SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bandlink.net - redesign

My site - Bandlink.net - is a growing directory of bands/artists, radio stations and record labels with a lively forum.

My main change to the site prompting the review is that I've changed it from an 800 px fixed-width to a 100% width size.

I'd love to see some reviews, thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No reviews? Guess it must be perfect, then...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No bad, intergrated portal, it looks ok, some of it still looks default looking though, maybe change the content headers to the colours used in the menu areas, but you have popups GGGrrrr. Good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I checked it out, I was immediately thrown off by the over-advertising. I recommend you make your ads blend more and do you really need that much?

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good in Safari and Firefox on OS X. The ads on the right hand side are somewhat annoying and could probably be "tuned down" a little.

The ad at the very top of the page looks out of place and should maybe moved somewhere else (or done away with completely).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the ads pay the bills.

I'm probably going to remove the top banner ad soon as it won't fit in with my redesign of the top section. The ad on the right-hand side is only on a few pages. On the artist pages (8000+, the majority of the site) there are affiliate ads which do blend in better and arguably ad some content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on the front page, your ads and banners overpower the real content/point of the site.... at first glance it looks like I'm on the ditech.com site..... your site banner, bankdlink.net kind of blends into the header's background....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ads do help pay the bills but ones like the flashing fastclick ad at the top just irritates and will probably have ppl judging your site before they even get to the content.

Viewing the site in Firefox your header title graphic has a border effect that doesn't make it blend in like it does in IE.

I would probably prefer to see the 'What Is Bandlink?' box at the top of the homepage.

Like someone else said it seems a bit default-setting in its look and would benefit from a stronger identity with more graphics. Here's a couple of music-related sites that have strong identities and ads that suit the site.
    Epitonic
    KVR

Good luck
    vinyl digging - on a secondhand vinyl journey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I don't care much for it for the simple fact that it reminds me too much of those false pages a lot of Search engine optimization companies build. It's too generic looking to attract me to want to click links and find bands, and I'm a huge music fan.

To me the site says "I'm more interested in advertising/making ad money every way possible" as opposed to "I'm interested in helping bands".

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,

Your Banner ads drove me crazy but the Google ads blended in and were fine.

Your links and alpha organizing are very logical and easy to follow, good job.

If possible drop the banners and add some images that relate to who you are to give your site more of a warm feeling.

Overall, easy to navigate and well thought out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ya first thing i would do is throw the what is bandlink.net header you have at the bottom of the page to the top, helps people know what exactly the sites about.

Maybe having a navigation bar of some kind would help also. First thing im looking for is some links to the content , but couldnt readily find them. Adding the links off to the side or top would make them stand out more.

Lot of text, hardly any graphics/images hurts the eyes jazz it up.

good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be pleased to hear that I've removed the top banner from the site. I'm also working (in the Contests forum, actually) on a new design for the logo. You guys are absolutely right, the site needs 'jazzing' up a bit. I'll look into more images to give the site 'more of a warm feeling'.

Uzzz: you posted; "Maybe having a navigation bar of some kind would help also. First thing im looking for is some links to the content , but couldnt readily find them.". There is a dhtml navigation bar which appears near the top of the page, under the red bar. Did it not appear for you?

Melter, thanks for those links.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Logo

Mark, for some reason as a new member I am unable to post on your contest thread. But I would like to enter my idea for your logo contest. I am sorry to put this on a semi-unrelated thread, but I don't know how else to get my entry to you.

I have attached the entry
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark i agree with you that you need to have those advertisements even though eveyone is telling you to get rid of them. I don't know how you work the whole getting bands and radio stations together but im assuming that you aren't charging for that which is why you need to put the ads on the site. the only critisism that i have is that the logo at the top seems small. I would try to expand the banner horizontally to take up more of that top bar. good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast Darklightmw's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..ok.. first of all, get a color scheme, and set all of your buttons to an image of that color. I recommend the color scheme be blue, as you already have a lot of that color. Also, the google search looks really bad, if you want to keep the grey box, then at least extend it to the top and bottom of the title box. Just those two things could make your site MUCH more agreeable to the eyes.
    where are the snowdens of yesteryear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, what do you all think to this version of my index page?

**it's a work in progress, just messing with the colours and layout**