SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your most outrageous promotion idea that worked? Have you been able to recreate it and would you use it again.

Share your off the wall promotion techniques today.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not outrageous, but it has got my site noticed and brought in some new paying clients.

On my local community site, just to have content I ran a promotion for an event sponsored by a local business persons group. Of course, several of them talked about it in their meetings, showed it to freinds, etc. This got my name out to area business owners, making sales calls alot easier! Their next event coming up real soon is being advertised on the radio...and their going to tell people..."for more info go to "mysite.com" So, free radio ads for a couple of weeks!!!

Another one that worked well:
    A few months back when all the local businesses were getting their yellow page ads ready, for the ones we were working with at the time I offered a discount if they would list "mysite.com/theirbusiness" in their ad. Not that it will be effective for traffic, but sure helps for brand recognition and credibility! And it means their going to stay my clients for a year anyway!

Something that I just started doing is promoting local government functions, events. Get the information, do up some pages, then jump on the search engines with it. Use goto.com to pull a #1 ranking, let the powers that be know about the positioning over and above their own pages! Powerful, and gets ALOT of name dropping for the site!

For local community sites these ideas will always work and be very effective. Wish I'd have realized the value earlier, and had the time to work with more "clients" in a quicker manner. Now working on making my site more user friendly, pretty, and easier to manage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be more suited to the advertising forum than the promotion, but here goes...

I found the name datingreview.com while browsing Nameboy, liked it and registered it. I thought it would be good to do a site listed the different online dating services (mainly my affiliate links), and have a way for readers to rate them. So I made a quickie site and got inexpensive hosting through www.your-site.com/. I figured at very least, it would break even, and be another site to add on a resume.

I plopped a link to it on my Way Too Personal & WTP Forums sites, and pretty much ignored it. The other day, I checked the revenue stats, and the little stinker is pulling in the equivalent of $35 CPM! Just off affiliate links!

Unfortunately, it's not getting a lot of traffic, yet. But it's earning enough to pay for the hosting on all of my sites. And now that I know it has potential, I'm going to promote it a bit more. I've co-branded my WTP Forums (vBulletin based) to match Dating Review's look, for starters.

So... if you have a content site that isn't quite pulling in the revenue you'd like, think of a complementary sister-site that might draw more targetted traffic. It just might work!
    Cheese-N-Rice - A daily comic strip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Will sound weird but:

I changed all the screensavers in my school library to have my URL in it it stayed for about 2 days before they worked out how to change it back

And they had a banner on the wall saying "Learn how to make websites a geocities.com"

I changed it to "Learn how to make websites at CodingClick.com"

They worked slightly, and extra hit or two!!

My latest was submitting my script to hotscripts.com and today (i submitted) my traffic has multiplied by 10 already and keep rising!

Not outragous but the traffic is!