User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One killer feature I would love to see in a php editor:

Code completion for files not directly included. I, and probably many others, include library-type files in a global config/startup script. No editor that I have seen catches this. Of course, most of your method calls are going to the DB object which is called in this script and not avaliable for autocompletion.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Komodo
    code completion ( php's and my classes )
    syntax highlighting and a great debugger, you can view the values of all objects and variables as you step through each line of code.
    Don't think I could live without it.

also supports perl and python among others but I haven't used these ( yet :P )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I the only one that uses plain old notepad?

All that syntax highlighting shenanigans is just too confusing.

If it aint Dutch it aint much Kilroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AndyH, I strongly encourage you to try out an editor with syntax highlighting, line numbers and stuff like that. It just helps you so much with the coding. It's very easy to recognize specific pieces of code. I attached two screenshots of one file, you now tell me which piece of code is easier to read:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use GPHPEdit (under Linux) only because it offers to tab your various files and does syntax check (that is if you have the cli installed locally). KWrite is quite good if you're only after syntax highlighting.

Windows-wise, I like working with UltraEdit at uni but since it's a commercial software, I don't use it at home. I installed PHP Designer 2005, which would be quite neat and useful if Windows wasn't so slow.

Cheers

-Jean-Loup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    code folding is something that I've been keen to see in an editor for some time...does anyone have an editor that employs this function I could take a look at?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does any of these come with a good FTP funtion??
    Like 'upload on save' or something,
    for those who does't work on localhost, but directly to a internet host.

I use webNotepad (just upgraded from MS Notepad) , and it works ok. Has this FTP feature.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thx Jean-Loup for the GPHPEdit tip, I hadn't seen that one around yet - it's not yet listed in php-editors.com.
    For those of you who don't like syntax-highlighting, try changing the colors to somewhat darker or neutral colors. Differences will be subtler but things will read more consistently. Most editors will allow you to do this.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Notepad++ and don't feel the need to change, though if someone could point out an editor that is as useful but has:

1. MySQL in addition to SQL2 syntax highlighting.
    2. PHP code completion (not sure if I'd like it though).

Since it's open source I could just add the MySQL highlighting myself... as soon as I have time. I generally find code completion annoying except when coding in C# using VS.NET.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep to two editors since I have different types of coding needs -
    Quanta Plus is an extremely feature-rich PHP IDE that supports webprojects (downloading / uploading / synching via ftp), lots of different types of code completion (also completes from included files - wwb99, I've never noticed if it gets indirectly included files), php manual references, debugging, highlighting for many different sorts of source code, bracket matching and code folding, HTML syntax checking, a (still rather rudimentary) wysiwyg editor, CVS, and I'm not sure what more - the problem is, with all these features, it gets a bit slow sometimes if you have lots of files open as part of a really big project. The version I have still doesn't allow for these features to be turned off for faster typing.

For the larger projects, I just use Kate, which does a lot, but not all, of the above, and is much faster, and the editor keeps up with my typing speed. Both of these get really high marks at php-editors.com, but they're both linux products. Most people here code on windows? I used to code on windows with HTML-Kit, but the version I had didn't support bracket matching, and it was ultimately the really easy desktop-switching that kept me on Linux. Having a number of desktops open and accessible with a mousewheel scroll has been essential for my coding to keep up with what my brain is doing - one desktop with the editor, one desktop with the browser test, another with a browser open to the php manual or whatever other info I need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minck you're welcome. I have to admit, it's not the best PHP editor in the world (it doesn't have built-in ftp for instance) but it's faster than Quanta Plus (I really wish it wasn't that slow).

http://www.gphpedit.org/ for more info

-Jean-Loup

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, syntax coloring is a MUST. All I need is one quick glance to see a syntax error. Line numbering is also essential, as is bracket matching. I'm on OS X and one of my pet peeves is when the application merely flashes the matching brace. If I've coded a particularly long if-else statement, long enough such that the matching brace has actually scrolled off the screen, simply flashing it won't be much good.

I didn't read anyone mentioning a tabbed interface. I don't work with only one PHP file at a time, I work with a few. Being on OS X, trying to find an editor with a tabbed interface isn't easy. Expose` is fun but a tabbed interface is much cleaner.

Subetha Edit has an interesting function that I have yet to see in other editors for OS X: a function list. A drop down box will keep track of the function you write for quick reference. Very useful.

