User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to look for in a php editor?

One of the most frequently asked questions here is "Which is the best php editor?". The answers are many: PHP Edit, Maguna, Zend, UltraEdit, EditPlus, Eclipse with either PHPeclipse or Xored to mention a few.

I'm using Topstyle for all my coding right now. When I began learning PHP/CSS/HTML two years ago, Topstyle was the editor that best suited my needs. For one thing, I wanted an editor that didn't helped me to much since I was afraid that it would slow my learning process down by making decisions and suggestions I just accepted without knowing why.

I'm still satisfied with Topstyle, but as my skills has improved, I start to realize that there are probably faster ways doing what I'm doing. So, I'm about to try some of the recommendations. But, what should I look for? What features is it that makes a good IDE a good IDE?
    //Anders

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you weren't looking for an IDE I'd recommend UltraEdit, but you might not be looking for a general-purpose editor.

I personally love Komodo, especially if you're a Perl/PHP/Python developer, it has correct syntax highlighting, auto-completion, a great toolbox, and a lot of tiny little features that you won't notice until you use Komodo for a while. I've tried Maguma, PHPEd and Zend, but they just don't cut it.

Oh, and I don't work for ActiveState
    I blog here here, and I'm happy to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, with time, you'll get more proficient with hand coding pretty much everything, so make sure you have syntax highlighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astericks
    IMO, with time, you'll get more proficient with hand coding pretty much everything, so make sure you have syntax highlighting.
    I'm not after any kind of automation, but it would be nice if code completition for instance covered not just only PHP's internal functions, but my own functions and classes as well.

I intend to continue hand code, but want to do it as efficently(sp?) as possible.
    //Anders

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astericks
    I use EditPlus. THe only feature I couldn't do without is syntax highlighting. Well, I guess I could do without that feature too, but it would really really suck.

--ed

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried quite a many Editors & DreamweaverMX 2004 has been my favourite for coding ASP, PHP & JSP as it has auto completion of functions. But ever since I started using Zend Studio at work, I've stopped using anything else for PHP. Besides auto-completion of functions, it does auto-completion of variables(both system & user-defined), has debugging features, syntax hiliting, & instantly shows a red mark meaning a syntax error if you code wrong. And its cheaper than DreamweaverMX 2004. So if you just want to do PHP, then Zend is better but if you want an all in one solution, with ASP, JSP, PHP, ASP.NET, CSS, HTML, XML support besides WYSIWYG editor, then go for DreamweaverMX 2004. If you can afford, get both, they are in-dispensable.
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

If it aint Dutch it aint much Kilroy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.mpsoftware.dk -> their PHP Designer 2005 is awesome and getting better. Try it out if you are in need of one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy
    www.mpsoftware.dk -> their PHP Designer 2005 is awesome and getting better. Try it out if you are in need of one
    One word: Nice!

I didnt even know this existed. The "todo" function should help a lot of objective and commercial coders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vi o.O

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im using notepad++ atm ... id like an editor as powerfull with auto completion but meh... give it a spin and see if you like it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want auto completion feature but can't pay for something like Zend or DreamweaverMX 2004, then PHPDesigner 2005 is better for you.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things which has helped me the most in editing is the feature of bracket-parentheses-braces matching. That means, when you put your cursor on a bracket, parentheses, or brace, if there's a corresponding open or closing one, it gets highlighted. While you're typing, you can see your parentheses and such getting closed properly. Some editors will also give you 'code folding' so you can fold up big parts of your code and only see the lines that are necessary.

If you don't have this feature, be sure to get an editor that does - since brace matching is one of the most difficult kind of errors to debug. I'm not much of a windows man, and don't know which of the windows editors do this - one which does is Jedit. This is nice too since when you switch to linux, you'll have the same look 'n feel in your editor. I usually just use Quanta Plus or Kate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both brace matching and code folding sounds really nice. Topstyle does brace matching, but not code folding. That will most definately be a feature I should look for!
    //Anders

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minck
    I'm not much of a windows man, and don't know which of the windows editors do this
    Both Zend Studio & PHP Designer 2005 do parenthesis & bracket matching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i'm useing NuSphere PHPEd. It has all i need.
    you can try it

The Restaurant at The End of The Universe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Editplus does parenthesis & bracket matching also. I try others but always end up back with editplus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried out Zend Studio for a couple of hours now and I must say it's really nice. Pity it costs so much, though! I just find it is more advanced than PHP Designer 2005. The analyze code option is very cool, as well!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I just tried out Zend Studio for a couple of hours now and I must say it's really nice. Pity it costs so much, though!
    Thank Goodness you didn't try DreamweaverMX 2004 or you'd have killed me for suggesting that. In comparison to Zend, you wouldn't like DreamweaverMX 2004 as a PHP editor since all it does is auto-complete but costs almost twice as Zend Studio. It doesn't have brace matching nor it does any analysing of your PHP code, though it does have some debugging features, but I haven't used them yet so I don't know about them.

I just find it is more advanced than PHP Designer 2005. The analyze code option is very cool, as well!
    Well, you get what you pay for. For something free, PHP Designer 2005 isn't bad. If it were better than Zend & still remained free, then Zend wouldn't have sold half of what they sell now. They know about the competition they have with free software & thus they try to make their cake more sweet & creamy so as to attract the bees(users).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asp_funda
    Thank Goodness you didn't try DreamweaverMX 2004 or you'd have killed me for suggesting that. In comparison to Zend, you wouldn't like DreamweaverMX 2004 as a PHP editor since all it does is auto-complete but costs almost twice as Zend Studio. It doesn't have brace matching nor it does any analysing of your PHP code, though it does have some debugging features, but I haven't used them yet so I don't know about them.
    I already tried Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I used it for the full trial. However, when I found out about XHTML and CSS I stopped using Dreamweaver for that and the PHP I found PHP Designer 2005 for. It's good, but Zend Studio is better.
    Well, you get what you pay for. For something free, PHP Designer 2005 isn't bad. If it were better than Zend & still remained free, then Zend wouldn't have sold half of what they sell now. They know about the competition they have with free software & thus they try to make their cake more sweet & creamy so as to attract the bees(users).
    Yeah, thing is, my I'm doing an assignment for school (building a CMS) so they might be able to get a license for me Zend really has a lot of advanced features and I love it's code tips, code analyzing and stuff like that. Built-in CVS and FTP support is cool as well

Conclusion: I like both editors, but if you have the money, get Zend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already tried Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I used it for the full trial. However, when I found out about XHTML and CSS I stopped using Dreamweaver for that
    Why? DreamweaverMX 2004 has excellent xHTML & CSS support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why? DreamweaverMX 2004 has excellent xHTML & CSS support.
    True, but I find typing it myself easier. It produces cleaner, more useable/accessible and more efficient code.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks asp_funda and Jump. Looks like next time I do a round of testing of php editors in windows I'm going to have some fun products to test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend jEdit- it's a free (GPL) text editor, all written in java, has syntax higlighting, code indenting, bracket matching and a ton of different plugins for all your needs.
    Leszek Leszczyński
    www.hazelsoft.com
    --- Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write,
    it should be hard to understand. ---

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i prefer quanta plus, specifically for the brace matching and the code folding, plus it is really easy to use...i made the leap from dreamweaver mx to quanta plus when i switched my os from windows xp to mandrake and the change wasn't that difficult at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any recommendations for Mac software. Currently I am using BBEdit. It has text-highlighting but it doesn't have auto-complete.