Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Zealot CardinalCentinel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardProcessing View Post
    And another question:

If the cardholder makes a chargeback with a reason code marked as " Didn't receive goods", how can we dispute this chargeback? Is it enough to provide our acquiring bank with an invoice and shipment reference with a Tradking ID number?The bank could simply enter the tracking number on a Courier's website and verify, that the cardholder had signed the receipt and that the goods were delivered. Please, clarify this also
    These chargebacks are usually winnable.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com
    The Leaders in Authenticated Payments

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CardinalCentinel View Post
    Verified by Visa: In the US merchants are granted what's called chargeback blocking on all Visa transactions from US cardholders. If a US cardholder initiates a chargeback for fraud or "not recognized" the trasnaction will be blocked at the issuer. International transactions that are chargedback for fraud or "not recognized" must be represented to the acquirer for reversal.
    Thanks for your reply, but if the acquiring bank is located in Germany and merchant process payments of US cardholders? Will the chargeback be blocked at issuing bank?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These chargebacks are usually winnable.
    Winnable by merchants or cardholders?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your reply, but if the acquiring bank is located in Germany and merchant process payments of US cardholders? Will the chargeback be blocked at issuing bank?
    no
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winnable by merchants or cardholders?
    merchants
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will 3D Authentication become mandatory in the near future?

Hi,

I found the sitepoint forum during some google inquiries about "3D secure authentication" as I am wondering if 3DS will become mandatory in the near future. I am asking this from a merchants perspective. As far as I know some clearing providers in the UK (like ePDQ and ProtX) are forcing their customers to implement 3DS in course of the conversion from Switch/Solo Cards to Maestro.

Does anybody of you have more information about that issue available? That would really, really be appriciated.

Thx in advance,
    MaBa

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no indication that this will be mandatory any time soon or ever at all. Now if a processing banks wants all of their merchants to use it they certainly can do that if they want to. But Visa and MasterCard are not going to make it mandatory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MasterCard has made SecureCode mandatory for all Maestro/Switch/Solo cards. Processors and Acquirers must have certain percentages of their portfolio up and running by the end of the year. In 2008 you will not be able to authorize a Maestro/Switch/Solo card without SecureCode.

MasterCard has also mandated issuer participation. Issuers who do not implement SecureCode and begin enrolling cardholders are subject to fines. MasterCard is the only association that is issuing mandates at this point.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your help and the information which is really usefull for me.

SitePoint Enthusiast that_tim_fella's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting thread and some good information I've not been able to find elsewhere - particularly from my payment gateway provider Protx in the UK.

The way Protx have put this across to us over the past few months is that you must have 3-D Secure in place or else certain cards won't be accepted. Now that the deadlines have passed and we haven't implemented it all our sites are still happily taking all cards. To be fair to Protx, I'm not sure the banks/card issuers have been consistent with the information they have given them. I even heard from one source that Protx simply don't know what's happening with this.

The main reason we haven't set up 3-D Secure is we see a lot of development time to do it. You then think "well, we don't have to do it" and "cardholders aren't signed up anyway - so will we lose out through abandoned sales?" and there just seems little point. Obviously shift of liability is a factor but we don't suffer many chargebacks anyway. [Please note: I'm simplifying things massively in this paragraph]

I personally have Switch, Mastercard, Visa and Visa Debit cards with several banks for business and personal accounts. Not one of these banks has ever contacted me as a customer to try to get me to sign up to 3-D Secure. Perhaps this will change and they'll start trying to 'sell' it?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are using a payment processor called Worldpay which is UK based, who acts your payment processor and acquiring bank so its very easy for any merchant to sign up with them. They are using royal bank of scotland. I've recently started using vbv and securecode a few months ago, recently the card user raised a dispute one of those "I didn't do it" types. It was a visa transaction, not mastercard. The transaction is question is a "cardholder not enrolled" status, which means we are fully covered by Visa merchant protection. But now its time for us to see whether this deal is too good to be true. I have a few questions

1) When I called up worldpay staff told me this transaction was marked as eligibility shift = Y. But yet they have frozen part of our cash reserves, in case this dispute ever materializes into a chargeback. Should I be worried? And will the fact that worldpay is uk based, our organisation in Asia and the card holder is from Brazil have any effect on eligibility shift? Will chargeback blocking still apply here? Worldpay seems to have its claws out ready to take the money back from us if the issuing bank wins the case.

