SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Secret Tags - An alternative to Captchas?

For a website where users can enter content, register and comment, I needed a system to hold bots at bay regarding registration and commenting. I did not want to use captchas, because by using captchas a website discriminates the legitimate user, making her justify herself again and again -- and because of accessability.

So I created a system called Secret Tags.

This is a rather lengthy text, so please forgive me for pointing to it instead of posting it here.

http://www.itst.org/web/269-secret_t...ernative.shtml

Any comments greatly welcome, whether here or there or via PM.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting read. While I'm not an expert on the abilities of bots, seems like it could be a helpful solution to the problem.

Even if there are some potential problems with it, it definitely shows the need for a fix. The existing implementations just aren't accessible to those who can't see the image, or can't see it well.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

The existing implementations just aren't accessible to those who can't see the image, or can't see it well.
    Actually the used challenge-response systems are not accessible enough. Whether you look at captchas using characters in pictures, or several images a user has to choose a keyword to, or funny question the user has to answer, it takes the user too much work to get going. I am with Steve Krug here, keep it simple, stupid.

Then again, captchas were not invented for their current usage - they are a system to tell a machine from a human, or vice versa. They were simply not designed for web applications.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an update. Secret Tags do work, quite well to be straight forward. 40% of all spamming attempts were blocked because the did not carry the secret tag with them.

http://www.itst.org/web/313-secret_tags_at_work.shtml