SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pixelerate Design - Need your opinions

Iam posting here for a while now every now and then and it's time for me to show you guys what i've been designing lately.

My portfolio page is up containing website design, corporate identity design and so on. It's not all of my work yet and it's not completely finished as well, but iam in need of some professional opinions. (positive or negative)

http://www.pixelerate.net

tell me what you think so far and if everything is working for you.

* everything WAS w3c valid untill i got complaints that the so called w3c valid flash code isn't properly working in a lot of browsers

** I posted this message on another forum as well and got the comment it didn't look like a portfolio site, but more as a business site. That could be correct, iam currently starting my own business, this website is the first step.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ic3d, nice looking site, good colours and it gives a professional style. The one this that did spring to mind however was that it looked very much in the style of a template monster template. Personally I don't have anythign against TM templates but people may think less of you if you are using a template for your own site.

Maybe change the font, get rid of the 'home','sitemap' and 'contact' buttons as these appear on every TM template out there. Other than that, good work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with romance, try verdana font. Otherwise, very nice

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AMAZING!

I haven't seen anything as good as this lately. GREAT WORK!
    There is nothing I could find bad on the site. Only thing is that the bottom where the following text is located :

Website design Corporate identity Graphics E-Marketing Support

[ design overview | sitemap | contact | design directories ]

© 2004 Pixelerate, All Rights Reserved: Privacy Policy Disclaimer

You should leave some spaces in between the lines, it is looking too crammed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice design indeed... clear and clean, i wish i could design that well

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all I want to meet that redhead. There are a couple of consistency issues I'll note but overall the site has a density and clarity that can be hard to get right. You may want to think about cutting down on some of your copy as the font size with the amount of copy on some pages is a little overwhelming "wall of text" effect.

The "webdesign" link takes me to the "Website Design" page. The "Identity" link takes me to the "Corporate Identity" page. The "Graphics" link takes me to the "Graphic Design" page. The "Support" link worst of all, takes me to the "Free Quotation" page. Normally I wouldn't pick at this stuff but the support link needs help. When people need support seeing a Free Quotation page will totally agitate them. Support should mean support. I know the support contacts are further down the page, but not seeing that right when you come to that page is very distracting/disorienting.

The other links? Maybe it's semantics but what's wrong with keeping your page titles as succinct as your navigation already is? Narrowing the categorical meaning might limit your business. For instance in the case of Identity > Corporate Identity. Well what if I'm a local pub who likes your identity designs but feels put off because yo do "Corporate Identity". This conjures notions of pricing, experience, and idea that might turn someone away.

I think the side navigation has questionable purpose. It's the same as the top menu which is a nice interface by itself. What if the side contextualized the site instead of repeated the navigation? What if there was a brief blurb on what the site was, right there, when you get to the home page? The glossary of terms idea on sub pages is brilliant and gets pushed down by the repeated navi. I wonder if ditching it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Over all I dig the site, it's clean, light, and has tons of information that is organized with lucidity. Again, I want to meet that redhead :P

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to review and post a reply. A short answer to everyone:

- romance: Thank you. I heard templatemonster a few times and i wonder why that is. I maybe visited once somewhere in my life, but i started browsing theire work today and noticed they have a very large diversity in theire templates. Some do match the style, but i think it covers almost every style. Could you maybe explain me why this looks like tm? Iam really curious, cause i don't want to look like a template Thank you for your review.

- Kosta: Thank you as well. What is wrong with the font in your opinion? Is it too large? I use an 11pt Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serig now in the css file. I'll try verdana and see what it does. Thanks!

- Neo[HD]: Wow you make my cheeks blush Thanks a lot for your very kind words. Also you might be right about the stuffed bottom, i'll try to see what i can change to that.

- Menuserve: Thanks for your kind words, really appreciated.