Currently using Smultron which is essentially an over-glorified text-editor. It suffices for the time being: has a tabbed interface, syntax colouring, bracket matching (but it flashes the matching bracket) and line numbering (which sometimes disappers when the code gets too long) but I'm still on the look out for a good editor...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Minck nicely pointed out, Kate does almost everything I want besides auto-completing functions as you type. But then again, that's by far not a must for me. Kate does syntax highlighting for almost any kind of code, even the more obscure ones like doom .wad files if you want And if you have Kate installed, you'll most likely also have KDE installed, at least enough of the libs that Kate can run, in which case you also get all the built in file access features, which, among other things, include: disk/FTP/SSH/SFTP/FISH (filesystem over SSH)/etc, which is more than most apps I see on the windows side.
    Kate does code folding, bracket matching, line numbers, fully customizable syntax highlighting (works great by default allready), has a tabbed interface, dockable/undockable windows, multifile search and replace (also regular expression based), etc etc.
    And for our Mac OSX friends, a friend of mine got Kate running under OSX ...
    Only drawback for some people would be to have to leave their trusted Windows enviroment and try out one of those free crappy OS's like Linux
    (Get Knoppix or the Ubuntu Live CD's, and try it out today, without even having to change your current installs)

Then again, if I would need to recommend an editor for use under Windows, it would be UltraEdit. Cheap and easy, lacking of some features Kate has, but then again, can't expect it all can you

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with the Kate project, I just think it's one of the best text-based editors out there.
    Veni Vidi Velcro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use xHTML kit by chiami software.

Comes with built-in ftp support and php syntax highlighting

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

also supports tons of additional plugins.

highly recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For OS X users, I highly recommend skEdit. Code hinting/completion, syntax highlighting, line-numbering, site-wide aware. For a measly $20 it easily beats the overweight, overpriced app that BBEdit has become. And no, I'm not the developer
    Last edited by mudshark; Nov 9, 2004 at 09:19. Reason: typo!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ryushe, you might want to be careful about upgrading Kate - the newest version lost the tabs and has a sidebar icon that you click on to get the list of open files. Not nearly as fast as the tabbed interface, and it feels weird. Maybe the next version will go back to tabs - people (including myself) have done some polite bi'ing and moaning about this. I really miss those tabs. Still use kate as main editor, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minck, I did upgrade, and with regard to the side window, you can keep it pinned open, something it will remember over sessions. Besides that, I usually switch between different files using the shortcut keys anyway
    But I agree, getting the tabs back to their full glory would be good ...
    Veni Vidi Velcro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unix - Vi
    Linux(With x server) - Vi/Xemacs
    Mac(osX+) - Vi/Xemacs
    Windows - Notepad

Be a man, hard code everything. Really grinds it into you, makes you more effecient.
    ><

If it aint Dutch it aint much Kilroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IznSe7en
    Unix - Vi
    Linux(With x server) - Vi/Xemacs
    Mac(osX+) - Vi/Xemacs
    Windows - Notepad

Be a man, hard code everything. Really grinds it into you, makes you more effecient.
    Stupid remark. For Windows, an editor with syntax highlighting, code hints, debugging features etc. speeds up the coding process a lot and makes the code cleaner, which generally reduces costs for clients.

Afraid I can't do that Dave Hal9k's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylannn
    Vi o.O
    How did I know someone was going to say that before even clicking the thread?

Actually, it rocks for a quick change to code here and there.

I use Kate, can't beat the syntax highlighting. However, it does have a problem with user defined function and class names etc. they just turn into a glaring green and black mess. If you want portability, also look out for an /n to /n/r converter and vice versa, and any other strange combinations of the pairs. I have been caught out too many times with totally unreadable code under Win. I'm sure there's some nifty way of changing it, but it's nice to have it in a text-ed as you need it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crimson Editor (http://crimsoneditor.com)

The best I've tried so far; I'll have to try
    PHP Designer 05, or the trial of Zend Studio.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Editplus is as simple and easy to use as it gets.

I hate bells and whistles, and Editplus has very little.

It has syntax highlighting, line numbers, and view in browser. There are a few other basic additions, but generally it is small (1.4 MB).

I hand-code everything, which gives me clean code and ultimate control.

If you are a minimalist, Editplus is for you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for EditPlus here

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use UltraEdit almost exclusively.... Sometimes, I will use OptiPerl for PERL (the best editor I have seen in my life.... In fact, it has persuaded me to do some projects in perl instead of php because of how great it is).... And, I have tried and love Komodo because it is *almost* an OptiPerl for PHP.... I do not use it that much though because I am so used to clicking on the ultraedit icon, haha.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use only a coding tool like Zend, doesn't it take longer to build the gui just the way you want it? I use Dreamweaver but am looking for a tool with the capabilities of Zend but can do, or at least understand, WYSIWYG design.

ANy thoughts?
    signature