SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Red
    I can't understand why anyone would drink miller/bud/mich when there are much nicer choices like a good craft beer.
    Off Topic:

Cost could be a factor . But then again, so could the choice not to drink alcohol.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill stick with my heinies and coronas thats the way to go

definately

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilArbos

definately
    Maybe you should sign up for an English Grammar class at the local community college if you're going to participate in threads that deal with education .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilArbos
    Off Topic:

Heineken . Corona . Ever since moving to PA though I've grown fond of Yuengling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia
    Off Topic:

Heineken . Corona . Ever since moving to PA though I've grown fond of Yuengling
    Off Topic:

I'll second that on Heineken . Yuengling is pretty good but I like Kirin better.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DamienArbos

I love how people come on here and try to insult people who short type. Lil red know one is impressed by your ego. Show me some credentials to make me think your not just another board whore who has nothing better to do with there time than try to correct people to compensate for there NO LIFE FACTOR. I'm sick of people like this, you understood everything he said so STFU. Go run for president with your perfect grammar. Wait even the president speaks like a hick

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little if no mind or common sense

first of all i did not right heineken did i??? i wrote heinies, as in a short cut down version of the word. get a clue damn some people have nothing better to do then be loosers.. as you too evidently take that role very seriously

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lil red know one is impressed by your ego.
    *biting my tongue*

Non-Member bronze trophy geniusgoalie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astericks
    samson, you are me 4 yrs ago.

My only option was: Go to univ, get a degree and be part of the assembly line of programmers. Why? Because all my friends were doing it and from the third world country I come from, it was the 'hot' thing to do.

I have a different outlook now that I've done some freelancing that is putting me through univ. I enjoy balancing univ and freelancing. It requires me working 24/7 sometimes, but I definitely enjoy it. It's a great experience.

Also, I'd say dont limit yourself to programming...get a comp sci degree with a minor in business or a joint honors in business and computing [that's the one I'm getting]. In other words, tweak your options a bit.

If I were to choose for you, I'd go for number 2. But you have to choose for yourself.

Number 1 aint bad either. But what's your safety net if you fail to open your own biz?
    [off topic]
    what country were you from?
    [/off topic]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both?

Just a thought, but why not do both? Work and school.....part time. You can always stop school, or you might decide you want to pursue a degree full-time...and you'll already be under way. Just a thought.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Option # 4

Look into Real Estate investing.

Send me a private message to give you some pointers.

P.S. I do not sell anything. These are my beliefs of how REI rules!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what you do.

1st Step decide what you want to be ten to twenty years down the road.
    A) Own your own business, do your own thing, be your own boss.
    B) Join a company, work 9-5 at some thing you like have weekends off etc.
    c) Be a big player, get in a top firm, be an executive, be a mover and shaker.

These are broad definitions but pick a category to work in. Each has benefits and drawbacks as seen below.
    A) Little security, high stress until you make it, salary dependant upon your skills and marketing but will not be stable, could be wealthy could live in a box. High personal achievement realization, great if you want to be your own Boss.
    B) Great security, Good salary, low stress, Do a good job go home.
    C) Security dependant upon your value, Possibility of High income, High stress, You are the boss but working in a corporate environment is different.

As for education here you go.
    A) Don't waste your time, build your experience and projects now and build your client base. At the grass roots your clients will care about your services.
    B) Get your bachelors but stop there, it does mean something when it comes to getting a job and combined with a portfolio of work on the side will land you a better job, remember you will be competing against other applicants.
    C) Get your Masters if you are going for a high tech position because all the other applicants will have it. if your going for a position that requires knowledge but not specialization IE: sales or marketing your bachelors and experience will do.

Don't forget to look at other options like teaching or integrating your love of one thing like web design into a 2nd love like sports (webmaster for a pro-football site etc).
    Take a week think about it, go with your gut instincts.
    Good luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with chrisfer on this one, decide what you want to do and then decide the best way to get it. If you want to run your own business, going to college is not the best or only way to achieve this. However if you want to get a job with a decent firm then it is likely that you will need your college certificates and degrees.

Whatever you decide to do you will need an education, but that does not mean you have to go to college.

It really agitates me when people assume that you can only get an education by going to college. Lets face it, you are aready here at Sitepoint asking questions, interacting with your peers in your chosen industry. Is that not education?

If you decide to pursue your own business, then get an education in that as well, join your local business organization, find lawyers, accountants and other business mentors always ask questions, listen to the answers and read relevant books - all from a wide range of people and sources - then use your brain and make up your own mind.

I'm not against college but if you decide to go, do it because you want to and you feel that it will enrich your life both now and in the future. Don't do it half-heartedly, you should give it your best shot, why waste your time - your life - on something just because it's felt to be the right thing to do.

If you want to work for yourself, you don't have to start freelancing, then get a job with a firm, then start your own firm. As a freelancer, you already have your own firm, it's just a bit smaller than some others at the moment.

The people who truly succeed at life are those who educate themselves - in whatever form that takes - make their own luck and truly give whatever they are doing their all, regardless of whether they have a college education or not.
    Last edited by lanzaman; Dec 10, 2004 at 17:12. Reason: typo

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to say start freelancing and work your *** off. I just dropped out of college because it's a waste of my time and I'm way better off without it. If truly enjoy what you do then you will be much better off jumping right in and putting in tons of hours and gaining lots of experience. Grab a bunch of books and turn off your TV and you will become far better than any school will ever make you. This is just my opinion of course, but school for design is pretty much a joke. If you're going for something else, however, then it may be beneficial. But pretty much all the schools do is have you read from books and do weak assignments that waste your time. Focus your efforts and you will accelerate right on by. Hope that helps you a little.

Oh, and I also agree with thoses who mentioned real estate. It may sound really weird to you, but after learning about it and going at it part time for a few years you can make a healthy profit and not even need any job to get by . Think about it a little and you may find real estate to be a great way to produce cashflow while allowing you to focus on hobbies you enjoy. Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    College is going to teach you much more than how to program. If thats the reason, then go pick up a couple of books and lock yourself in your room for a month.

College will make you a more well-rounded, educated individual. You are going to gain knowledge beyond web design. You will learn to write, speak, and communicate. It will give your business more credibility, and if the business were to fall through you would have your degree to fall back on. Definitely keep the freelance stuff going, but I would highly suggest college. You can still do the freelance while you are there.

Beyond personal growth, college is essentially 4 years of networking. That beer is just helping you get a future client. :P The people you become friends with at college are going to branch off into a wide range of careers and businesses. That can do nothing but help your webdesign business.

Final thought. Maybe you'll get to college and find something that you like even better than webdesign?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, I forgot all about this thread :P

After lots of research and talking to people I decided to attend university.

Since:

1) Education in more than the it field
    2) mental stimulation
    3) Bettering my skills