- GetNavi: Wow what a reply. You are absolutely right about the support page thanks for that tip. About the links & pagenames, i used the shorten version for the buttons otherwise they would look terribly long. Also there is a bit of SEO on it, for example why the sidemenu, 3 reasons for that. most importantly, before i went online i asked friends and family on theire opinions, some of them (especially the older ones without 'real' computer experience really have a hardtime navigating on just the top, how strange that may, that's why i added the side and replaced the old setup, i just want everyone to be able to navigate without too mutch trouble. The second reason is that i just started (not designing but for myself), so i haven't got a lot of content yet, when i'll grow (hopefully) the portfolio will expand, the top menu will have dropdowns and the left menu will have the catagorised, like some sort of easy sitemap.The other reason is that bots don't recognize the js-overs and i want it to spider all pages asap. I studied marketing and e-marketing for over 2 years now and i want my site to be spidered asap (who doesn't) and get rid of the crapy pr3.
    Great point with the local pub example!
    I'll send the redhat your phone number and i'll ask her to shave her goatee (when i showed my gf the site the first thing she said was. 'why does the girl has a goatee' )

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's awesome. you have some solid reasoning behind why you did what you did. its looking really good.

send her over once she gets that chin shaved. : D

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i couldn't cover some of the points you made and iam very glad you did so i will be able to improve the site step by step

Btw i just read my replies back, it's horrible English.. must be the time over here (the Netherlands).. btw you ow me $10,- for a wilkinson quatro razor blade for the lady

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks pretty good.

I agree with the template monster remark. If you look at the "dégradé" on the buttons of this template http://www.templatemonster.com/websi...ates/4124.html or this one http://www.templatemonster.com/websi...pl=6673&tab=27 if will give you an idea of that remark.

I have a couple of points I would like to tell you: on the 1st page, browsing with a 1200 pix wide definition it doesn't use the complete width of the screen, but if you look at the Webdesign section it does, Idendity sort of go to 80%, Graphics 70%, Emarketing uses the whole width (boy, so much text here !) and Support is the same as the first page.

I don't understand why on your 1st page you have 3 times a box with Web Development whereas the links below this title go to the correct section, the 1st Portfolio goes to website design, the 2nd to Corporate Identity and the 3rd somehow goes to a section call "Graphics Design" it looks inconsistent with the 2 previous point.

Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for the reply and the great remark about the boxes. It's my bad, i copied the code of the first box and pasted it 2 times to save time. I must have forgotten to replace those images. Thank you!.

About the width. Everything should have been 97% width exept for the homepage and the contact page, simply because those use boxes. Besides the width i want the hompepage to have a different look, so iam still busy creating a proper subpage design (which is almost the same but looks more like a subpage).

Thank you for your review, was really helpfull

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ic3d
    Wow, thanks for the reply and the great remark about the boxes. It's my bad, i copied the code of the first box and pasted it 2 times to save time. I must have forgotten to replace those images. Thank you!.
    I don't think there is anybody around who didn't got caught once (!) by a copy / paste and forget to make corresponding changes.
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design but it looks way too much like a template and since this is a web design site thats not good at all. A lot of people wont realize it because they have no idea what a template is, sad but true.

You have WebSite design, it should be website.

Seo& E-Marketing should be SEO & E-Marketing.

It looks good tho but I just wouldnt use a template for a web design site. Smart people wont fall for that lol.
    Founder and CEO of AreYouTaken.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay iam getting a bit confused here, some people say it looks like a "template" how can you see what a template is and what not, you can't!

Iam a bit tired of it, i have no problems with negative feedback, but please support the "template" thing. To start of with, there are zillion of template companies out there like templatemonster and that is not all, A LOT of individuals create templates as well, look at the ammount of templates selling posts on sites like wht, or several auction sites.

Second of all, a template is a ready made site not focussed on the company, usually being bought several times. So what exactly makes this look like a "template" do you know either me or my starting company? I can backup every decision i made when creating this site when it comes to design. I don't just design things cause they look pretty, i learned better afther passing 2 design academys with honor (and currently attending a third) and the standard over here is a tad higher than in most western countries. For example about 90% of the unniversities in the USA won't be even getting the name unniversity over here. Iam not saying that iam good at all iam just trying to make a point. I really can take negative comments if i can do something with it or even if it's just your opinion.

Some refer to templatemonster (which is not the same as just the term "template" just because they create templates. Like shoes are not automatically Nike Shoes but Nike shoes are shoes again). I can slightly see that with some elements, but there are about 50!! different designers currently creating templates for templatemonster and that is not all, cause designers there go and come all the time over there, so 50 designers with theire own styles and backgrounds.. and my site applies to all 50 of them, wow! Currently there are 5122 templates on template monster alone, there are zillion out there and my site looks like each and everyone of them? And if not, pass me some of your sites and iam sure i can find some template reseller or designer that created something simular, somewhere, sometime. Maybe i should go for the rectangle like most of the portfolio's and don't mind most are using that style, or maybe i should go for the "simple business" look like the other half, cause well templatemonster doesn't really create those for a reason. Or i might just go for some colorfull background stuffed with animated gifs and flashing text cause i could be sure no template reseller is selling one of those babies.

Again i can take any form of critisizm as long as someone takes the effort to explain it. Calling it just a template is pretty easy when a template could be a zillion things designed by a zillion designers. A template is nothing more then a ready made site mostly sold more than once.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Site

Top work. I agree with romance that it somewhat looks like a TM template but that is okay. It still looks like its your own work. I thing there are a few things, although that may be a personal viewpoint. The top buttons have a ">" symbol which makes it think like that there will be a javascript dropdown. You may be better without that(again, this is a very personal opinion). Should I also mention that the sitemap sub-options could have links, may be good for Google PRs. At some places, the fonts also become very small, not good for old people and people with bad eyesight .

We seem like brothers , we are also "Pixel", http://www.pixelsmedia.net/ , very best with your website and company

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.pixelsmedia.net/
    http://www.templatearcade.com/

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for your review Pixelsmedia. You are right about the ">" i intended to use js dropdowns but postphoned that for a while. For example i created 2 own windows & mac fonts, but before i attach a font button in some dropdown to it i want more. The sitemap is not quit finished yet but i see your point (it would be so easy to let dreamweaver or some other editor generate a sitemap per click when you update..)

I watched your site as well and i really like it. Not because you said something nice about mine, i honoustly do. very crisp and clean look and i really love your left menu! And we both seem to like text and go right into the trend to keep everything as empty as possible.
    Iam not fond of your header (just my humble opinion) i think you can juice that op real nice. But other than that your site looks tiptop. Goodluck with it as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice design and great looks I know I've seen those kind of buttons somewhere before, up top in the menu for navigation..I just can't remember where. Looks great all together and great design / choice of color.
    * Losers make excuses - winners make it happen *
    Your dream can come true - if you have the courage to pursue it!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site, very good colors and styles, I love the FLash intro header, thats awesome

A couple comments, hope theyre helpfull.

1) when I resize to 800x600, there is a scroll bar at the bottom of my explorer
    window, even though all the contents of the page fits in the screen, maybe needs to be a tiny bit smaller?

2) the site is a little heavy, on dialup, it takes a while for all stuff to appear, esp the Flash header, but I spose thats the price you pay for style

3) Ive noticed the Flash header overlaps the links at the top, just the top of the redheads hair, is a part of the link graphic, so when the banner animates, that part of her head is excluded from the animation, does look a bit odd.

Cheerz,
    dwayne

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHoa VERY NICE JOB PAL

I give a 10/10 !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DreamLevel > Thank your for your nice words I doubt that you've seen the buttons somewhere, but on the other hand they are not that original so someone somewhere must be having something about simular.

Giantrase > Thank you for the kind words and the tips. You're right about 800x600 its due because of 97% width. I might make it 95% to deleted that horizontal scrollbar. I also still need to upload a preload, but at this moment i already have a few clients and those are more important to me, cause well.. they are my future Your last suggestion is where i think of a lot as well. It was either this way or a giant flashmovie with mouse-overs and so on and i really don't like flash navigation for my site.

Premiumhosted > Whoa Thanks a lot!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool site, very professional and some nice portfolio work too!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another question that is lately corssing my mind. Is this site okay for "business" purposes or do you guys think it requires a more 'business' kind of style?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like this design. However, on my 1280x1024 display the 100% width look on the index page is a bit off. The logo bar is at 100% however the content table stops about mid page for me. I would suggest making the contnt table 100% as well (you've already got it that way on some of the following pages). Otherwise I think the layout and the design is pretty solid.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit i love the design and the colours looks very proffesional and crisp. it is easy to navigate and there is plent to go at on the home page 10/10 for my review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site graphicly it's a dream, the source on the otehr hand looks like alphabet soup