently noticed that the world has an MVC design paradigm. Many of the MVC methodologies are implemented in dP. In a way I'm happy not to have known of MVC and have implemented without any influence and then again I'm sure I could have done some things better with the wealth of MVC knowledge available.

Part of the dP framework is an interactive application prototyping tool. You can quickly move back and forth between the prototyping tool and code (PHP/XSL). You can try the prototype tool online at www.dizzypages.com. You must register a user/application to use the tool. Feel free to enter bogus info in the registration (I'm not trying to collect any info).

I would like to get feedback from the MVC world on how my framework can fit in.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to look tomorrow as it's getting late but what I'm asking is what version of PHP are you working with?

I work with PHP5 and have been exploring XSL to a deeper level this last week in regards to creating something useful with it in the near future.

Would be good to hear what you have in mind for your framework long term?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently:
    Development PHP Version 4.3.3
    Production PHP Version 4.3.0

Testing/Porting to PHP 5 is at the top of my to do list. It is possible that nothing needs to be done.

The XSL templates are one of the more mature parts of dP. The prototyping tool is a dP application and has served as the test application to develop the templates. The XSL templates are documented (http://dizzypages.com/dze/doc/xsl/index.html) using pyXSLdoc (http://cthedot.de/pyxsldoc/) javadoc style. The dynamic data for a page is built with PHP's XML DOM library and the XSL is tranformed with either domxml_xslt_stylesheet_file (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/functio...sheet-file.php) or xslt_process (http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.xslt-process.php). dP looks for which transform library is present in the order listed and uses the first one found.

I'd like the product to develop a user base and to mature dP based on the communities needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenav
    Testing/Porting to PHP 5 is at the top of my to do list. It is possible that nothing needs to be done.
    It isn't really a case of whether it works as it would in PHP4, but rather that it can take advantage of the new features of PHP5.

For example, PHP5 has a new XSL lib: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.xsl.php and a new DOM lib: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/ref.dom.php

It would also be nice to see a framework with support for PHP5 exceptions, takes advantage of the new PHP5 SPL lib whenever possible etc.

Douglas
    Hello World

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For now dP code will support PHP 4 and 5 from one code base with the intent of changing to 5 in the future for two reasons:
    1. Most Hosting ISPs only offer PHP 4.
    2. PHP 5 should mature a bit more before used as a production environment.
    The PHP 4 or 5 discussion should be continued on one of the following threads:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181764
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192869
    Iíd like to stick to the merits of dizzyPages framework on this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzenav
    The PHP 4 or 5 discussion
    I'm not having that discussion, all my new long-term projects are going PHP5 only.

That means a new framework focused on PHP4 isn't as interesting as a PHP5 focused one because it won't take advantage of PHP5, even if it does run.

I think that that is what Version0-00e was getting at too.

YMMV,
    Douglas
    Last edited by DougBTX; Nov 9, 2004 at 13:37.
    Hello World

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New long-term projects are going PHP5 only.

Off Topic:

No real point in starting or even continueing development of pre stable projects with PHP4 in my view, and PHP5 will be available on commercial hosting within the next 9 months tops I reckon

That fact, and as mentioned PHP5 has a lot of new features that PHP4 simple has not got, and would find it difficult to replicate, such as Reflection and the SPL for example, which offers some powerful tools for easier development.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am porting to PHP 5. It should take about 2 weeks.

dP 0.70 was written in PHP 4 OO style. Iíll change the class methods to throw exceptions instead of returning an error. PHPdocumentor supports PHP 5 so hopefully the documentation changes should be easy.

I will also take the opportunity to change from the DOM XML library to DOM. I looked at SimpleXML. It turns out that SimpleXML is too simple and does not allow you to build DOM dynamically. I will use the XSL library for transformations and XSLT library as a fall back if XSL is not found.

My dizzyPages ISP doesnít support PHP 4 but will allow me to install PHP 5 on my own. Iím assuming that will work out.

In the mean time the prototyping tool that is available to demo online at (www.dizzypages.com) will continue to run. Its functionality should be identical after the port is finished.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The port of www.dizzypages.com from PHP4 to PHP5 has been completed as stated in the previous posting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

just tried your framework... and got really confused how to build a simple page with some text on it. after reading parts of your tutorial it became clear that i have to use an "attribute". tried that and finally gave up because it forced me to set up a "form" ?

all in all i must say that the visible part is a bit abstract for my liking. it was't obvious how the whole thing works. for me thats a clear show stopper - its ok to read a bit as you go but your case (?) tool just confused me.. sorry but i think you really should rework the user interface.

cheers
    Sike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry you had this experience. The casetool is a complete application and as with most applications have some learning curve. This is a tool for building applications and is not trivial like something as familiar as 'Notepad'. The tool runs in HTML and does not have the suffisticated interface that a true GUI offers.

For this reason the home page of the casetool states as the first item.

You are currently developing the application: 'Your Applications Name'
    If this is your first time using the tool
    please start by reading the dizzyPages Tutorial.

The first page of the Tutorial in the Introduction third line states.

You may wish to skip around, but it is recommended that you first complete
    Section 1 and 2 of Chapter 1.
    Once this is completed about 3 minutes of your time the general gist of the
    tool is conveyed.

If you just started to jump around I wouldn't be surprised with your experience.

The casetool is meant to build user interactive elements meaning forms. Static text would be added via modifications to the dP XSL templates. You need to download and install dP to change backend server functionality.