SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE vs. Mozilla Issues (HELP!)

Before I start, I want to thank you for looking this thread. If you reply, I thank you again for doing so. Many people use forums for personal gain without considering the wealth of information that they can potentially have, or the true value of the personal assistance that we get for free from people like you taking your time to reply. I sincerely thank you for your contribution

Now, the question:
    I am working on a template for my blog. The problem is that I am designing it in a completely css-driven format. Because of this, there are no tables, no horizontal lines, spacer images, or even background images set into the html code. Even though this is a very nice method, it does not mesh well between IE and mozilla. I have designed the site using Mozilla Firefox for my guide, and for some reason, it looks absolutely awful in Internet Explorer 6 SP2. I would like to make my design look the same in both Mozilla-based browsers and Internet Explorer. Opera and Safari are also considerations, but if I cannot fully support them, I will not care as much.

The page can be found at
    http://www.personal.kent.edu/~sfarkas1/index.htm

http://www.personal.kent.edu/~sfarkas1/index.htm

If a guide to designing IE & Firefox compatible CSS is available, I would greatly appreciate a URL for it.

Thank you, a million times over.

The CSS Clinic is open silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Hi,

and for some reason, it looks absolutely awful in Internet Explorer 6 SP2.
    Can you be a bit more specific about the problems that you are referring to as I have a had quick look at the page in ie6 and firefox and can't really notice any differences

The page looks pretty good in both browers

I don't there is a specific guide to designing in firefox and ie but there are some good sites about that show the ie bugs etc that may trip you up.

The way I do a layout is to check each step of the way in the browsers I want to support. In that way sometimes a slight change in the code can stop you building on a specific function that doesn't work in either browsers the same. If you do this then you can minimise hacks by slight design changes as you go.

However if you create a layout completely in one browser then chances are you are going to have to do a lot of debugging and hacking to get it right in another. Although checking each step of the way may take a little longer at design stage it reaps benfits later on as that you don't have to deconstruct your page to find out where it all went wrong

As I said above if you can explain exactly what problems you want us to look at then it would make life easier for us

Paul

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but I figured out the fixes my code needed by using one of the "example" sites that were linked from sitepoint. I basically ran through their code, and figured out what the differences between theirs and mine were. I made a few changes and experimented, and it somehow worked. I had to use a 'text-align: center' in my body code to get the wrapper to center, and then a 'text-align: left' in the wrapper div, which helped. The rest was helped with a couple <--[if gte ie5]--> hacks in the html file itself.

Thanks anyway!