SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Web Designer bailed, so I did it myself.

I hired a moonlighter and he bailed on me just before my site was to go live (I had already printed announcements). So I got on the stick and put it together myself and am curious to everyone here's (much more expert) advice.

www.insuretampabay.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome and a few comments

Welcome to the Web - may you make a lot of money here.

Keeping in mind you did it yourself, here's a couple of suggestions I would make:

• You have images of the insurance companies you work with at the bottom of the page - perhaps make them smaller and put them towards the top, or at least include their names in the opening paragraph.

• Set values for the meta tags - namely keywords and descriptions.

• The navigaton changes on every page, and a user may get confused or lose track of where they are - you may want to have consistent navigation on all pages.

And lastly, I would suggest seeking out a professional Web developer/designer, but I'm sure you have already done that!

mp/m

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adding to zivo`s comments... Not bad, esy to understand, reads clear and layout is simple, I would of thought that you would of had your own logo though... Not to sure about the header image, for insurance maybe a family look, but not all close at had, taking into account people might not have a complete family, so how about flowers and grass with images of children as in site right now "smaller", blending in with male and female, you have to show in the visitors mind, that you are there for all walks of life and splitting the Norm up in a header leaves your visitors their imagination of their own life styles, hope that reads right, the final thing would be the image buttons they don`t seem to fit and look right, green background might look better, blending in from the header colours, good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man yahoo really messes your code up.. Considering your not a designer this site is pretty good.. If you are to do business maybe a more professional look would be needed but as you have it, it is very easy to access the information at hand.. You could probably optimize that huge image at the top.... Also learning the basics of HTML could help you cut down the code size and fix the meta tags.. Good job, though..

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it looks unprofessional and so will your clients.

I know that you had to publish this, but I hope you take the opportunity to have someone tidy this up for you asap.

Sorry to be blunt.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

SitePoint Enthusiast atotalstranger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely not bad for not being a web designer, but still needs a lot of work. Navigation needs to be consistent throughout the site. Lots of oddball spacing of text and other elements - looks very unbalanced. I would probably reduce the size of your header image quite a bit - it takes up a lot of space without adding anything useful. Simple would work fine for a site like this - just needs some rough edges removed. Not the worst site out there, but probably not conveying the ideal image to clients.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much white. I think you should put the logo/name of company first, above the picture. The page has no beginning or end, plus the user has to scroll lots to get info. If I were a client I'd be put off.

Try using a border, shortening up the introduction, experiment with different colors and re-do the top nav bar... it's not obvious and it is really out of place.

This isn't to rip you apart, I realize it's your first and it is definately workable. Just use your creative side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Title! Change the title to whatever key phrase you are targetting (i.e. "Insurance Tampa Bay")

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site does seem unproffesional but that is because you are not a professional. Some hints to tidy it up are:
    - I like the image at the top but it could use a touch up too, there are those little white dots on it. You should be able to do that with the clone tool, or stamp tool in most photo editing programs.
    -The site would look better if it were centered because the veiwer is going to naturally look there first and it is distracting for it to be on the side.
    -The buttons are nice but whatever program you used it was exported poorly.
    -The text look unprofesional try to use another font.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not a bad first time effort for a 'non web designer'!

- the image at the top is probably too big (imo)

- you home page (ideally) should not scroll .... all the info should be viewable on one page.

- the graphics down the bottom of the page should also be smaller
    www.ActionFonts.com - 1000's of free Fonts for you to download!

www.DingbatDepot.com - a huge archive of free Dingbat Fonts!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You

I just want to say how great and helpful all of you have been.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has everything there (ie: all the right content) it just needs some polishing. Here's my 2 cents worth:

- center the page to 90%
    - header image: it's seems too close/zoomed in. I'd have smaller faces on the center to right leaving room for a logo on the left
    - You need a logo, preferrably within the header on the left
    - I'd resize your 4 images (much smaller) and place them high up and on the right side
    - write a title and keyword/description
    - and stick to a consistent navigation

Also I'd get rid of the Yahoo Maps on the main page and link to it on its own page.

It's best to work on your main page and once it's perfected use it as a template for the rest of your pages. It'll give your business a more consistent look.

hope this helps a little

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are not a professional
    and
    'non web designer'
    Good to know that if you call yourself a 'professional' you can automatically do everything better.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, the website needs a little help but I give you credit for taking it upon yourself to pick up where your designer left off. Good job. If you want some cost-effective help, just let me know

-Mason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not bad. It loads a bit slow on a 56k dailup. I would include some type of logo instead of that header image. Also change your page's Title text to something like "InsureTampaBay.com - Index". It just makes it a bit clearer to identify which page you are on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's simple and to the point. I found what I needed, but I do agree with the others on a few points.

1. Bring the partner insurance company logos up to the top and make them smaller.

2. The site looks thrown together. You have a good base to work from, make it a little nicer, add color, etc.

3. The forms are very cold, a picture or some colors would help liven things up.

I hope that helps. A nice job for a beginner.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice

looks well done for a beginner. I would add somewhat of an outline and such.
    Maybe more colorfule (base the site on 3 or 4 main colors) and go with it from there...

Hope this helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it was made by a beginner in Frontpage. Which would be ok if it were just a personal site, but it's not. I would definitely suggest getting someone who knows what they're doing to redo the site for you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it was made by a beginner in Frontpage. Which would be ok if it were just a personal site, but it's not. I would definitely suggest getting someone who knows what they're doing to redo the site for you.
    It's not that bad. The ingredients are all there it just needs a little layout workover.

I'd prefer this than to a generic template from TMonster anytime!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have the basics down, you may want to think about
    drawing what you want on paper (doodling) and then give it a shot using centered tables.
    Everything being left justified is ok but it looks weird if you have a higher resolution
    on your monitor.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the site is ok but i would definatly sort those buttons out at the top they look terrible however the rest of the site is ok just spend 10 minutes on creating some new buttons simple and easy to do in firworks

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the buttons at the bottom are big and should really be at the top.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree the image at the top was too big at this moment .

try to put the "privacy" and "who are our insurance companies" button at main page.