SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which one... Zend or Komodo is the that will autocomplete classes?

For example:

include(DIR . 'class.php');

$class =& new class();

$class->(auto completes now)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys,

Ive recently been using zend, dreamweaver MX, PHP designer 2005, Maguma Studio and Nu-Sphere. I have decided Im going to stick with PHP designer for all the PHP stuff and dreamweaver MX for the HTML/CSS side of things.

I was inpressed with maguma studio but it just wasnt quite right for me and I sometimes found it to be quite buggy, For instance everytime I went to edit the colors of syntax highlighting the whole thing froze and that did become annoying.

I found with zend that it was powerful but it was some what slow. Nothing really bad, just slow compared to some of the other IDEs, so, In the end I decided on PHP designer 2005. It offered everything I needed, ran quickly and with no noticable bugs.

Thats just my input

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mower
    Yes I am sure because I use it my self

link http://www.zend.com/store/products/z...o-personal.php
    Awesome thanks :: points ::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabula_rasa
    Which one... Zend or Komodo is the that will autocomplete classes?

For example:

include(DIR . 'class.php');

$class =& new class();

$class->(auto completes now)
    Zend Studio does that for you. It lists all functions/variables in the included files.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No comments on AceHTML 6? Is it worth the money for its PHP support?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IznSe7en
    Unix - Vi
    Linux(With x server) - Vi/Xemacs
    Mac(osX+) - Vi/Xemacs
    Windows - Notepad

Be a man, hard code everything. Really grinds it into you, makes you more effecient.
    How utterly sexist. Can't get away from trolls no matter where you go.

Now, to respond to the actual topic at hand:

I tried Zend and found that it ran horribly slow. Not only that, but the installer/uninstaller leaves a lot to be desired.

Built-in FTP, syntax highlighting, and CODE FOLDING are a must for me... all without being too expensive. NuSphere PHPed looks perfect for me, but there is no way I can chuck out that kind of cash. I'm considering Maguma Workbench and Komodo. Something about Komodo just strikes me as off, however, and I've never really figured out WHAT, exactly. Maybe it's the way the code exploration works...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something that amazes me a lot actually: All of us use one form of PHP editor or another, but almost everyone here uses Windows exclusively as a dev enviroment.
    If you code PHP/MySQL apps, chances are high it will run on a Linux/*BSD server anyway, why not use the tools on a small Linux partition which only runs: Desktop Manager (Gnome for instance - nice and clean), Apache, MySQL, PHP and one of the great editors (Kate, Gedit, Bluefish, etc) available for free under Linux? You could even set up a very very simple shell script in under 10 lines that whenever you run it, syncs your dev enviroment for instance with your live enviroment.
    Benefits:
    1) Run the exact same software versions as your live server (PHP, MySQL, Apache versions). Believe me, this saves time.
    2) Free
    3) Code folding, syntax highlighting, built-in FTP etc. etc. all available in most of the available editors. (Access methods to remote files only limited by what your window manager can handle, which is a lot more than you might even imagine)

Disadvantages:
    1) No playing DX9 games during your coding break (if you're into that kind of thing)
    2) A slightly different GUI than you're used to
    3) no Dreamweaver (seeing as some people swear by it)
    4) Having to take the 1 hour orso to repartition HD, install Linux, and getting used to the interface.

Call me a zealot, and I'd say I'm not. I'm no Windows hater at all, I just find a nice, clean and feature rich dev enviroment important, which is exactly what you'll get. Most linux/*bsd-based editors have far more and superior features than most 20 dollar + text editors you can buy online. I used to use UltraEdit all the time for my coding needs, but now I don't look back for a sec

Want to give the basic Gnome desktop a spin without having to install even 1byte to your HD? Just download the Ubuntu Linux Live CD, and you can experience first hand how a Linux desktop looks and feels. Think KDE is more for you? Go get the Knoppix Live CD instead then.
    Burn image, reboot from CD-Rom, and there you go.
    Veni Vidi Velcro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

using zend now

Decided to buy into the zend cashcow...

I must say I'm pretty happy with it. On the fly syntax highlighting is awesome and the code analyser tells me of the things I've left out... being a beginner, it's a helpful tool.

I don't know what you guys mean by slow... but I'm running a pc with following specs:

2.4ghz
    512mb ram

it runs rather well for me... it starts up pretty slow tho' but that goes with most java progs.

I decided to not go with freeware at this stage because the products available are lacking in many areas and are making no attempt to cover such but put on a "plugin" solution which bug out at times... Lost a project at one time when exploring libraries with a freeware package ( I won't mention it as I am as many others are - a "freeware enthusiast") you get what you paid for I suppose and with zend, you most certainly do.

zend is doing alright for me and has replaced code view Drewmweaver as my php editor.

sadly tho', I've had assign my development to two memory intensive apps.
    DW MX 2004 - Web site production.
    Zend - PHP development.

SO to answer topic, I guess what I look for is:
    syntax highlighting
    runtime error evaluation
    debugger
    doesn't "bug" out

Zend's the way to go.

I'm also looking into cvs... that's "somewhat" integrated into zend too.

