Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'm such a geek

l 0 l silver trophybronze trophy lo0ol's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm
    The iPod is way too mainstream to get classified as geek behavior and Firefox is getting there. Also, Firefox doesn't have the lay-person unfriendliness that brands linux as geeky.
    Actually yeah, I agree with you, but what makes you really geeky is the degree to which you understand what's really happening and if you're excited by it. The iPod is not just an MP3 player. Firefox is not just another browser. Only we geeks know the whole picture and why it's so groundbreaking and important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a geek. Just because I am knoweldgeable about things doesn't make me a geek.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdbeardmt
    I'm not a geek. Just because I am knoweldgeable about things doesn't make me a geek.
    You keep telling yourself that

I find it amazing when in conversation with a group of people, and when something computer-related comes up, how LITTLE THEY KNOW COMPARED TO US! I mean, take someone who's AMAZING at a sport and know everything about it, the difference in knowledge between a normal person and that person on that subject isn't as great as with computers!

What does the normal human being think a computer is? A 'screen' and maybe, maybe just they know there's a 'box' attached to it. How do they rate how good a computer is? 'My PC is 160GB man!'. Excellent, but do they know the RPM on that? The cache? No!

Anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    As I was walking through Carnegie Mellon's campus today, clad in my Firefox t-shirt, wearing my white earbuds from my 40 gig iPod I couldn't help but thinking... wow... I'm such a geek. Don't you ever have moments where you just say, "Hey, you know, I'm a total nerd. Holy cow." It's kind of scary, in a nerdy sort of fashion.
    WHere do you live? I got to RMU and live in Moon Township...

- Eric
    Eric Coleman
    We're consentratin' on fallin' apart
    We were contenders, now throwin' the fight
    I just wanna believe, I just wanna believe in us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 100% geek and damn proud of it!

If devshed wasn't down atm, I'd post a link to the "You know you're a geek when..." thread I started yesterday. Already up to 6 pages!
    Defender's Designs
    I'm Getting Married!

Not-so-patiently awaiting Harry Potter Book 7 *sigh*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lo0ol
    ... what makes you really geeky is the degree to which you understand what's really happening and if you're excited by it.
    I like the idea of broader awareness being the characterizing feature of geekieness.

Quote Originally Posted by N9ne
    I mean, take someone who's AMAZING at a sport and know everything about it, the difference in knowledge between a normal person and that person on that subject isn't as great as with computers!
    I expect that a lot of people don't think about the big picture when it comes to their jobs -- even those who are very good at their jobs. I bet you'd have some trouble getting a nuanced opinion about the role of professional sports out of a professional athlete... or a comparable opinion from someone of another profession. That kind of soul searching often reduces people to party rhetoric.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?