Thread: Preloader

SitePoint Enthusiast johnmanoahs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Preloader

Hi all,
    I've created a full website package, containing almost 25 html files with more than 15 images and some flash files. After I hosted it, I found that everytime i opened a page, the image loads slowly. How can I preload the whole package once my webpage gets loaded the first time. How can I set a loader bar tat specifies the loaded content.

Can anyone help me with the code or reply back with the site containing a preloader for an entire package?

Thanks in advance,
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know you can't build a preloader for a HTML site. You can build one for the Flash content. If you do a search for flash preloaders you'll find loads of stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know you can't build a preloader for a HTML site. You can build one for the Flash content. If you do a search for flash preloaders you'll find loads of stuff.
    I think you can, although i wouldnt know how, but i have seen it on some sights.

a possibility would be to use css to define a background image for your picture which could show an animated .gif of a loading bar.

Not really sure how it would work, nor if the background would actually load first! but its probibly worth a try...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you could put an animated image that says loading in the background of individual elements like large images etc. But I don't think there is a way of finding out how much of a particular element is loaded (which would obviously be what you have to do to display a progress bar). I suppose that if you could, in theory you would be able to check the progress of all elements and therefore display a progress bar for the whole site (But I don't think you can).

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can do this through javascript. I used to have the code for this but don't seem to anymore. Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can force the preloading of images by simply placing them in a hidden div. They then become available from the browser cache. HTML pages are a different problem and you probably don't stand to gain much from preloading them anyway. Since straight HTML pages tend to be small and because loading one will generally create a HTTP request to see if the content is expired, even if the page is in cache you won't gain much.

SitePoint Enthusiast johnmanoahs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reg Preloader

Hi all,
    Thanxx for your responses...i found a link where a Javascript preloader can be created.

http://www.soft32.com/download-JavaS...r-14242-5.html

This concept works well, except that it doesn't display an animated progressive 'loading' bar.

I have another question: Can i use a flash loader bar for my HTML site ???

- John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also remeber seeing a class on phpclasses (http://www.phpclasses.org) called laoding bar (or something like that) which i guess would do the same thing...

havent tried it out thought...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is the url: http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1964.html

and a description:
    This class is meant to display the progress of a server side task by the means of bar that is displayed and updated in an HTML page.

This class is a fork based on ProgressBar class written originally by Mika Turin.

This version of the class features:

- Rewritten the JavaScript and DHTML code to generate valid HTML 4.01 strict code that works with any browser now
    - Added the setDirection() function to move the progress bar in all directions
    - Added the hideBar() and unhideBar() functions to hide or unhide the progress bar
    - Added the $show_percent and $brd_width style variables

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does knowing when a server side task is accomplished tell you the progress of something loading in the client's browser?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been my experience that those JS preloaders can be a tad picky and not too fun to set up. I had to use one for a project and I'm very happy I don't have to do that again.

Good luck!
    www.somerandomdude.net (that's me)

Current project: http://www.cyark.org