SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will google think I'm cheating the system?

The way my articles work (and other sections on my site) is that it's like any typical php file with query strings such as ?article= BUT to be google friendly I also added support for valid urls.

So
    http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/virtualhosting/1 this is valid
    http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php?...alhosting&p=1& is valid too.

To make things worse, this is also valid:
    http://www.iceteks.com/articles/pars...virtualhosting

So each article has 3 possible links to get through, and google knows all of them. This is due to me changing the method too many times. For the parser.php one I have a 301 redirect to make it more legit, but for the long query string one it's not really possible to do a redirect because 1)It's the same file and 2) it uses the same variables. (the first part after / is filled in the $_GET[article] variable and so on)

So I'm just wondering, will google think I'm trying to cheat by cloacking? Or will they know it's a url change, or simply not notice? Eventually I want to pull out the parser.php file but now I can't since the other links are not indexed yet.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy someonewhois's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, in PHP I think you can detect whether or not you're using the SE-friendly version, if you aren't, redirect to it.. 301's your safest bet, otherwise Google might be unsure.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah well one think I can do is check if there's a / after .php and if there is not, then I just put the redirect header.

Or what about 404, would that work too? Since eventually I want google to get rid of those links anyway so I can stick with only the new ones, to keep things simpler.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see why they'd ban you for such a thing. The worst that would happen, IMO, is they'd only index one of those variable.
    Peter T Davis

I buy forums - PM me if you're selling.

Application Developer shabbirbhimani's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google will never ban for duplicate content but will just have one of the two.

If google bans such site I would copy the html of my competitors site and put a new domain with 100 pages of same html and by this way can ban any of my competitors.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok thanks for the reasurance. It's just temporarly anyway since the old ones won't be linked to from anywhere no more.

3MTA3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, Google will probably keep the different versions in the index at first, but then slowly start dropping the old versions as the links that point to those pages drop. It has never caused me any problems before.