SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in the process of setting up a directory of painting artists with websites. As I want to also have a thumbnail example of each artists work along with their name, art media used and major subject matter I wish to contact the artists by email and request their permission to show this and link it to their site.

I will initially visit sites and get addresses and email them.

My question is what is the best way to grab the email adddress from their site and place it in an address book? Also when sending an email in bulk to many sites using Netscape's email handler is there a way to ensure the header doesn't show a list of everyone who got the email?

I appreciate there a people out there that will consider this spamming, which I guess it is, but if their was good spam then this would qualify. Our artist friends whom we have contacted either in person phone or email all say they would welcome the opportunity to be provided more exposure provided it is done in a professional way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by gthorley
    Also when sending an email in bulk to many sites using Netscape's email handler is there a way to ensure the header doesn't show a list of everyone who got the email?
    Yes, there is. Send it using a Blind Carbon Copy (BCC), this way, no e-mail addresses show up except the person in the "To:" field.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spam is Spam, I dont think you should try this at all. If few people contact your hosting comapny you may get the boot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Sending a blind solicitation to someone's site is playing Russian Roulette.

Even with opt-in email lists you always get someone who either forgets they opt'd in or whatever and complains that you spammed them.

Given how vile anything even remotely spam-like is considered it's a risky game these days.
    Ocean View Host - Affordable web hosting plans for any business.
    Modern Technology, Old Fashioned Value & Service!
    U.S. Merchant Services - Reliable merchant account services for all business!
    Quality People Providing A Quality Service!

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try renting legitimate opt-in email lists through postmasterdirect.com or yesmail.com .
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by NeuAds
    Spam is Spam, I dont think you should try this at all. If few people contact your hosting comapny you may get the boot!
    Just wanted to add I wasn't agreeing with his idea or promoting spam, but I was just simply answering his question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be an artist, and I would much prefer to be emailed individually (it's fairly easy to tell if it's a mass email even if BCC is used) I have no problem in general with people I don't know emailing me but this sort of thing would just get deleted. If it isn't worth someone's time to email me individually then it's not worth my time to scan my work etc.
    ...KartLink...