SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: CSS3 support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CSS3 support

Since I work with web-design everyday, I decided to make a slide presentation with XHTML and CSS; not because I have nothing better to do with my life, but because I have a lecture to present . The problem is, the computer that I'll use to project my slides doesn't have any kind of anti-alias so the text looks really bad.

I've read on the CSS3 specification about the attribute font-smooth but I couldn't find a browser that supports it (tested only on Firefox 1.0PR and IE6) so I got curious. Where can I find information about CSS Level 3 browser support?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Code***** is way ahead of the game

http://www.macedition.com/cb/resourc...selectors.html

Edit:

Stupid word filter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Edit:

Stupid word filter!

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While that page is year out of date, it's still the best one I'm aware of.

One thing to note: mozilla project people have stated (in suitably arcane technical forums, rather than in press releases) that, in general, they won't seriously look at implementing any feature until the corresponding W3C spec reaches "candidate recommendation" status. This seems perfectly reasonable - they don't want to implement stuff and then have the spec changed out from under them. I suspect that other browser makers have a similar attitude.

Looking at the CSS Work in Progress page, that currently means that only the Selectors, Color, Text, Ruby, Paged, UI and Media modules of CSS3 are in with much of a chance, as far as Gecko (the Mozilla rendering engine) is concerned. As the macedition chart linked above shows, the selector support is coming along nicely (and I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a couple more since that was last updated)

I know that recent versions of Gecko also support the "opacity" property from the color module, but I don't think there's much else to report.

If you're prepared to do your own testing, Opera has historically been strong on the CSS front (they're the only browser I can think of that even makes a decent attempt at CSS2 counters, for example) so that's probably worth a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the answers, things are the way I thought they were. I'll do some testing on Opera an see how good it is.

As for the slide presentation, I'm thinking of using Inman Flash Replacement on the hole text. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by kemp; Nov 3, 2004 at 15:40. Reason: typo, link doesn't work!

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blufive
    While that page is year out of date, it's still the best one I'm aware of.

One thing to note: mozilla project people have stated (in suitably arcane technical forums, rather than in press releases) that, in general, they won't seriously look at implementing any feature until the corresponding W3C spec reaches "candidate recommendation" status. This seems perfectly reasonable - they don't want to implement stuff and then have the spec changed out from under them. I suspect that other browser makers have a similar attitude.

Looking at the CSS Work in Progress page, that currently means that only the Selectors, Color, Text, Ruby, Paged, UI and Media modules of CSS3 are in with much of a chance, as far as Gecko (the Mozilla rendering engine) is concerned. As the macedition chart linked above shows, the selector support is coming along nicely (and I wouldn't be surprised if they've done a couple more since that was last updated)

I know that recent versions of Gecko also support the "opacity" property from the color module, but I don't think there's much else to report.

If you're prepared to do your own testing, Opera has historically been strong on the CSS front (they're the only browser I can think of that even makes a decent attempt at CSS2 counters, for example) so that's probably worth a look.

I wish I could have to to offfer then this but I do believe Mozilla has recently implemented some CSS3 support into version 1.8 of Gecko. I had a source for this but cannot find it for the life of me. If I do I will post it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could have to to offfer then this but I do believe Mozilla has recently implemented some CSS3 support into version 1.8 of Gecko. I had a source for this but cannot find it for the life of me. If I do I will post it.
    I didn't say they had no support, just that they won't be rushing to implement support for those bits of CSS3 that are still going through the drafting process.

Some parts of CSS3 have reached CR status, and, as I mentioned above, moz has varying degrees of support for those - notably CSS3 selectors and "opacity".

Dammit, you've got me curious now.

Yes, the Moz 1.8 alpha 4 release notes mention:

• "overflow-x" and "overflow-y" properties (presumably these get a pass on the "not until CR" rule due to IE's support for them as proprietary extensions)
    • CSS3 cursors
    So that's a couple more. These almost certainly WILL NOT be in Firefox 1.0, which is (mostly) based on the Moz 1.7.x branch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and veering back to the original post: Kemp, if you're doing this because you need to do a presentation (as opposed to as a learning exercise) you may want to look at Eric Meyer's S5. I've no idea if it's what you want, but EM usually seems fairly clueful.