User Tag List

Thread: PHP Framework

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Framework

I am looking for a framework that already has a lot of the common components included like:
    user management
    security
    error handling

I know that there are a lot of frameworks out there, but could you direct me to ones that are feature rich.

Thx.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good and bad are very subjective matters in relation to frameworks. for what purpose do you need it ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.dotarchitect.org might suit your needs although some like it and some don't... problem is it's not done yet.
    viveHosting.com
    Affordable Hosting, Reliable Service

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken
    good and bad are very subjective matters in relation to frameworks. for what purpose do you need it ?
    Your right, each framework has a positive side and a negative one. In my opinion the best way to measure the quality of the framework is by the user base, since if it does have a lot of support than progress will be made on. Now i know that this can be argued, but without having time to try them all out, thats the best lead i can have.

So to refine my question, which of the available framework currently have a lot of support or are widely used and that also have features like user management and so forth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion Binarycloud is the most complete php framework. At first you will think it is huge but then you enjoy it. Unfortunately not all packages work in the current release.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently stumbled across:
    http://www.yellowduck.be/ydf2/

Seems to be nice and simple with some handy classes.

-matt

SitePoint Enthusiast NativeMind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mojavi in my opinion is the best framework... it does all it needs to do, without forcing you into certain templates, or database stuff, or anything from your "model."

Version 2 is geared towards php4, while version3 is geared towards php5
    Last edited by NativeMind; Nov 3, 2004 at 18:53.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...while php5 is geared towards php5
    No kidding

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an event driven framework, Prado

http://www.xisc.com/

requires PHP 5.

It looks promising, and it is quite simple to use. If you have seen ASP.NET component events, then this is like the php version of that.

Wei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PRADO was the winner of the latest ZEND contest, by the way: http://www.zend.com/php5/contest/con...id=36&single=1

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for prado at the moment. It's very similar in goal to a framework I developed at the start of this year, which I never got a chance to develop as much as I would like. It has most of the same ideas, but from my perspective is a rewrite with all the good and none of the bad, which has made me stop developing with my own framework and help out with prado. It's not mature enough for all the features you're looking for yet, but its design has all of those things taken into account and its just a matter of time that those type of components come out. The amount of development going in to it should see some very good things come out of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following the development of Mach-II for PHP, it looks quite promissing, but alas, it's still in alpha at the moment.

http://www.mach-ii.com
    Jeff Busby

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been tasked at work this week with looking at alternatives for our current framework. The biggest problem I've found is that there are tons of frameworks out there, but very few that ever reached a stable point in development. And sadly, our decision cannot wait on these frameworks to hit stable (if they ever do). Overall my favorites have been, WACT, PRADO, and Mojavi. Of the three though, only Mojavi (and maybe PRADO) can really be considered stable. I would LOVE to use WACT, but it's development is FAR to fluid at this point for me.

So as for current frameworks I'd look at Mojavi for a more MVCish approach, or PRADO for a more component/event driven concept. Both of these will be blown away when/if WACT hits a stable point in development, I just hope it's soon.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing with the Mojavi3 dev release and I'm in heaven. This is exactly the kind of light-weight PHP5 framework I've been looking for. Hell the download is only 46kb, have to love that . The code is very clean, lean and elegant just like the Creole db layer code and the flow is easy to follow. With the addition of page controllers in M3 you aren't forced into the long url scheme of the default front controller. It's too bad Sean didn't submit M3 to the Zend contest, I think he could have placed in the top 5 even with the features that are missing from M2.

I will have a website up shortly that utilizes Mojavi3. I've had to come up with my own ActionChain class since that isn't in the dev release yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kuato,

You can use page controllers in M2 as well. You simply pass the module and action name to the controller's dispatch() method when you call it.
    feti
    Mojavi Project - Mojavi 3.0.0-dev available now!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe i'm a bit off topic, but i recently discovered xsiteable witch is very impressive. if you're building blog-like websites, it may be worth considering.