SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

midnight coder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be designing a site for Web Development company, so obviously the site should be as compatible as possible.

To what extend should I support 640*480? Should I make my site so they do not have a horizontal scroll bar? or should I do it so there is a scroll bar, but the main text is readable without scrolling? When the design was made to fit on a 640*480 screen, it's only about a quarter of the size on 1024*728!

The code will be aim for browsers 4.0+, but still readable and functional for 3.0.

As for the design, should it be reasonably clean, and quick loading? or should I put in a few more graphics and make it look like a full blown interface? Which is a better design for a Web Development site?

How could I impress the audience and make them my protential clients?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, your site should be legible in 640x480, but you shouldn't sacrifice your site's design by making it too small just so there is no horizontal scrolling bar in 640x480. Remember, the majority of web surfers use 800x600, then 1024x768, so I would make sure my site looks best in those two and at least decent in 640x480.

As far as browsers, definitely make sure it looks fine in 4x+. Making it look in 3x is fine, but isn't really entirely necessary, IMO.

In my opinion, the type of design depends on the purpose of the site. If yours is generally intended to be a content or information site, make it quick loading and clean. If it's a design company type site, make it more flashy and full of graphics. Just don't go overboard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    either try it with 750/760 pixels width or 90-95%. Although I would never advise you to make a flashy or a full of graphics web site. But, it may prove to be a successful web designing company web site. Because, most of the people get impressed with these stuff.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pardon me..a web development company doesn't have a eb designer, or are you the one? lol

depends on their audience!
    i would recommend at least 800 by 600.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just like Lyon, I would say 800x600. Don't try and make the site compatible with every browser and every resolution. Find a medium. 800x600 is good.

Btw, that means that your total table width can NOT exceed 780 pixels (that's pushing it). I make my tables only 750 just to be safe.
    Corbb O'Connor
    Looking for quality website design or database programming?
    Contact me for more information and a FREE quote!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, 100% would be better.

Consider the Microsoft Office Shortcut Bar? Or Netscape 6 left personal bar..or IE's favourites, history etc.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."
    -- Albert Einstein

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Corbbmacc
    [B]Just like Lyon, I would say 800x600. Don't try and make the site compatible with every browser and every resolution. Find a medium. 800x600 is good.
    The purpose of this site is to advertise a web design company, is that right?

So who are your principal target audience?

I would guess (and I am only guessing, it depends on your focus) that you are probably targeting sme's who currently do not have a web presence (largely) and those who do but may be unhappy with the service.
    You can make something of an assumption that SME's without a web presence are not the most IT focused on the planet and as such will not necessarily have the latest technologies (INCLUDING BROWSERS AND MONITORS).

So far I have been speculating, now for some facts. As well as doing development work for my current employer, I am responsible for spending a far from modest budget, using third party developers. I have already decided not to use companies based on the compatibility of their sites. The reason is simple, if they are happy to alienate their own prospective customers, they sure as hell won't have a problem alienating mine.

You will have to have things like ballpark prices and terms on the site, as well as some sort of "showing off" of (your/their??) work.

Heres a possible solution:

Develop a "Flash" site, making it 100% the width and Height of the browser window (circumnavigating the browser/resolution problem).

Include in the site BOTH a "skip to html" button and a redirect based on the availability of flash or otherwise on the client side.

The html version should follow strict principles, be viewable at all resolutions and since what you are trying to convey is information, be compatible all the way back to version 3 browsers. You can include links to other more snazzy work, and explain what technologies will be required to view them.

This way you do not look either arrogant or ignorant, will be more likely to attract "all" customers and may even please non-techie visitors by educating them a little about browser/res differences, rather than just ignoring them if they don't know.

H
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS