SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question One merchant account for many stores...

I want to set up more than one eCommerce site using x-cart, but does anybody know if I have to pay extra costs if I want to use the same merchant account for more than one store? Would I need to pay a set up fee again?

Jamie.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on the bank you get for your merchant account. Mine allows me to use it on multiple sites. Some do not.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most do not. Most processors require one account for each site. This is because each one will need to operate under its own DBA (business name). If you share one account under one corporate name the odds are the corporate name will not describe the products on all of your sites very well. Your customers will then be less likely to recognize the name on their billing statement and this will result in a higher chargeback rate. That alone will cause huge headaches for you up to and including being banned from accepting credit cards ever again!

Not to mention, it can be a nightmare trying toreconcile your sales from multiple sites. Imagine if your batch was incorrect at the end of the day. Good luck trying to sort that one out.

But you can have all of the funds from each account be linked to ine checking account, though. That's not a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you are selling. If they are two totally different itmes - like pet products & computer related - no. But if it is all computer related - there is a chance that you can have more than one site using the same merchant account. You need to make sure the consumer is fully aware of what company they are paying.

For example, one hosting company is named Hosting ABC , but their marketing sites are Host 1 & Host 2. The same merchant account is used on both sites. With you being in Australia, the international rules from Visa & MasterCard apply & they might be a little different there. Contact a few different companies to see what they say.

Some resellers might just tell you need more than one account to up their quota. it really depends on a lot more than what you have given us

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks

ok thanks guys. Yeh I was hoping I would be able to set up a few subsidiaries and make note of the parent company during the checkout process, in all the policies and conditions, as well as the footer.

I was planning to use WorldPay or DirectOne (the Commonwealth Bank uses DirectOne I think)

I'll have to look into it more, but if anyone knows more info please keep posting

Thanks,
    Jamie.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also use a payment gateway that will add a different device id to for each store and let the bank know so transactions can be tracked if a problem arises. That is what we do through Netbilling.com and each account generates their own batches.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

What are some recommended merchant accounts that allows ONE account for multiple non-related sites?

Thanks!
    : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet
    Hi,

What are some recommended merchant accounts that allows ONE account for multiple non-related sites?

Thanks!
    Check Netbilling.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Netbilling is only a payment gateway - not a processor. Please keep that in mind. There are a lot of processors out there that will allow this as long as you state on those websites what exactly is happening.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Netbilling is only a payment gateway - not a processor. Please keep that in mind. There are a lot of processors out there that will allow this as long as you state on those websites what exactly is happening.
    I see you posting this same thing often about Netbilling and other gateways. Why? I know they setup merchant accounts, have a call center, and are a payment gateway too. So what is the difference if you can get all of your needs met in one place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I have recommended Netbilling before to someone that needed their specific services & they signed up with them. But they are a gateway. The prices listed on their site once had 1.5% for the gateway only. It seems to confuse people because they think they can get an internet merchant account for the 1.5% discount rate. This is why I say it - I get PMs and emails from people asking me how Netbilling can do it. So the more that I can say it here helps to hopefully let people understand.

Plus if they offer merchant accounts I do not see what bank they are affiliated with - which is also against the regulations of Visa.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Bryant
    Actually I have recommended Netbilling before to someone that needed their specific services & they signed up with them. But they are a gateway. The prices listed on their site once had 1.5% for the gateway only. It seems to confuse people because they think they can get an internet merchant account for the 1.5% discount rate. This is why I say it - I get PMs and emails from people asking me how Netbilling can do it. So the more that I can say it here helps to hopefully let people understand.

Plus if they offer merchant accounts I do not see what bank they are affiliated with - which is also against the regulations of Visa.
    Hi,

I see their banks listed here. I know they do offshore accounts too.

http://netbilling.com/services.php?id=2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I just did not have time to search & read thru all the fine print. Maybe they could increase that font size - my eyes are getting old