2) The confusing thing worldpay said that eligibility shift is not 100% absolute (for user authenticated and cardholder not enrolled) and we still need to review each customer carefully before we accept his payment. They even said some fully authenticated fraudulent transaction have been chargebacked before. Or that issuing banks can simply change the reason codes to something else if the original fraud chargeback intended was blocked. Is there basis on what they have said and can we end up taking the losses? That's bad since vbv was meant to alleviate merchants from such problems. Issuing banks seem to throw the unpleasantries back to us merchants instead of honoring the agreements set out by Visa/Mastercard.

3) Assuming cardholder not enrolled protection was really a godsend, and we receive full protection. But do we still have the responsilibilty to help issuing banks screen out fraud orders? Worldpay sometimes marks each transaction as a "warning" status. Previously without vbv, we might get more info from the buyer to make sure he is for real. But now with vbv, the logic would simply to accept all transaction marked "cardholder not enrolled" since if there was any problem later, it would be the problem of the issuing bank, not us. What is our responsiblities as merchant in this aspect?

Hope you can really answer these important questions. I've been having a lot of sleepness nights worrying about the eventual outcome of the dispute. Will update this forum when I get the verdict.
    Last edited by smallvolume; Dec 25, 2007 at 12:07.

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    smallvolume - I assume you use AVS [address checks] and CVV [credit card code checks] as well as IP checks? Those things can help you cut back on the fraud orders. Even if you are protected, too much of those and the merchant account may shut you down and add your name on the bad black list. :/

- Tomer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tomer,

Yes, we use AVS and CVV checks which helps to flag transactions as "warning" or "caution" status as I mentioned in point 3 above. Your point about needing to screen fraudulent customers or end up in visa's black list despite protection. My first impression was that since using vbv any transactions that come through marked as "user authenticated" or "cardholder/bank not enrolled" and we can accept them without debate. I now understand why we might need to fulfil our role as merchants to screen out fraud orders. Since if issuing banks are forced to take losses again and again because we simply accepted questionable payments, then this will raise a red flag about the quality of our company. I hope thats the case, since I would want to know we are NOT wasting our time and resources to screen transactions e.g. asking for customer billing statements, etc, when we didn't really have to because we are protected no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Should you be worried?
    It depends. WorldPay is not a customer of Cardinal so we have almost no visibility on whether or not they are properly passing CAVV and ECI data.

- And will the fact that worldpay is uk based, our organisation in Asia and the card holder is from Brazil have any effect on eligibility shift?
    It shouldn't have any effect on the protection as long as the tranactions are qualifying accordingly.

- Will chargeback blocking still apply here?
    No. Chargeback blocking is only available on US to US consumer transactions for Visa. You will still need to represent the transaction since you're an international merchant.

- Is there basis on what they have said and can we end up taking the losses?
    No. If you are passing the data accordingly and transactions are qualifying for CPS Preferred and UCAF than the protection should be in place. Issuers changing reason codes is a myth. It's highly unprobable since the dispute resolution groups are monitored by Visa and MasterCard and they operate under strict procedures. If you can identify a specific example of when this occurred WorldPay should present the case to Visa/MC. There are strict fines associated with this which they will execute.

- Assuming cardholder not enrolled protection was really a godsend, and we receive full protection. But do we still have the responsibility to help issuing banks screen out fraud orders?
    Absolutely. You need to run both AVS and CVV2 to qualify for the programs protection.

Advise:

Contact Worldpay and absolutely make sure the transactions have qualified for the correct interchange status. When you receive the CB make check what reason code it was chargedback for. Then follow the represent procedure for VbV merchants specified by Visa. WorldPay can provide this to you.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

winter is around the corner Tomer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm not too sure exactly what the Verified by Visa and the Mastercard thingy are, can anyone explain?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomer View Post
    Sorry, I'm not too sure exactly what the Verified by Visa and the Mastercard thingy are, can anyone explain?
    Read this thread: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206728

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    additional information can also be found here:

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/vbv.html

and here:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...ode/index.html

You can also contact your acquirer for additional information. Please also note that SecureCode is mandated for ALL merchants who accept Maestro, Switch, or Solo cards. If you are not running SecureCode and you accept these card types you orders will not pass authorization.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    additional information can also be found here:

http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/vbv.html

and here:

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchan...ode/index.html

You can also contact your acquirer for additional information. Please also note that SecureCode is mandated for ALL merchants who accept Maestro, Switch, or Solo cards. If you are not running SecureCode and you accept these card types you orders will not pass authorization.
    Thanks a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I haven't updated this thread in some time but there has been some important updates with MasterCard SecureCode.

MasterCard SecureCode will now be offering protection on all cards regardless of enrollment outside of the US along with an interchange break.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've attached a pdf to this post which outlines all the program updates.

Mods,

Please remove if this violates the TOS.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changes & pdf document

I was wondering what the changes were made to the program and cannot seem to locate the pdf document.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's a link you can follow to get more info

the pdf size is too large to upload

http://www.cardinalcommerce.com/solutions/verified.htm
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What will happen to a transaction that went through 3D secure processing and then was slightly different when actual processor authorization was processed? (amount change, shipping cost addition, split transaction, etc) Many merchants do not perform thier actual authorizations in real time but wait unitl stock levels are checked, shippint costs are verified, etc. Will the ECI and 3D secure validation hang on the transaction for fraud protection and interchange reductions? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Davis View Post
    What will happen to a transaction that went through 3D secure processing and then was slightly different when actual processor authorization was processed? (amount change, shipping cost addition, split transaction, etc) Many merchants do not perform thier actual authorizations in real time but wait unitl stock levels are checked, shippint costs are verified, etc. Will the ECI and 3D secure validation hang on the transaction for fraud protection and interchange reductions? Thanks
    3DS does take this into consideration.

The 3DS data will be good for transactions that are greater than the amount of the ticket during checkout.
    CardinalCommerce
    www.cardinalcommerce.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread but couldn't help but reply on why this would happen. It is most likely that the bank declines 3D secure transactions that are verified because all liability will go to the issuing bank for chargebacks, whereas if verification fails, chargeback liability will reside with the acquiring bank. While 3D secure claims to protect merchants from chargebacks (ie, guaranteed payment, cardholders can still claim that "goods or services not rendered" and a chargeback will still be processed thru". Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnitel View Post
    And what could be the trouble with Wells Fargo, when the cardholder process the card details for authorization he is promted to enter his password, and here is the trick:

if VbV password is correct - transaction is declined. ALWAYS!!
    If the same customer on VbV window clicks cancel(authentication failed) - the transaction is approved.

What could be the reason, i have called to wells fargo, most of them dont even know what is VbV, i have told the story more then 30 times i guess, but finally i've reach the department who should know about that, and i was told they can see the reason, but cant tell me, and asked to call me a customer and ask him to process his card one more time, i put the banker on hold and called to the customer to process the card one more time, anyway it was declined again, so banker told me that the trouble comes not from Wells Fargo, but from VISA and connected me to VISA, anyway in VISA the people level is the same i guess like on the streets who cleans them, big accent its almost impossible to understand, i am saying whats going on, they are asking my card details for no reason, anyway i gave them, so they wanted to connect me to bank of america(my card issuer), i like why BOA i have troubles with customers and WF, so after 20 mins of telling him, that he forgot my card, he just told me that VISA is gateway and all the stuff like authorization is being dont in financial institution, and connected me again to Wells fargo, the guy picked up the phone and i told the situation, so he wanted to talk to customer, i told that if all customers will be redirected so i lose alot of money, and customers always hear the busy signal, anyway these cards were authorized, and all others were declined after. What could be the reason for this? If VbV successful - transaction declined, if autentication failed - transaction approved.