'cholic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use zend studio all the time

"Will I ever find my way to GURU?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all so another tip i found is once your trial end just start up zend with your personal key, then go to the help and change the key back to the trial one, and now you have a fully functioning zend studio.....

i didn't say anything

"Will I ever find my way to GURU?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a copy of PHPEdit available from http://waterproof.fr. I really like it and, if your primary job is php development I find it better than dreamweaver, and a full commercial license is only about £65. It auto-completes block statements and syntax (brackets, quotes etc), and has good syntax highlighting. It comes up with tooltip boxes with the argument list when you type the name of the function, and a small window at the side shows you the relevant php manual page- it even gives you the argument list for your own functions, and even when they are stored in an include! When you type a $ a drop-down box comes up with all variables available to the page (even across includes). It is just generally all-round helpful, I recommend it. It's html features are more basic, it highlights properly and will put the closing tag on for you, but not as good as dreamweaver for that. It also is useful i that if te cursor is in a block of html, the php will grey out, and when its in a php block the html will gray out, enabling you to differentiate easily. It's worth a try at least, you can download a trial on the website waterproof.fr

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these things & a good deal more are there in Zend Studio.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

Obey the Purebreed trib4lmaniac's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wwb_99
    One killer feature I would love to see in a php editor:

Code completion for files not directly included. I, and probably many others, include library-type files in a global config/startup script. No editor that I have seen catches this. Of course, most of your method calls are going to the DB object which is called in this script and not avaliable for autocompletion.
    Quote Originally Posted by thoresson
    You mean if you've got a global_includes.php with a lot of requires, then those included files won't be in the code completion?

Bummer. I'm using a global_includes.php to make things easier for me. And code completion for my own functions is the main thing I'm missing in Topstyle as a php editor.
    Another thumbsup for PHPEdit. And yes you two, it does auto-complete on includes (even in-direct ones). And you get a free personal licence as well (75 euros for commercial - about 100 dollars).

And asp_funda, yeah... like what? Any features missing are probably not that huge and are not worth over twice the price. Looking at screenshots of zend they are almost the same, just more cluttered on zend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the most useful feature in Zend is the debugging.

I have the debugging server installed on my home linux server, and edit all files on my windows xp box via a samba share.

Zend lets me step line by line through my php scripts to see exactly what's going on.

Do any other editors have a debug feature?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone will argue that Zend has the best features when it comes to PHP coding alone. But the problem remains that if you are working on a full website, doing full web development, then you need to have Zend AND something like Dreamweaver open to handle the HTML/CSS.

It would just be nice if someone would combine the functionality of Zend Studio and Dreamweaver/Homesite.

If it aint Dutch it aint much Kilroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jameso
    Zend Studio does that for you. It lists all functions/variables in the included files.
    Actually, it lists all methods and properties of the $class class in that example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture of PHPEdits debug menu...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody tried Rapid PHP 2004?

Upon first glance, it seems to have everything I am looking for. Good PHP support, syntax checking, debugging, etc... and unlike Zend or PHPEdit, it has good XHTML/CSS support and FTP.

And its cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyaninZion
    Anybody tried Rapid PHP 2004?

Upon first glance, it seems to have everything I am looking for. Good PHP support, syntax checking, debugging, etc... and unlike Zend or PHPEdit, it has good XHTML/CSS support and FTP.

And its cheap.
    Hehe, that's quite nice actually - but I'll stick with PHPEdit Could be a cheaper alternative to that and Zend though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody tried Enginsite PHP editor? Your opinion?
    http://www.enginsite.com/php-editor.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been beta testing the new releases of Zend Studio for some months now and they have very good support for HTML/CSS and fully integrated FTP - more importantly for me though is you can now do all the usual database kind of stuff you'd expect from within the IDE (create tables, modify, etc) for all the formats I use (MySQL, Oracle and SQL-lite).

Zend Studio is expensive though - I'm lucky because my license doesn't expire and was free due to me being their top beta tester for the last release - but I can see how the price would put off a lot of people. If you spend all day sitting in PHP code though (like me) then it's invaluable.

Cheers,

Rich
    Richard Davey

Launchcode
    PHP Security Guide. Think your scripts are secure? Think again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried PHP Designer '05... and i actually REALLY like it. However, something that I can't seem to figure out is when I have multi-language (mostly PHP/HTML, some javascript...) it doesn't color properly. When I set it to multi, it ends up coloring the PHP incorrectly...
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    somebody in another thread recommended Eclipse and Trustudio. They are supposed to work together, and be a GREAT, FREE php IDE.
    I downloaded both to check them out, but I never was as baffled in my entire life upon opening a new app, as when I opened Eclipse and tried to figure out how to use it.
    I've gone through some "tutorials" for half an hour, but still haven't understood how to even use the tutorials! It's that strange (and frustrating).
    Anybody knows what I'm talking about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sebnewyork
    somebody in another thread recommended Eclipse and Trustudio. They are supposed to work together, and be a GREAT, FREE php IDE.
    I downloaded both to check them out, but I never was as baffled in my entire life upon opening a new app, as when I opened Eclipse and tried to figure out how to use it.
    I've gone through some "tutorials" for half an hour, but still haven't understood how to even use the tutorials! It's that strange (and frustrating).
    Anybody knows what I'm talking about?
    yes, I've been through that road too, I got it working somehow, but eh, I can't remember...

I went to the support forums and basically the attitude was

"If you can't run plugins in eclipse, then you got no business using it... eclipse is for REAL programmers and developers"

which I found discouraging heh

when I got it to run, it was pretty good tho' but since it took me so long to fgure it out, I was over sensitive to the things it lacked whcih I can't remember at this point in itme.

I think the most useful feature in Zend is the debugging.

I have the debugging server installed on my home linux server, and edit all files on my windows xp box via a samba share.

Zend lets me step line by line through my php scripts to see exactly what's going on.

Do any other editors have a debug feature?
    I like the debugging with zend also jameso. That and the code analyser, it gives me suggestions on little things I'm doing wrong.

Great software.

The new version comin out in February is awesome with the addition of the SQL component and integration of a code snippet library. I've tried it out and it's very solid...

lookin forward to the final version release.

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some of the main features you may look for are:

- Can it edit many languages besides PHP
    - Syntax highlighting (also for which languages?)
    - Macros
    - Completion engines
    - Auto completion
    - Auto correction
    - PHP Local testing