SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next Generation Flash!

I've just seen a video presentation of the features in the next version of the Flash Player. Have a look for yourself at moock.org.

To summarise, it includes:

1. Saffron, a new type-rendering engine
    2. Dramatic performance improvements (a sluggish calendar app jumps from 14fps to 125fps)
    3. Realtime bitmap effects including blurring, dropshadows and a colour matrix
    4. Realtime video alpha channel

How long do you reckon before the download?
    Si
    Are you a Photoshop Jedi Master? Prove it!

Is funky house your bag? You'll love this!

Voice
    , eyes, ears, body and hands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Yeah I don't know when it will be available. but I am looking forward to it.

Later
    Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the drop shadows and glowing options would certainly be a HUGE help in production! I'm certainly going to appreciate them
    Si

Voice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was blown away by the performance increase, FPS was amazing...Now you will see some real multimedia in the future

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsi
    Well the drop shadows and glowing options would certainly be a HUGE help in production! I'm certainly going to appreciate them
    Hello

Yeah I agree. I have always wanted flash to add some effects like these.

Johnny

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, can't wait!
    God Bless,
    Jake

My Blog -- www.mission36teen.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are just more bells and whistles to me, sure it's nice, but Flash is not lacking in the bells and whistles area. What they need to spend their efforts on is accessability. Then and only then will you see people flock to Flash and see it used in different avenues

Im watching you... Solitary R@F's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... sounds great! Hopefully, they wont make AS3.0 yet... I'm still catching up on AS2.0(I know, I'm slow )
    SolitaryGrafix
    PM | EMAIL

"Fail to Plan... Plan to Fail"--- A self-help guru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha
    What they need to spend their efforts on is accessability. Then and only then will you see people flock to Flash and see it used in different avenues
    Yes and no. I agree they need to spend more efforts on accessibility (although the current support isn't as bad as you think it may be). The thing with Flash though is it is a medium for presentation and media, not as much fully blown websites... that's what HTML (or XHTML) was devised for (the sharing of data). I think we'll still see flocks of people moving towards Flash because its a gimick to many people. Unfortunately, this is not a good thing as we will probably find many people trying to make "websites" in Flash who have NO knowledge of usability, accessibility and all those other important practises in media development.
    At the end of the day, what the Macromedia boys have implemented into the next player are some useful improvements. It's just a case of whether people will be using the features just for the sake of it.
    Si

Voice

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are just more bells and whistles to me, sure it's nice, but Flash is not lacking in the bells and whistles area. What they need to spend their efforts on is accessability. Then and only then will you see people flock to Flash and see it used in different avenues
    So frickin' seconded. Standard controls and native back button support please goddammit.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I think about it, I think it's "too little, too late" for Flash. For you who are not following the development of longhorn, it's going to include a new GPU-accelerated graphics API called Avalon, which is very, very, very impressive, especially from a developer standpoint. Longhorn will be released in 2006, and Avalon will simultaneously be released for Windows XP.

Avalon completely blows current (and this future) versions of flash out of the water, and I see it taking a LOT of business from the hands of Macromedia.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Johansson
    The more I think about it, I think it's "too little, too late" for Flash. For you who are not following the development of longhorn, it's going to include a new GPU-accelerated graphics API called Avalon, which is very, very, very impressive, especially from a developer standpoint. Longhorn will be released in 2006, and Avalon will simultaneously be released for Windows XP.

Avalon completely blows current (and this future) versions of flash out of the water, and I see it taking a LOT of business from the hands of Macromedia.
    Macromedia has two years to catch up or exceed though. And will Avalon work on the Web, and will it work nearly everywhere on the web in the same way like Flash does? I think Avalon, depending on implementation, may take away from Flash that happens behind corporate walls, but I'm not so sure it will take away from the current public uses for Flash.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Macromedia has two years to catch up or exceed though. And will Avalon work on the Web, and will it work nearly everywhere on the web in the same way like Flash does?
    Basically, it works everywhere. You just link to an application, or include it in an email, and it launches. The deployment is very impressive - it works everywhere on the web, and is not confined by it. Basically, it's fully capable of replacing the web for applications entierly. Only thing stupid about it is that it is confined to the windows platform.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Johansson
    Only thing stupid about it is that it is confined to the windows platform.
    So how will Mac & Linux users experience it? It does sound like a good deployment technique but its restricting a lot of users whereas Flash doesn't.
    Si

Voice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing stupid about it is that it is confined to the windows platform.
    Doesn't it also require that in two years people still remember what Internet Explorer was?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpease
    Doesn't it also require that in two years people still remember what Internet Explorer was?
    Huh? Avalon has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It supercedes it as a technology.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's always easy to look to the future and say that technology will replace this technology. Yeah, well maybe, but 2 years in the computer industry is a long time my friend. And one thing that we have seen throughout history is typically when one company learns to do something, others will be soon to adopt it. No good idea ever goes unstolen. I think Macromedia has been a company that has always made the adjustments needed and will continue to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? Avalon has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. It supercedes it as a technology.
    Hmm.. For some reason I was thinking that xaml/avalon required IE. Maybe I'm thinking of xamalon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    it's always easy to look to the future and say that technology will replace this technology. Yeah, well maybe, but 2 years in the computer industry is a long time my friend. And one thing that we have seen throughout history is typically when one company learns to do something, others will be soon to adopt it. No good idea ever goes unstolen. I think Macromedia has been a company that has always made the adjustments needed and will continue to do so.
    Two things that I will give Macromedia:
    1. They listen to customer feedback and take it very seriously.
    2. They move fast as a company

I don't think you'll hear their death bell when Longhorn is released, not by a long shot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how will Mac & Linux users experience it? It does sound like a good deployment technique but its restricting a lot of users whereas Flash doesn't.
    They won't. That's what so stupid about it. Java will snatch the OS X market from Microsoft. Linux doesn't have any of the GUI capabilities that that OS X and Longhorn has, so it's impossible to implement the technologies on that platform.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's always easy to look to the future and say that technology will replace this technology. Yeah, well maybe, but 2 years in the computer industry is a long time my friend.
    So, what earth-shattering market changes are you referring to that happened in the latest two years on the internet?
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I think with all the latest security alerts surrounding Microsoft software, Longhorn is going to take some time to penetrate the customer base that was ever so dominant previously. People are looking for alternatives and I don't think they will be happy installing some new software that *could* knacker their systems even more.
    Si

Voice

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I think with all the latest security alerts surrounding Microsoft software, Longhorn is going to take some time to penetrate the customer base that was ever so dominant previously. People are looking for alternatives and I don't think they will be happy installing some new software that *could* knacker their systems even more.
    If you look at consumer surveys, you'll see that Microsoft has a very high standing in trust among consumers. Microsoft is doing a crappy job on wooing consumers, but all it's competitors are even lousier, so they are still in the lead.
    Mattias Johansson

FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's also been noted that people aren't upgrading as rapidily as we once did. I have found this to be true with myself; I still use Office 2000. Why, because how much better can Word really get? I still have Flash MX, not 2004.