User Tag List

Thread: GeoWorld

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GeoWorld

If anyone has time to glance at www.geoworld.org, I'd love to get some feedback. The site's too big to request a thorough examination, and many pages and features aren't finished anyway.

But here are some key points I'd like to know about:

1. What do you think of the overall home page design? Is it an improvement over the original, at http://www.geoworld.org/indexCOPY.php ? (The table on the left side of the page features links to the site's main sections, while the links floating over the globe on the right side of the page fetch JavaScript pop-up windows that serve as "remote controls.")

2. What do you think of the FACTS page? If you look at France's FACTS page at
    http://www.geoworld.org/eurasia/fra/facts/index.php you'll see my overall goal is to make each page very simple, for children. Rather than scroll down the page, they can simply click a topic, and a text panel pops open. You can see what I mean if you click People (the only topic that's finished, I think).

If you click the "Features" link in the top right corner, a panel pops up on the opposite side of the page. Few of the features listed are presently working, but you get the idea.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh.. Incompatible with 800 x 600 resolution! The pages have an unnecessary horizontal space after the 800th pixel. Also the colors look too 4-bittish I'd advise you to use lighter and darker tones of 3 or less colors to get a better feel. I used IE 6 to view your website.
    Last edited by Onur; Nov 20, 2004 at 03:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have multiple php errors throughout your site. You should fix these errors before asking for a review. Put your website in a fixed table. It spreads accross my laptop screen (there is a horizontal sroll bar when there should not be one)
    My Jewelry Website (Nita Creations Jewelry): NCJ.US
    Visit Avid Website Design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some errors and i am not too crazy about those colors. Maybe change em up and the gradients :O. Output your images with higher quality and theylll ook nicer. Pretty good organixation. Why a dot org any? Others taken? Overall i htink you need to work on your design and the php/coding errors.
    Webmaster.NinBit
    Coder.CSS,PHP,XHTML,Javascript
    Email.elitegamer@gmail.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is very bright in spots, and I see places where the text appears to vanish into the background?

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd point out all the problems I'm seeing using IE6, but since you've told me (a random visitor) that I'm not using a *good* browser and that Mozilla is the only one I should view your site with, perhaps you don't mind that they exist.

BTW, I don't think alienating a large portion of people who visit your site is a good idea. -->> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy cow, I've been studying web design and working on my sites for a couplel years now, and I still feel like an amateur!

But thanks for all the tips. I'll get to work on all of them. I wish I had found the time to polish my graphics skills long ago; I have about 300 headers to revise!

I'll fix the PHP errors, too. That just takes a long time to learn.

I don't understand this comment, though:

Quote Originally Posted by MadSpikey
    Why a dot org any? Others taken?
    Are you asking why I chose www.geobop.org as a domain name rather than www.geobop.com? I just think .org sounds way more cool. .Com could stand for "common." Though I do hope to make money off my sites through advertising, they aren't purely commercial sites.

Thanks again for all the tips.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive me if my thoughts sound harsh but I can easily say nothing about this website appeals to me. I see absolutely no demonstration of design theory or color theory for that matter. The design is extremely basic (which I really donít hold against you because everyone is at a different skill level) but considering the extreme simplicity of it, I would have expected for it to load faster and be a little more aesthetically pleasant. There is an extreme lack of consistency in style and the graphics are flamboyant and gaudy. This web design doesnít successfully target its audience. I understand not everyone is a professional web/graphic developer but I suggest you seriously reconsider the design.

Iíd suggest you stick to a more basic color scheme, organize the content more and make it more presentable, remove the graphics entirely or have them redesigned, and fix the PHP errors. I can commend you however on the fact that your page validates as XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Good job! I would also suggest that you create an external stylesheet and relieve your index page of some of that weight.

Good luck making the necessary improvements.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stoavio
    The design is extremely basic (which I really donít hold against you because everyone is at a different skill level) but considering the extreme simplicity of it...
    Yes, I want a really simple design, internally and externally. I want a simple internal design that will be easy to work with and modify, and I want an external design that doesn't overwhelm visitors with dozens of links, graphics, etc.

Remove the graphics entirely or have them redesigned...
    Even the headers, like these?:

http://www.geoworld.org/images/banners/sa/brz.gif
    http://www.geoworld.org/images/banners/afrken.gif

Or are you just referring to background images?

"I would also suggest that you create an external stylesheet and relieve your index page of some of that weight."

But wouldn't that just be shifting the weight from one page to another? Most pages on the site share style sheets, but I made a unique style sheet for the home page, then decided to just insert it in that page's head.

I didn't realize there were so many PHP errors. It looks like something went awry when I republished one of my PHP scripts.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, there are no HTML errors, which I think is good since the search engine crawlers can spider you well.

As said before bad links, 6 of them:
    favicon.ico
    /north_america/central_america/
    /australia/
    /antarctica/
    /oceanus/atlantic_ocean/car/
    /southern_ocean/

Also this page doesnt work: http://www.geoworld.org/about/support/suggest/

Good luck

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assumed you were including the CSS over and over again for each subpage. If this CSS is written specifically for your index page that is fine

-Mason

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Hmmm the site seems too have very many error's on it so it still needs alot of work to it.

Colors seem to be ok if you want to target a young crowd, but I would work on useing only 1-3 colors that blend match well.
    This site was designed by GeoWebWorks for the Mozilla/Firefox and Opera browsers, the superior, safer and more ethical and patriotic alternatives to Microsoftís Internet Explorer. Download Firefox, then visit these other fine Geobop sites and spread the word!

Get rid of the above it makes the site user feel like he has done something wrong
    never a good thing when you are trying to make your visiters feel welcomed
    and when you are targeting young kids =).

However we all know Mozilla/Firefox is da bomb.

You might want to also tell your users where all these educational resources on the site are coming from is it coming from your own source's, census, etc?

Well keep up the work still looks like you have alot more to do on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have an IE error see attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the attached image
    red arrows = Text being cut off
    Blue Arrow = page doesnt resize when window is open full.

The pop-up nav things are way slow and need rethinking.

The concept is great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need a more creative use of fonts here.These days as sites get more and more professional in their look and layout ,you really need to stand out.
    Some pics wouldn't hurt either.
    Study some other stes you like and try to see what makes them visualy appealing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good, could do a bit better for the top header tho.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the colour set was not match nicely