SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help: Weird CSS font-size bug in Mozilla

I'm noticing some weird bug in Mozilla (Firefox) I'm not familiar with. Certain pages are loading in with wrong font-size. When these pages load, all font-sizes are bumped up to a larger size. Here's the strange part... It only happens in Mozilla-based browsers and it only happens on pages that are slow to load. Furthermore, if I clicked out of the page and return to it, the font-size is set to normal size as defined in the CSS.

Has anyone come across similar problem? Do you have any suggestions as to how to combat this bug?

FYI, I'm using external stylesheet with all font-size's defined in relative units (em's and %'s).

Thanks in advance,
    sox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Press ctrl+ zero (the number). It will return your font sizes to normal. If that doesn't change anything then report back

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks but...

I was wondering how to avoid this bug in the first place. Specifically I was wondering if this is a known bug among the developers and if so if there's a way to address this problem via CSS.

sox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soxiam
    I was wondering how to avoid this bug in the first place. Specifically I was wondering if this is a known bug among the developers and if so if there's a way to address this problem via CSS.

sox
    If your browser font size is off, then that's a user issue and you can't do anything with it via CSS. If it's not a browser problem (if ctrl+ zero does nothing) then it's something with your CSS. However, I've usually seen font size bugs go the other way (bigger in IE, smaller in other browsers) so that's why I'm wondering whether it's an issue with your CSS or if it's something you may have inadvertantly done.

High fives all round! bradley317's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be a big problem if you set your css to inherit badly.

You know, body 80% + paragraph 80% = 80% of 80%

If you have it like this then slight changes in text size settings make a big impact.
    Hello, hello, what's all this shouting?
    We'll have no trouble here

(Helping a pal... http://www.funkdub.info)

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy blufive's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only happens in Mozilla-based browsers and it only happens on pages that are slow to load
    That "slow to load" bit sounds a little odd. Wild guess: the network is disrupted bad enough that moz isn't receiving the style sheet at all, and you're seeing the text totally unstyled.

Any chance we can see the page?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more details about the problem..

First, I want to clarify that the problem I was describing is not a user-side problem, but a development problem. The page causing the problem is a page I've coded myself. The bug I was describing is not a global phenomenon. As I described earlier, it only happens on certain pages that are all calling same exact external stylesheet.

bradley317 -- I will look into the cascading issue more closely although I don't think that's causing the problem (since it only happens to certain pages in Mozilla and the pages in question validates without error.)

blufive -- I too am suspicious of this conenction between loading speed and the bug. The pages I'm testing are hitting the database pretty heavily and in doing so perhaps the CSS does not load in full.

Thanks,
    sox