User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggest a revenue stream?

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to post this!

I own a website at www.download-com.com which I bought ages ago. It was a directory of free engineering/manufacturing downloads. After I bought it, I redesigned it and then left it as I knew nothing about engineering/manufacturing. I even stopped submissions of new files as I don't know how to approve them or whatever! Makes you wonder why I bought it in the first place!

Anyhow, I've never touched the site for the last year or so as it makes a bit on adsense and I thought as long as it brings in more than hosting and domain renewal, I'm fine. Well, it averages about 100 to 150 uniques per day and the adsense is enough to support it.

I'm wondering if anyone knew how I could monetize the traffic in other ways? I know nothing about the topic, and I wouldn't know the best way to do this.

All suggestions are welcome.
    Every god falls at a mortal's hand.
    Such is the only end to immortality.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100-150 uniques a day isn't worth the time of trying to monetize, stick with adsense cause It'll be extremely hard to get into additional networks for the higher paying ads.

Instead of spending time trying to make money off of it why don't you work on traffic building? A site witch such old content needs new content....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cause I wouldn't know where to start in promoting such a site, plus I've no interest in the topic. Just looking for a way to make easy money on it since the traffic seems decent for nil promoted site. Currently I'm asking myself why I bought the thing in the first place . . . probably drunk.
    Every god falls at a mortal's hand.
    Such is the only end to immortality.

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with a site with that much traffic, adsense may still be your best bet. You could try some targetted affiliate ads for your top-performing pages, but other than that, I don't think there's anything that's going to help you out in a significant way, unless you build up the site.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not partner up with someone that do know something about engineering/manufacturing software? Let him run the site and share the profit.
    George Skee
    Follow me at GeorgeSkee.com

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless the site is a PR6 or 7 it wouldn't be worth it for that guy to go in and do all the work when the traffic is so low. Most people around here can start pulling at least that within a week of launch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by krohnathlonman
    Unless the site is a PR6 or 7 it wouldn't be worth it for that guy to go in and do all the work when the traffic is so low. Most people around here can start pulling at least that within a week of launch.
    Im very intersted in knowing how this would be acheived pulling 'pr6 or 7' within a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he meant 150 visitors per day, not PR6 or PR7.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh - i thought to myself if this is possible those people are 'bloody' good pardon the french.

Thx for pointing this out to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I ran this site, I would add a one or two more CPA textlinks under the Amazon "related products" link. It certainly couldn't hurt, and might bring in an extra few dollars a month.

Also, try submitting the site to a few directories, so that Google will crawl your site again, and index some more pages (only a few are listed right now, and several of them are coming up as "not found").
    -- Jeremy Maddock
    SEOMix.com - Search Engine Optimization Tips
    My Blog - Business, tech, and politics from a webmaster's perspective