SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Is my Adsense Optimized? Alpine Ski Updated

Hi,

I submitted my website last month for a review. Now I want to no if my website is optimized for google adsense revenue.

I am having trouble with my CTR. All I can say is that it is very low. Despite record visitors to my website in the past few weeks.

I want to know which pages you read the adsense on and if any which placement you would more likely to read and click on. Which pages should have more ads which pages should have less. And which pages are eyesores.

Probably suited to someone with adsense experience as they can suggest different ad formats to put on the page.

Thanks,
    www.alpineski.co.nz

P.s The logos new as well. What do you think?
    Last edited by snowman21; Nov 2, 2004 at 12:23.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not an adsense guru, but the adds seemed blended well.

How much traffic do you get?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It`s a nice looking site, if I read you right about google, then the ads are showing right, with the content of your site, good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the placements are ok.... the site does seem narrow and a little jumbled... what kind of traffic are you getting?

SitePoint Evangelist jimday1982's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think your ads could be placed/blended any better - it's got to be a traffic issue.
    Jimmy Day
    Senior Systems Analyst
    Piedmont Healthcare Corporation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answers.

What i wanted to know was wheather the Ad Placement, colour, size was good enough to attract your intention and makwe you want to click on the add?

I have begun to think it's an eyesore on the visitors and people are now ingnoring them instead of reading them. I.E http://www.alpineski.co.nz/skiing.html

Anyway, I can't really talk about CTR but i get around 450 pages a day with highs and lows between 350 and 800. It depends on the days of the week.
    CTR usually stays <1.

So, any ideas on COLOR, PLACEMENT, SIZE? Thanks.!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would remove the bottom ad because I think its a bit too much. If you want more traffic put more content on the front page in a form of your own text stories so you havea higher text density. Maybe a forum for people who love to Ski? Can get your visitors coming back.

The google ad on the right is cool, colour is ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk
    If you want more traffic put more content on the front page in a form of your own text stories so you havea higher text density.
    What do you mean by stories on the front page?

Maybe a forum for people who love to Ski? Can get your visitors coming back.
    Any ideas for a good forum system? I am guessing this means i need to install a database as well.

Thanks for the comments.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design the colours go well with the subject.
    regarding the google adsence well i am no expert but what i have found that is if you have plenty of text with your key words inserted along the way and the name of your site you will do better, also it is worth having a site map link on your home page this just makes it easier for the ggogle bot to crawl all the pages in your site as the bot looks for links on your main page and then follows them to the linked pages if you have a site map link then the bot will certainly crawl all your pages.
    somthing like that anyway

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh if you are looking for a forum then snitz forum is a good one to get easy to install and easy to modify it uses asp and sql or access there is no work to be done on the setting up of the database if you use access just follow the instructions, although if your host offers a free sql database then use this one. my only concern is that the html data area on you site is very narrow add you may find that the forum will not look right in your site or it will break the template. I would see if you can try to make the template 100% rather than fixed also have you tried centering you page rather than having set to the left ... align="center" or you could try to make the data area larger.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one weak point is the fact that your ads are placed in the same spot as everyone elses. Most users of the web have developed "advertising blindness", and by instinct doesn't look closely at the contect in those spots. I would recommend integrating the ads more with the content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the way you've blended the adsense. If you don't see results from it, please check out the way other successful sites on this forum has blended adsense.

Sometimes adsense does well either blended in our sticking out.. try you luck with that and see which works best for your site.

Good luck!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i like how integrated your adsense and your ctr *is* about average. you can make adsense stand out more (more ad units, different colors) but you might lose loyal visitors as a result since your site will look too money-hungry. once again, i like the way it is now.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to add the slightly larger/longer adsense box on the side that shows 4 ads instead of the 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a very similar site so I hope I can speak with some very relevant experience. I think the way you integrated the Adsense ads is perfect. I especially like the adds on your article pages as lead-ins to the body of the article itself. I also agree that the ads at the bottom of the page are overkill. You need to strike a balance between page content and text advertising.

Regarding overall site design: I agree with an earlier comment about sizing. Try to let the site's layout "breath" a little bit. It seems very compressed. Try playing around with dynamically resizing tables (% widths vs. defined pixel widths).

Regarding forum software: look into phpBB. It's what we use and we've been able to integrate an image gallery among a few other modifications, including a News section driven by the forums.

Overall, the site looks great and I certianly can appreciate your content!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO I think the ads in the main content are a bit in your face and make me want to stop reading right there. You should use the main part of your page for 'your' content, after all that is why the user is there and what they are actually looking for.

The ads to the right are in keeping with the site as a whole but perhaps blend in a little too well, perhaps adding a border would be an idea.

In my experience vBulletin is excellent, its not cheap though but really is work the money.