SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Printing problem: css-, browser-, resolution-issue or what?

Have worked on a bravenet.com html/css script set for days. Initially the problem appeared to be that the right edge got cut off. By decreasing the wrapper, horizontal link sizes, as well as reducing/removing some of the padding, it looks as if that problem is solved, at least on my machine. However, on other machines the right edge is still cut off. Further, even when the right edge is not cut off, the horizontal link bar is not flush right.

Does this have to do with different browsers and/or screen resolutions (I use IE 6 and 1280X11024). If so, can it be resolved with tweaking the html and css (linked below)?

Additionally, the item "cool links" at the top of the sidebar appears on the printout but not on-screen.

Here's a handcoding novice requesting help from you out there, in order that I can get this site up and running.

URL: http://www.cbnrm.net/webhosting/tft/index.html
    CSS: http://www.cbnrm.net/webhosting/tft/styles/tft_02.css
    Regards, Lars

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lars,

I can answer one of your questions...The color of the subtitle class is white. White text on a white background....the text is there you just don't have enough contrast to see it.

Are you using a second style sheet for print? It would be helpful to see it if you are.

R

Mike Hatch

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhatch
    Lars,

I can answer one of your questions...The color of the subtitle class is white. White text on a white background....the text is there you just don't have enough contrast to see it.

Are you using a second style sheet for print? It would be helpful to see it if you are.

R

Mike Hatch
    Mike,

Of course, sometimes the answer is so close you don't see it. In this case I imported the subtitle class from another script that used a dark sidebar background. Can you suggest how I give it a dark color, and where (in the style sheet or in the html)?

As for a second stylesheet for printing: I have only one stylesheet. Would there be advantages to using a separate stylesheet for printing and how does one set that up?

regards, Lars
    Regards, Lars

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhatch
    Lars,

R

Mike Hatch
    I've addressed that issue, and uploaded the revised file.
    Regards, Lars

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lars,

Alistapart has a good article on print style sheets here http://www.alistapart.com/articles/goingtoprint/

The basic concept is that you have a second style sheet with the media type set to print and the newer browsers will use that to print your page. In that you set the styles for your page to reformat your page for printing, such as supressing images, changing page width and padding etc. That way your screen presentation and your print presentation are able to be very different using only one html page.

Mike