SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overture vs AdWords

Anyone have experience with either/both. We currently use Overture and have had ok results, looking at doing AdWords as well. Any advice?

SitePoint Evangelist luxinterior's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had bad experiences with Adwords and am close to dropping them. Their system is way too sensitive and tends to 'slow down' your ads when it feels like it and eventually stops them. This happens 3 times and you have to pay $5 to restart them. I got very poor click through on all my ads and I can't believe it's just because I can't write good copy (which I don't think is the case). Some of my ads even appeared in the top 5 postions and still poor CTR.

I'm just about to give Overture a go. I was particularly attracted by their $25 free promotion they're offering. I'll give it a go for a couple of months and see what happens. I'm glad to heard you've had some success with them though. It bodes well.

Lux

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are targetting the right keywords Adwords should work fine. I had this problem with the first campaign I ran, but after adding a few negative keywords and making some adjustments everything worked out fine.

The cut off rate is something like .5% or .1% I think? If google let ads that only got 1 click per 100,000 views to run, it would only hurt other advertisers and Adsense members.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have worked with both on multiple clients. It all depends on your market, the competition and your budget. Certain keywords may be cheaper to advertise with Google while others may be cheaper with Overture. Like Cutter said, it's important to target your keywords to get the best results. If it's a general term, you won't get a very good CTR because it's not relevant. Add negative keywords if you know there are similar terms to yours. Also do some research as to which words are being searched for and which have the lowest CPC. One of my clients bids on both and the cost varies greatly on some keywords. There are a couple that have a $1.00+ difference in CPC! If you find the right keywords though, you can get some good traffic for a low amount.

As for Lux's "starting and stopping" comment, sometimes that is actually Google's way of spreading out the ads so you get an even distribution throughout the day based on your Max CPC and your budget. If they recommend a $50 a day budget and you set $25, that means that about half the time your ad could show, they don't show it because it would result in more clicks and your budget would be reached too soon. You want to ensure that your ads can show 100%, otherwise you're missing potential traffic.

Like I said at the beginning, it does depend on the market you are in. If you are a web designer or web host and want to advertise on Google, you're going to spend a lot to be toward the top, which won't be feasible. However, if you have a more niche product or service, you'll be able to stretch your budget further. Plus, as I tell all my clients, if you are going to do Overture and reach those people, wouldn't you want to reach the others that may be using Google (a large market)? It's at least worth a trial period of a couple months I would say.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the insight, I think we'll give em a try. Overture has been good so far although they can take a while to approve listings if you don't pay the extra fee for them to make the listing for you.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While both work excellent, AdWords results in far more sales for the same money for me. Not exactly sure why, since I advertise on search and content sites through Google, but the traffic is always very high quality. As for the slowing of ads... had that problem when I first started as well, if you can eliminate your problem keywords or add negative matches and work around it, you'll be happy with them.

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both have their quirks. AS far as quality of traffic, I think Adwords has an edge over Overture.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had nothing but good experience with Adwords. My main campaign has a click-thru of 2.1% and 22.41% convertion rate. I'm satisfied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read some research recently, can't remember where. I think they found that men prefer overture and women adwords
    ...KartLink...

Intoxicated with the madness petertdavis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by superbird
    I read some research recently, can't remember where. I think they found that men prefer overture and women adwords
    LoL, I'd like to read that article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I use both for long time. What I can say I'm not satisfied with Overture but I've not paid too much attention to it. Now I've made a serious campaign there, let's see what happens. But they show poor results so far.

As for Adwords, it worked well a few months ago, but recently I get nothing. It just sucks up my money, that's it. I advertise my web design company, maybe the problem is I compete with millions. So, whoever clicks on my ad, usually clicks on another 20. Even with highest CTR, it works bad. I've optimized campaigns, used many negative keywords, even set several different campaigns with different strategies... nothing.

And disabling keywords - that's bad. Sometimes they just disable some keyword for no reason. At least no "reasonable" reason. I compare them to other keywords - keyword A has same CTR as keyword B, same position, everything seems the same, however, keyword B is disabled, keyword A shows as "strong" (which is far from being disabled). Maybe the competition for keyword B has been fierce and I must keep a CTR of 5%? I don't know...

Well, Google seems the only reasonable way to advertise, that's why I still bet on them. But I'm close to quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Overture offer the possibility to target specific countries or languages as Adwords does? On the other hand, in they're sign up page, only some countries are listed. If my country is not there I can't use the service? Moreover, they state you have to spend a minimum of 20 bucks per month. What if one decides to pause the campaign for some days and thus not achievieng the quota?

Seems to me Adwords is a lot more flexible and powerfull.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by metavisia
    I advertise my web design company, maybe the problem is I compete with millions.
    Yes, the topic that you are bidding on makes a big difference. There are so many web design companies out there that the bidding on those terms are going to be way too high to be reasonable. Also, I believe the most common reason people search for web designers online is to price shop. The clicks you get are either from people wanting to see how much you may charge for a site (which most design companies don't put on their site) so will just leave when they don't find it. Other times it is from students/freelancers/competitors who are browsing around to see what is out there and that they can learn from you. My guess is even if it only cost $.05 per click for web design, you would probably get about 5,000 clicks before you got a signed client. Optimizing keywords is important, but choosing effective keywords that can feasibly produce a good ROI is the most important.
    Kevin Hauge : Modern Leaf Design : Follow Us on Facebook
    Client Axis v.08 - client / project management script

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alpeb
    What if one decides to pause the campaign for some days and thus not achievieng the quota?
    If you don't spend at least $20 using their service per month, they will charge you for it. If you received $13 in clicks on your listing during the month, they would charge you $7 additional since you didn't meet the $20 minimum.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we struggle with overture on a daily basis. we are planning on switching over to adwords

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would stick with Adwords.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OfferCentric, you really have nothing to lose by trying Adwords. You should see equal (if not a little better) results from Adwords - and the traffic may be a little cheaper, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luxinterior
    I've had bad experiences with Adwords and am close to dropping them. Their system is way too sensitive and tends to 'slow down' your ads when it feels like it and eventually stops them. This happens 3 times and you have to pay $5 to restart them.
    Where did you see that you have to pay $5 to restart an adwords campaign? I have never noticed it before and I've stopped and started campaigns several times.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anat
    Where did you see that you have to pay $5 to restart an adwords campaign? I have never noticed it before and I've stopped and started campaigns several times.
    If a campaign becomes slowed several times because it didn't meet minimum CTR repeatedly, and finally becomes deactivated, they charge $5 to reactivate it. I don't know if that's still the case with the new way keyword/campaign status works.