SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast Double Down's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best eCommerce ideas for small site?

I am about to have designed and developed a simple 3 page ecommerce site. It will only sell about 3 products at $19.95 each and probably will only sell about 40 a month.

My questions are:

1. What is the best option for me in order to accept credit cards and online checks?

2. What is the cheapest/best option for monthly fees, etc?

3. What is the best/cheapest hosting provider for this type of site?

4. Is there anything else I should be thinking about or need to know when getting into this?

Thanks,

Chris

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd look into third party payment processors like Paypal, 2checkout, Paysystems and others like them. AFAIK, none of them have monthly fees. They have a higher percentage than a real merchant account, but with that low volume it won't be quite as much as the monthly fees you pay on a merchant account.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

SitePoint Enthusiast Double Down's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks, I will do that and that makes sense to me.

Best,

Double Down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a merchant account & being based in the United States you might be looking at $60 a month (including the monthly fees, transaction rate, and discount rate). That is about 7.5% . A little high, I will grant you that. With Paypal, you might be looking at spending about $24.00. Much lower of course.

Now all you have to do is figure out who your consumers will be & if they would be apt to use Paypal. if not - you might consider 2CO as well (in conjunction with Paypal). This way - you pay as go as Peter stated - just a little higher rate.

Usually if you are processing over $1,000 a month is usually the best time to consider using a merchant account since you are based in the United States.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For only $800 revenues I would go with a 3rd party processor also, maybe www.paypal.com or www.2checkout.com - both allow you to create a store using their shopping cart/website. You could just add order links from your website and they do the rest.

Plus, you'll actually save money using a third party processor since your anticipated revenues are so low. If your revenues go up, you can always switch to a real merchant account then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a merchant account, in addition to paypal. The rates are lower, even if your volume is not that high. There is lot's of competition out there and setup fees if not waived are negligible.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched from 2checkout to a merchant account when we were around $750 per month, and have since grown into it, we don't regret it.
    Dog Gift Baskets - Doggie Deliveries features dog gift baskets filled with gourmet dog treats.