SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of a cost-effective solution that a web artist/ designer could offer his clients to allow site visitors to choose which language he prefers to view the site in? The results should, of course, always have the same graphics and layout no matter which language is chosen.

Do the translated pages have to be resident on the server or is there any software or solution that allows translation "on demand". The "on-demand" translation option is really what is preferred. My budget would not be too high as I am a small, new venture and my clients are mostly small businesses or small inns/hotels who request this capability. I would like incorporate the cost into my own web design packages. I found some sites such as the altavista translator but no off -the-shelf independent packages.

Don't get too close, I bite! Nicky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Babelfish translator immediately comes to mind. However, from my experience of tranlators they are quite unreliable and not very accurate at all.

I will move this thread to the Resources Forum and hopefully you might get more reponses there.

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few websites that I had bookmarked for services and software when you need website translations.....as there is such a wide range of costs and products for having this done, you will need to really research and have estimates done.

1. Accurate Translation - Web-Page Localization
    2. Alis Technologies -- Web Solutions
    3. Language Translation - Software Translation, Web Page Translation
    4. Web site Translations & international Web site promotion
    5. Website translation by Weblations - We translate your web

As the market for local business websites become global, language translations will become a prerequisite.....WebKat
    Dlynn :: SitePoint Senior Advisor ::
    PawPrint Designs by WebKat
    "Dogs come when they're called; Cats take a message and get back to you later." ~ Mary Bly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nicky & WebKat

Nicky, I tried that option but the problem with that type of translation is that it sometimes cannot always accurately translate automatically without some form human intervention. It might work for simple text but I couldn't be sure if the result would sound like "bad spanish" or "bad french" etc. to someone for whom those languages are native. This is what seems to be the problem faced by localization.

WebKat, The links were very helpful. Some I had writtejn before (e.g. Alis) but have gotten no reply. I wonder if the scale of my company is too small. But Weblations looks like they have a good mix of machine translation and human proofing methods. Now let's hope their price matches the scale of my client's businesses! I will reply here when they answer me or when I find a suitable answer so others can benefit from my search as well.