SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

I recently hooked up with a host which now offers me all the extras (PHP, MySQL etc). My site used to be based on a free server which didn't support any CGI or anything like that. My point is that I run an extensive links section on my site which is dedicated to educational links.

I hand coded all of the links in the past but now wonder if there's an easy way to implement the links without coding them all by hand in the future. I would appreciate any suggestions or pointers. I have a little experience in both CGI and MySQL but haven't had a chance to really get in to them because of college commitments. Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. To view what I have at the moment please go to http://www.irishstudentnet.com/educational.html

Thanks in advance,

Anthony
    Anthony - How's tings?

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
    Contact me by: PM Email NEW! Carrier Pigeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet would be to use a database to store the links and access them using PHP or CGI. If you are not sure how to do this, there is an excellent article on SitePoint that explains how to get started using PHP and MySQL.. Read Here.

Or, if you want to get some premade linking scripts, check out the HotScripts directory: PHP Scripts or Perl Scripts
    Steve Caponetto - [profile] [e-mail]
    CreedFeed.com - feed your need for Creed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you have CGI access you might also want to think about a ready-made script such as iLink. It's a pared-down version of the pricey Hyperseek script, and it's free. I used it last year to make a Yahoo-like directory for a business site and it worked like a charm. Of course, the quantity of links it housed was small, comparatively speaking, but it was ideal for the site since it allowed the owner a simple way to add/delete links, as well as approve/reject suggested links.

Even though I'm pretty handy at installing and configuring scripts on my own, I really did appreciate the auto-install feature that the developer provides. It also made subsequent version upgrades a snap.

Since it is a Perl script, though, it does take significant resources to run. So, if you have, literally, a ton of links, you're better off using something more efficient, like PHP.
    Jenny

==========================
    ...living the backstory...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps this would be a good time to learn some scripting.

My choice would be PHP, as it is really quite easy to start, and there is a good intro by Kev on the sitepoint site.

It shouldn't be hard to create a simple script that loads links from a database. You could even categorise the links, etc.

Start it small then add extra features to it.
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog Twitter Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework Jokes Android stuff