SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I signed with Everyone.net a while ago so I could offer free email to my visitors. I didn't really expect people to sign up, but now it seems to be growing rapidly.

I was getting alot of new users through Findwhat and Kanoodle, but I disabled my listings until I can figure out if this could become profitable.

I remember reading about a Sitepoint member who has a fairly popular sevice (Soldiermail), but I would like to know if anyone else is making money with their FREE EMAIL services.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was making money until the ad market died. With over 13,000 users and running it myself (not outsourcing) I was pulling $400 a month and now it's down to $50 a month which no longer covers server costs.

This is why I'm moving to offering a premium service too that has no ads,bigger accounts, pop3 and more. We'll see if that works out.
    Guava

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you promote yiour service and encourage people to sign up?

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used GoTo and a pay-per-lead (signup) program with ClickXChange. The pay-per-signup program cost me more money than it earned in ad revenue. I recommend buying listings in the PPC search engines.
    Guava

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it seems that two out of three people who visit my email page are signing up through my listing at findwhat.com. Currently this has been my most successful ad campaign compared to my message forum that recieved hundreds of visitors but only a handful of users.

Right now I am trying to determine if I should continue promoting my web site despite the ad revenue crisis. I don't want to give up on my site, but I don't want to throw money at it with nothing in return -> except personal satisfaction, but satisfaction will not help me purchase a new DV Camcorder

I guess I'm asking.... "Is there any point in trying to develop my site so it would become profitable?" or "Are the only people who will make money are the ones with already established web sites?"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same thoughts when the ad market died. However, I do believe that it will turn around.

Things became so saturated that everyone was signing up to make a quick buck. Things had to bottom out to weed things out, and only the ones that are serious about their sites and are in it for the long haul will survive.

I think it was a learning experience that needed to happen.

There are many ways to continue to make money on the Internet. Many sites have changed to a fee-based model...however you have to have worth-while content for that.

I know of some sites that have had excellent success with the Amazon Honor System. Have you tried that?
    Moderator:GeekTalk ::: EBookFriends
    Web Hosting:Multiple Domain Hosting ::: Specials ::: Plans

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is free e-mail going to be a viable business model in the future?

what other ways of monetizing users do you have other than banner advertising...maybe direct e-mail marketing? anyone tried it?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by faisalp
    what other ways of monetizing users do you have other than banner advertising...maybe direct e-mail marketing? anyone tried it?
    What exactly do you mean? Selling email addresses? Newsletters?

I know people argue that the thousands of email providers currently available can not compete with Yahoo and Hotmail, but I know many people prefer to have something other than a generic email account.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sure, people prefer it....but are banners the only way to make money from it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you could get them to agree to recieve commercial messages from time to time on certain topics, and you could sell the signature space that is sent on outgoing emails, to advertisers.

Free Email is a largely advertising based service, advertising is really the best way to make cash from it. The only other reason it might be used would be to help spread word about other sites you own.
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.